New here, hello, and I have a Capture One Express question

Hello everyone. I'm new here as I said in the title. I bought an X-T200 which arrived a week ago. I'd been playing around with it pretty much every day since I got it.

I had an Olympus four-thirds DSLR which I bought more than 10 years ago. It was my first DSLR and I used to learn the basics. The Olympus is obviously old now and it has serious auto focusing problems especially in low light so I've used it sparingly for the longest time. I don't consider myself a total newbie photographer but I'm far from an expert.

Fast forward to now and my X-T200. I absolutely love it! I've never owned a Fujifilm before and almost bought the Canon EOS M50 and was also looking at some of the Sony A6xx. I'm glad I went with Fujifilm!

Question: I downloaded the (free) Capture One Express and using it to review and edit my stills. I shoot JPEG + raw. In CO, I went to Metadata but the film simulation is not listed there. I researched it a bit and found some info that it's supposed to be in Base Characteristics, ICC Profile. But when I go there I only see Fujifilm X-T200 Generic. So where can I find the film simulation in CO, and is it possible to change it? Again, I have both JPEG and raw; wondering if I can change it in post, for example from Provia to Velvia, or whatever simulation I like. Thanks!!!

Congratulations on your new camera.

Right beneath the ICC profile you will see “curve”. It will say auto, pull that down and you will see all of the film simulations listed. Auto is the default and will be the simulation you were using when you took the picture (regardless of which you used). A bit of an odd way of doing it but it makes sense once you learn how C1 uses auto.

You open the list and then you can change the simulation used as you want. You will notice that there is a momentary “flicker” as the image loads with your original simulation and then refreshes with the one you changed it to. When you change from “auto” to the simulation you used originally there will not be a flicker. Hope that makes (or think it will once you do it a time or two).

Dave

I have the .raf file selected. ICC Profile is Fujifilm X-T200 Generic. I checked that dropdown but the simulations are definitely not there. Below it is the Curve dropdown. When I click on it there are no film simulations listed. It has Auto, Film Extra Shadow, Film High Contrast, Film Standard and Linear Response. That's it, like I said no film simulations there. I wonder if it has something to do with the X-T200, meaning if I had a different camera if it would be available, This is just me speculating though.

My camera is not supported.

Here's the support page about Fujifilm film simulations. https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002589937-Fujifilm-Film-Simulations

It says this: If the film simulations do not appear, be sure the camera model is supported (in the chart above) and also that the file is not a JPG. Only RAW (RAF) files are supported.

The X-T200 is NOT listed in the supported cameras chart on the page. This is disappointing and I may have to search for a different software.

4 hours ago, mainmanmike said:

My camera is not supported.

Here's the support page about Fujifilm film simulations. https://support.captureone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002589937-Fujifilm-Film-Simulations

It says this: If the film simulations do not appear, be sure the camera model is supported (in the chart above) and also that the file is not a JPG. Only RAW (RAF) files are supported.

The X-T200 is NOT listed in the supported cameras chart on the page. This is disappointing and I may have to search for a different software.

You can get simulations in "Fujifilm x-raw studio". I'll let you know if i found a workaround for c1 express version to show simulation in xt200 file's . Have a nice day ahead !

17 minutes ago, K PRETHVIRAJ said:

You can get simulations in "Fujifilm x-raw studio". I'll let you know if i found a workaround for c1 express version to show simulation in xt200 file's . Have a nice day ahead !

Okay i found something kind of a workaround !  .

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4147555

So this way you can add the simulations which will work for xt200 .

I hope this helps , have a nice day ahead !

Edited by K PRETHVIRAJ

@K PRETHVIRAJ thank you.

I installed X Raw Studio but it didn't work and when I checked compatibility, X-T200 isn't listed. So no luck there. This is the list of compatible cameras: http://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/software/x-raw-studio/

The suggested workaround for C1 from what I can tell are for X-Trans cameras. X-T200 has a Bayer sensor. I also saw elsewhere someone with an X-T100 (which also has a Bayer sensor) try it but it didn't work.

Finally, I found out about RAW FILE CONVERTER EX powered by SILKYPIX. It's free and can be downloaded from here: https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/software/raw-file-converter-ex-powered-by-silkypix/

I downloaded it and tried it out on a few .raf files. I was able to change the film simulations with it! It's too bad I like the way C1 organizes photos and videos into albums and so on but as I said, can't work w/ simulations. So unless I find some other way I think I will use C1 for organizing files and the Silkypix for playing around with film simulations. A bit of a drag having to use both but it works.

7 hours ago, mainmanmike said:

@K PRETHVIRAJ thank you.

I installed X Raw Studio but it didn't work and when I checked compatibility, X-T200 isn't listed. So no luck there. This is the list of compatible cameras: http://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/software/x-raw-studio/

The suggested workaround for C1 from what I can tell are for X-Trans cameras. X-T200 has a Bayer sensor. I also saw elsewhere someone with an X-T100 (which also has a Bayer sensor) try it but it didn't work.

Finally, I found out about RAW FILE CONVERTER EX powered by SILKYPIX. It's free and can be downloaded from here: https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/software/raw-file-converter-ex-powered-by-silkypix/

I downloaded it and tried it out on a few .raf files. I was able to change the film simulations with it! It's too bad I like the way C1 organizes photos and videos into albums and so on but as I said, can't work w/ simulations. So unless I find some other way I think I will use C1 for organizing files and the Silkypix for playing around with film simulations. A bit of a drag having to use both but it works.

Glad you found a workaround ! .if i find something new , I'll let you know .or if you find something yourself again , please let me know toooo ! . thanks in advance , have a nice day ahead !