Separating jpeg film simulations from Raw files

I hope I'm in the correct forum.

New Fuji user here! Right now I have my RAW files saved to a separate card slot than JPEG. I like shooting RAW + JPEG to immediately upload my jpegs to social media (Instagram). However, if I shoot JPEG, with a 1:1 ratio, in black and white my RAW files are saved as black and white. When I upload them in CaptureOne I cannot revert them back to color. Whatever I shoot in JPEG, I don't want to happen in my RAW files. I realize I can use the RAW Conversion to take my black and white files and make them color jpegs one at a time, but I would prefer to upload all of my basic RAW files with no simulations added. Can I do this?

Thanks  

Sort of... film simulations are called “curves” in C1.

Going from memory you can go to the color tab and you will see the “curve” showing as “auto” which is the film simulation you used (which is why they are showing as black and white). Once your review this list you will see three C1 choices (extra shadow, high contrast and film standard) and then the Fujifilm film simulations. The last item on the list is Linear Response and this is what you’re looking for, it is basically “no simulation” and rather flat. 

To upload the raw file with no film simulation applied you could do one of two things:

1) Make a preset which applies linear response, then when you import your raw files you can apply this preset to all files being imported. I do this with a default clarity and structure setting and once set up it just happens automatically. 

2) You can import the files as they were shot and then once imported select all the files you imported, turn on the “edit all selected” button and change the curve to linear response. This will change all of the files at once.

With that said, I’d not necessarily recommend defaulting every file to Linear Response. Instead I’d pick a curve to use as a starting point (C1’s Film Standard or Fujifilm’s Provia) and make it your default on import . 

Hope that helps, not in front of the computer so going from memory.

David

Just to clear things a bit, your raw files are NOT being saved as black and white images. The raw data saves a jpg image inside the data file that has your current camera settings — the white balance, the film simulation, etc. — saved inside it. Image editors use that jpg image as a starting point to have something to display, sort of solving the old adage which came first, the chicken or the egg. You could set your camera’s default simulation to Provia as David suggests and run a quick recipe based batch convert using your favorite image editor to convert the images and save them out as black and white jpgs for uploading.

Just curious, why would you upload the raw files to social media? A session with one hundred images is going to take a lot of bandwidth to transfer them in a timely fashion.