Focus Bracketing in X-S10 does not work as per the user manual.

DaveC

Page 92 of the user manual in step 3 says:
'Focus on the nearest end of the subject and press MENU/OK. The selected focus distance appears as A on the focus distance indicator.'

This does not happen, when I press MENU/OK I get the main menu displayed.

I have watched several you tube videos for X-T3 cameras and focus bracketing and none of them show you how to mark the first and last focal points. In fact they often complain that you cannot do that.

I would like to use in-camera focus stacking when taking low light landscapes with wide apertures so would appreciate any help with this. I realise I can do them manually using a tripod but in-camera would allow me to focus stack hand held.

Many Thanks.

Yes I have, it does not discuss the setup as explained in the X-S10 user manual. Using the advice in this video I can get the camera to Focus Bracket but it is guesswork as to where the focussing stops. 

Thanks for your reply, Dave.

He said camera stops shooting when it reach the infinity. That means that everything within DOF range would be in focus. So it looks like you might control "far end" by changing DOF. My guess.

Edited by mdm

This video by David Hoult discusses the relationship between dof, step and frames that mdm mentions:

He is using a X-T30.

According to the X-S10 manual, your camera has an automatic feature where everything is calculated for you once you, of course, get all of the menu choices properly set up. That option sounds like quite a boon for macro shooters!

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en-int/manual/x-s10/taking_photo/bracketing/

What happens when you try that?

I have tried the auto settings and the camera fired off dozens of frames when I set it to 5. 

My real problem is with the section in the user manual that I explained in my first message. The manual says I can specify the start and end points but it does not work. For landscape work this is essential, you cant stand there waiting for the camera to fire off a large number of frames when hand holding the camera.

I would love to hear from anyone who has found out how to do this.

Clearly I need to experiment a lot with the settings available.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the help, Dave.

Success, the Auto focus bracket setting now works as intended. My mistake was in selecting the Drive mode first and then trying to set the menu settings. 

I would like to thank everyone who has offered assistance in this, you have all been most kind. This is the advantage of a good user forum.

Happy New Year to you all, Dave.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/7/2021 at 12:15 AM, jerryy said:

This video by David Hoult discusses the relationship between dof, step and frames that mdm mentions:

He is using a X-T30.

According to the X-S10 manual, your camera has an automatic feature where everything is calculated for you once you, of course, get all of the menu choices properly set up. That option sounds like quite a boon for macro shooters!

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en-int/manual/x-s10/taking_photo/bracketing/

What happens when you try that?

This is a very helpful video about focus Fuji x-S-10 camera. Thanks for sharing this post.

On 1/6/2021 at 1:48 PM, DaveC said:

Page 92 of the user manual in step 3 says:
'Focus on the nearest end of the subject and press MENU/OK. The selected focus distance appears as A on the focus distance indicator.'

This does not happen, when I press MENU/OK I get the main menu displayed.

I have watched several you tube videos for X-T3 cameras and focus bracketing and none of them show you how to mark the first and last focal points. In fact they often complain that you cannot do that.

I would like to use in-camera focus stacking when taking low light landscapes with wide apertures so would appreciate any help with this. I realise I can do them manually using a tripod but in-camera would allow me to focus stack hand held.

Many Thanks.

I managed to use it today on AUTO mode and the camera took 78 pics. The function worked. Did u managed at all to use the focus bracketing function or not. I did not try the A+B points as u wrote but I guess it is on Manual bracketing. still, to make it work u will have to press the bracketing button anyway.

If you look at my post of 7th January you will see that the problem was resolved, I had been pressing buttons in the wrong sequence, my post explains. This was a problem using manual bracketing and selecting point A + B.

Thankyou very much for showing your interest.