Photos missing from sd card - but show up on/in camera.

jomo

I recently took a whole bunch of photos on the X-S10 and when I put the sd card ( Lexar premium series 64GB SDXC U1 10 )  in my iMac, they didn't show up on any programme that I tried to open them in, -  Lightroom, Exposure X6, Luminar, Fuji Raw studio, Apple photos etc. BUT, they did show up on the camera. Oddly enough I was able to transfer the jpegs via wifi to my ipad pro using Fuji Cam Remote. Is this a common occurrence? I've heard something similar has happened with other Fuji cameras such as the XT-20. and x100V.  My solution thus far, has been to reformat the SD card IN the camera and I'm hoping it doesn't happen again. ( after reformatting, they are now showing up in camera and in the various programmes - both jpegs and raw) Anyone have any experience of this ? Or found some setting I may have to change.

Thanks

Edited by jomo
typo

The raf files from the X-S10 are not yet recognized by Apple’s operating systems (Big Sur, Catalina, etc.). So any program that relies on using the underlying Apple Raw Converter — this is part of the os, will not “see” the raw files as being something they can work on. This issue is usually handled quickly by the folks at Apple in their minor os updates.

In the mean time, you should be able to open the card in the Finder, get the listing of the raf and jpg files, and copy them to your desired destination folder. Then open the raw files in any editing program that does its own X-S10 raf conversions. As far as the jpg files are concerned, they should be recognized by all of the image editors as well as being viewable in the Finder.

Edited by jerryy

Yes, for the most part that works with all the images on my card that it recognises. All the programmes I open the xs10 files in recognise the raw files are there,  but just can't preview them or convert them. What I'm talking about is a whole series of images do not show up anywhere as being on the card, from one day to the next. All the previous raw and jpeg files are there, and can be seen and found, and imported ( if not converted ) The images that could not be seen by my mac or any software, where still to be seen when I previewed all the images in camera. They could not seen anywhere else other than in / on the camera itself. They were not even seen by my ipad pro 2020 in Files when the sd card reader was attached. Every other previous image was there - except the ones that weren't !  As I said, I transferred the ' non visible' jpeg's via wifi to my ipad and I managed to save the images. But i hope this doesn't happen again. It's the first glitch I've ever really had with a Fuji camera this far. Though I found another one tonight. I was shooting in filter mode using the soft filter to shoot a christmas tree reflected in a window, and the camera just got stuck in that mode. All the dials stopped working and the image froze on the screen - then after about 30's of switching out of scene / filter mode and back - it sprung back to life. I was using the 23mm 1.4

I foresee Kaizen, on the horizon :-)

That does sound a bit odd for not being seen in your iMac's finder view ...

Try this. Put the card in your card reader and connect it to your iMac. Start the Terminal program (it is in the Utilities folder) and type in the following at the prompt:

cd /Volumes (and hit the return key).

Your card should have some name, say Untitled 1 or something like that. Type in:

cd 'Untitled 1'  (and hit the return key).

-- the ' ' characters are there to make sure that any spaces in the name get included. If the name has spaces and you leave of the ' ' characters,  the command will not work. Type:

ls -la  (and hit the return key).

-- this should give a file / folder listing. From here, you will need repeat the process to move to the folder you have the images in. This will take a few steps and can be combined into one command as FOR EXAMPLE:

cd '/Volumes/Untitled 1/DCIM/113_FUJI'

which will move directly all the way to the 113_Fuji folder. Then type in:

ls -la   (and hit the return key).

You should get a full listing of all files in that folder including any 'hidden' files.

Now at this point is is possible to use Terminal to copy your files to your desired destination, but that is a joy saved for another time. Right now, the thing is to be able to find the missing files.

Before quiting the Terminal listing stuff, type

cd (and hit the return key). Then use the finder to eject the card.

Edited by jerryy

Thanks for the detailed reply. I don't use Terminal very often, so was unaware of this function.  As it stands, I've already reformatted the card, so I don't think the missing files or old folder listings are still on the card.

Should it happen again, I will use this method to try and find them.

Thank for your help.

