Fuji x-S10 and Fujifilm X Webcam

0301chris

Just got my new x-S10, updated firmware and hooked it up to my PC using the Fujifilm x Webcam 2 software and a USB cable. In zoom, the camera works as "Fujifilm X Webcam 2". However, the Fuji X webcam app does not turn on and I cannot use any of its settings such as exposure compensation or film simulation. My PC did update the .net drivers after installing the Webcam app. I also tried deinstalling and reinstalling the webcam app. No luck. Anyone has any ideas? Many thanks!

Although it seems to indicate that the X Webcam 2 is compatible with the X-S10, I'm having the same issues as well - the X Webcam 2 does not detect the X-S10 camera. Tried it on 3 different computers, different cables, different USB ports, plugged in directly (even tried connecting via hub though apparently this is not recommended). 

The camera has the current firmware. The camera is set to Connection Mode | X Webcam. Unfortunately, the camera does not have any other USB tethering modes so I cannot use it as a webcam other than with the X Webcam 2 software (which is not working at the moment).

At least now we know we're not the only ones having this issue.

Talked to Fuji support. they confirmed that the camera is not compatible with x webcam 2 despite their claims.

I am so annoyed at Fuji after they refused to allow the x-t30 to be used over USB. and now this. I returned the camera. there are no technical reasons, these are just marketing decisions.

Thanks 0301chris for checking and confirming.

This is disappointing to hear. From a cost/features/build standpoint, the X-S10 looks good. But I expect Fuji to live up to their part of the bargain - if they market certain features to be supported, then it should do just that.

So at this point, not only does the X-S10 not work with X Webcam 2, without USB tethering, it will not even work as a regular webcam! At least the X-T200 does.

In comparison, I find if Sony states it has feature X, it really has it and works as advertised. The a6400 works great as a webcam - emphasis on "work".

If it weren't for IBIS and Film Simulation, it would've been an easier decision to return the X-S10. I'll wait to see if they enable this in a future firmware update.

Interesting. I'm on firmware 1.01 for X-S10.

X Webcam 2 doesn't detect the camera. But X Acquire does and I can save camera settings to a file.

I also have an X-T200 and a6400. With X-T200 the :regular webcam works and but definitely not compatible with X Webcam 2.

Even on a newer, clean-install computer, no luck with X-S10 and X Webcam 2. 

15 hours ago, natswright said:

I'm using PC, and it definitely works, just so control over settings in the app or camera. With the X Webcam option in the cameras menu, I find it hard to believe that Fuji said it was not supported?

The video signal is just patched through like with the x-t200, none of the app settings work with the camera. Calling this "compatible" is misleading. The way Fuji does not just make this very clear before you buy it is really fishy....btw I could get a USB video signal in zoom. but the FHD sognal was visibly stuttering and I lost the signal randomly within a period of 10-40 sec. never got a stable video in zoom on 2 win 10 PCs and different USB cables. Returned the camera yesterday. really thinking about leaving the Fuji family, when they choose not to support webcam functionality in their new cameras which for many currently is an essential tool in their work lives!

Refer to this link - https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/webcam-support/.

Fuji has two methods to allow certain camera models to work as a webcam:

• X Webcam 2
    • This software is compatible with higher-end models. This enables access to some camera settings such as Film Simulations, white balance, etc. Obviously, this should result in a more professional-grade look compared to even the best dedicated webcams in the market.
    • In the link above, the X-S10 is not listed as a supported model (as of this writing).
    • This link however https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/compatibility/software/x-webcam/ includes the X-S10 as a supported camera model (as of this writing). 

NOTE: Sony has an equivalent feature. I have had several positive comments when using my a6400 for videoconferencing (Zoom/Teams/Webex) and have been asked for advise on how others can do the same thing. From the looks of things, the Sony controls are more advanced - I can even control the frame rate.

• Webcam Mode
    • This is unique to the X-A7 and X-T200 cameras.
    • This does not require software to be installed on the PC. Instead, this requires a firmware upgrade on the camera to enable the USB Webcam feature.
    • This is "plug and play". No other settings can be changed.
    • The video quality is not professional-grade.

NOTE: I tried using my X-T200 as a webcam but I switched back to the a6400. On the X-T200, the video quality was not good and as well, it does not charge the battery while in use.

UPDATE: Just now, I tried the X-S10 with Zoom. It appears the X Webcam 2 software is needed just so that I can use the X-S10 in Zoom. Without X Webcam 2, it does not work. I'll experiment with it some more. Regardless, the X Webcam 2 software still does not detect the camera so there's no access to the "special" settings and therefore the video quality is not professional-grade.

