I Bought a New Fuji GFX 50r ... need a little help

mart46, you are right. I got Fuji on the phone and the tech explained that there is no way to turn it off, however, if you are shooting raw, it only shows the effects on the LCD. Once the card is read by the computer, it is a normal raw image with no film simulation effect. 

I may be a tad late to this party but if you ever shot film that was a "film simulation" whether you liked it or not.  I used to shoot Fuji Velvia, or Kodak Vericolor, or Ilford B&W etc, etc  

With that said you can create a custom setting on the Fuji that will give you the FLATTEST look possible if that's what you are looking for.  There are certain settings if you want to capture the maximum dynamic range, etc.  I use this one as my C7 setting on my 50r and other Fuji's but the images in the LCD look like crap.  So plan on doing post-processing.  

If you are that unhappy with the simulations maybe try Provia.  It's as plain vanilla as you can get I think

Provia is indeed the most standard film simulation of all. When you use that as a starting point and create a custom profile dialing down all highlight, shadow and color settings to -1 or -2 you get a very flat profile in jpegs. You can also set the screen to 'Natural Live View' in the Setup>Screen Setting menu (switch it to ON). That way it will not display film simulations on screen (just monochrome and sepia when selected).

Note that when you select a film simulation (any) that information is also stored in the RAW file. Some RAW-convertors use that for display purposes when importing the RAW file. You can easily bypass that by selecting the required ICC profile and curve. In Capture One by default the RAW image will be displayed using the selected film simulation (camera specific ICC profile and curve on AUTO). When you want to see the pure RAW image in Capture One you should select LINEAR as a curve, You can default this in the import dialogue. 

• 2 months later...

your RAW image can be converted to anything ... but if you want a jpeg it has to do something (some film simulation as they call it). The default jpeg is FILM SIMULATION PROVIA/STANDARD. You can also make a 'custom' FILM SIMULATION or your own 'recipe' and use that ...

Edited by peter50R
added