A bit late here in answering but you could have used the included Silkypix, or the FUJI RAW STUDIO.  True, it's not as sweet as LR or C1Pro but you could have processed the raw files there, and exported them as JPEGS.  Something to consider if this happens again.

Hi, I didn't try silkypix, but they didn't show up in Studio Raw either. The problem was, they showed up in camera, but as soon as I plugged the sd card into any software on my mac, the images -raw or jpeg - from that shoot didn't show up anywhere, so I couldn't import them at all. There was nothing to import.  I did wifi them across to my ipad pro straight from the camera using Cam Remote from Fuji. It's all very strange.

I ran into this exact same problem as Jomo, but on my X-T3 recently. 400+ photos from a recent photo shoot were showing up on the camera, but when attempting to read the SD card on the Mac, none of the newer raw/jpeg images showed up for importing via Apple Photos, Image Capture, etc. and I also tried accessing directly on the Finder and via Terminal, but the files were not there either. I also tried to load the SD card on a Windows laptop as well, with the same issues (older photos visible, but none of the new ones). The 400 photos could only be accessed via the camera.

After turning the camera on and off a few times, the 400+ photos from the photo shoot have now completely disappeared from the camera entirely, and I did not have the opportunity to import the photos via the Cam Remote app. My hunch is that the photos were cached on disk somehow, and the cache was wiped out after a few system boots.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to recover these photos?

Given this recent nightmare, I'm thinking I will need to set the card slot setting to "BACKUP" just so I can have photos duplicated on a second SD card, but I don't know if I will run into this caching issue again on both cards.

4 hours ago, Olaf W. said:

Sounds like a corrupted file system on the SD card, or a hardware failure of the flash storage. There are repair tools that sometimes can salvage lost photos (at least some of them). Write protect the card before doing anything with it and don‘t use it in the camera anymore.

Yes, I changed the card, as it more than likely was the culprit. 

5 hours ago, sirmandy said:

I ran into this exact same problem as Jomo, but on my X-T3 recently. 400+ photos from a recent photo shoot were showing up on the camera, but when attempting to read the SD card on the Mac, none of the newer raw/jpeg images showed up for importing via Apple Photos, Image Capture, etc. and I also tried accessing directly on the Finder and via Terminal, but the files were not there either. I also tried to load the SD card on a Windows laptop as well, with the same issues (older photos visible, but none of the new ones). The 400 photos could only be accessed via the camera.

After turning the camera on and off a few times, the 400+ photos from the photo shoot have now completely disappeared from the camera entirely, and I did not have the opportunity to import the photos via the Cam Remote app. My hunch is that the photos were cached on disk somehow, and the cache was wiped out after a few system boots.

Given this recent nightmare, I'm thinking I will need to set the card slot setting to "BACKUP" just so I can have photos duplicated on a second SD card, but I don't know if I will run into this caching issue again on both cards.

This described exactly what happened to me. the old photos were there but not the new. Let's hope if it wasn't the card, that the issue will be addressed in a firmware update. Should it happen again, get them via cam remote immediately, before they disappear completely.  

8 hours ago, sirmandy said:

Given this recent nightmare, I'm thinking I will need to set the card slot setting to "BACKUP" ... 

Using the backup approach is a very good idea.

Sandisk works with a company that sells sd card recovery programs / apps.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985/~/data-recovery-for-memory-cards-and-flash-drives

They have a demo version that you can use to see if it will work to get back your lost images, then buy the license to finish the job. The current cost for the program is US$ 40.

On 12/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, jerryy said:

Using the backup approach is a very good idea.

Sandisk works with a company that sells sd card recovery programs / apps.

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4985/~/data-recovery-for-memory-cards-and-flash-drives

They have a demo version that you can use to see if it will work to get back your lost images, then buy the license to finish the job. The current cost for the program is US$ 40.

Thanks so much for linking the Sandisk program and refreshing my memory about this - I was actually using a Sandisk SD card which came with a free subscription to this exact software (RescuePRO Deluxe), but I had totally forgotten about it. Happy to say that after 5+ hours of recovering, I was able to use it to retrieve 523 images that I thought were wiped out. What a huge relief!

The fact that they included the subscription to the recovery software makes me concerned that this is a very frequent problem (SD card file integrity issues), otherwise they wouldn't be bundling the software with their SD cards. Not sure if it was a buffer-specific issue with the Fuji camera (X-T3) itself, as it seems like I was doing multi-bursts (~11 fps) in CH mode at the moment when the storage was corrupted (also noticed a few frames that were malformed too even after recovery).

Had the exact same problem as Jomo, pics show up on camera but, although the X-S10, when plugged into my Mac, registers on Apple Photos and Raw Capture, both programmes say no photos can be found. If I take the SD card out of camera and plug into my Mac via a card reader, all photos who up, so definitely not a problem with the card (bought from Park Cameras). Is it a problem with the camera, does anybody have a definitive answer? 

I'm a complete novice and no tech skills whatsoever, so would appreciate any forthcoming help in the simplest terms.

8 hours ago, photo fan said:

Had the exact same problem as Jomo, pics show up on camera but, although the X-S10, when plugged into my Mac, registers on Apple Photos and Raw Capture, both programmes say no photos can be found. If I take the SD card out of camera and plug into my Mac via a card reader, all photos who up, so definitely not a problem with the card (bought from Park Cameras). Is it a problem with the camera, does anybody have a definitive answer? 

I'm a complete novice and no tech skills whatsoever, so would appreciate any forthcoming help in the simplest terms.

Check the menu setting: Connection Setting >> PC Connection Mode >> and make sure it is set to USB CARD READER (The default settings may have it set to USB RAW CONV./BACKUP RESTORE.) Change it if necessary. Shut the camera off, turn it back on and check to make sure the setting 'stuck'. Then plug your camera into your Mac and use your photo software for the transfer. I find that using Image Capture instead of the others turns out to be easier to transfer the raw images to the computer's drive.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have run into the problem that Jomo and AndrewHF have described repeatedly with my XT3 and MAC O/S.  I have had the problem with Big Sur, Mojave and High Sierra (just never had a machine with Catalina) but not Windows O/S.  It has something to do with how Fujifilm is formatting the cards.  Something to do with too many clusters.  (I found this out painfully by using Disk Utility to try to repair the card. Big mistake.)   I thought it was only with 128GB cards but it has even happened with my 64 GB.   You can lose about 5 GB of data. The pics show up on camera but if you try to download them using an SD card reader on your computer some are missing.  For example, on time-lapse shoot that I'm currently downloading, there are pics on one card in folder 102 running from-9658 to -9999 and then folder 103-0001 to 4557, but only up to -4096 shows up on my Mac.     

And it's not always the last set of pictures.  Depending on where you start the file numbering it could easily occur in the first folder.  It's tied to too many files in a folder so you need to be super careful.  

I have tried to report this to Fuji but I guess I didn't explain it properly.  The solution I have come up with is to first download with SD card reader, because it's so much faster and then re-insert card into camera and use IMAGE Capture software to download the missing files.  All Mac computers have this software.  Make sure to set up the USB connection on your camera and to connect USB cable to camera and computer before turning on camera.  Then start up Image Capture and BE PATIENT!!  IF the camera light is flashing, data transfer is occurring.  This can take a very long time as will data transfer.  I'm fortunate to have an old laptop where I do these downloads so that it doesn't bog down my main machine.

Hope this helps!  I'd love if there would be a firmware update to correct this!

Luckily, I was able to transfer the files from in camera via wifi to my iPad, and it was the only thing that worked. Since adding a brand new SD Card, and reformatting the card inside the camera, it hasn't happened again. Thank you for identifying the problem with the formatting, and solution. 

• 3 weeks later...

Happened to me today lost loads of images raw and JPEG’s  some missing images were viewable on the camera but not on sd card when importing to iPad and pc . The images viewable on the camera have now disappeared,the only thing I can think I’ve done different is I used pre-shot (never used it before) 

It seems this is a bug that really could use a 'Kaizen' fix. It has happened to several people on this forum, so we can only imagine how many times it has happened to others who we never hear of. 

I was able to save many of my files by using Fuji Cam Remote and import my images into my ipad using WiFi. I hope you tried this. I also put a new SD card in, and since then it has not happened again. There are a couple of other solutions offered on this thread. Good luck.

Edited by jomo
typo