The good news: this probably indicates this is not a physical defect. The bad news: we'll have to wait and hope that Fuji fixes this the next time they release updates.

More and more, consumers have become beta testers. Manufacturers release products at such a rate where it is almost an expectation that some features will not work out-of-the-box. Manufacturers release products in order to meet release dates with the intent to fix flaws later. Or, they wait until there are enough of us that point out the problems and demand a fix.

Edited by Joe Roxx
Minor edit - word change

Thanks Joe Roxx! 

can confirm your analysis. had the x-t200 a few weeks ago and video was not great, if I remember correctly I also could not set focus to manual and returned it.

at the moment, I am using my x-t30 with a HDMI capture card and a dummy battery. works ok but I no longer take pictures because disassembling is a hassle...;-) luxury problems, I agree.

Luxury problems 🙂 Indeed, in the overall scheme of things, there are far more pressing issues.

Contemplating leaving the Fuji family? I'm just jumping on-board.

Tech-wise, I find Sony better and am not going to abandon ship entirely (case in point - overheating is not an issue). I "needed" a second camera and found the X-T200 at a substantial discount. And since it came with (the much underrated) XC kit lens, purchase it I did. That was the gateway to the Fuji world - it's the colour science and Film Simulations that got me.

Then came the X-S10 with IBIS. Hook, line and sinker. Now if only Fuji fixes the webcam feature...

If searching for a "high-end" webcam that can act as an alternate or B-roll camera in a pinch, a lower end a6000 series may fit the bill. A Sony a6000 with a 16-50 kit lens was selling for less than the X-T200. (This is kinda the reverse of what I ended up doing).

I did the capture card + OBS, etc. thing earlier on. Definitely a hassle.

hmmmm, less overheating with Sony? Need the cam for longer teaching sessions and overheating is an issue. unfortunately, I bought several great Fuji lenses, so switching is costly. an x-t3 could be an option but then I have this big monster sitting over my PC screen.

this is why the x-t30 or x-s10 are such missed opportunities b/c of their size and weight they could be ideal semi pro webcams. judging from how Fuji refused to enable usb streaming for the for the x-t30 I have no hope that a firmware update will expand the x-s10 capability. enjoy the world of Fuji, other than the webcam issue I love my x-t30 and lenses!

Edited by 0301chris

Fuji added a "bunch o stuff" with the X-T3 in a recent firmware upgrade so I'm more hopeful than not. Sony seldom releases firmware updates (but then again if the product works out of the gate... 🙂).

If the a6400 is any indication, I've had back-to-back-to back meetings that last several hours cumulatively. On some occasions, it's pretty much on for the entire workday. I've no overheating issues to worry about. It doesn't overheat generally speaking. It is also unlikely to overheat for videoconferencing since the camera isn't recording - it's "just" acting as a webcam. Don't need a dummy battery either. This might suit your use case with long teaching sessions.

I've seen an a6000 including a 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens - cost around $600 Canadian dollars (Black Friday). The X-T200 w/ kit lens is sub $700 Canadian on sale. The X-S10 is around $1350-ish Canadian body only. If bokeh isn't a requirement, the Sony combo may do the trick. It would still be definitely better than built-in laptop cameras or even a Logitech top-of-the-line webcam. I also bought a cheap second-hand Sigma 30 mm f2.8 lens. With this, I look like one of those fancy YouTubers. It definitely impresses the folks I have Zoom/Teams meetings with.

The X-T3 is full frame, right? Monstrous footprint indeed. The a6000 line is svelte in comparison. In fact, the a6400 is smaller than the X-S10. And the flip-up screen occupies less space than the fully articulating side-mounted screen of the X-S10.

It may sound like I'm pushing for the Sony but I'm not (apologies if that's how it comes across). It just just seems to fit your needs better than the Fuji options.

I wish some Sony features were on the Fuji - Clear Image Zoom, no recording limit, no overheating. And I wish some Fuji features were on the Sony - colour science, Film Simulations, a power zoom kit lens that remembers the focal length so I don't have to reset it each time I power on the camera, and lastly - a "soul" that makes photography fun. 

Good luck to us all. 

Hey folks, thanks for the detailed descriptions of your experiences. Glad to hear I wasn't going crazy struggling to get it to work.

For now, I have mine working fine through a Blackmagic Webpresenter which I had here anyway so I'm not in a huge hurry... big expense though if I didn't already have it!

I'm hoping Fuji update the camera to work over USB (AS ADVERTISED!) because it means my travel kit would be significantly smaller and simpler. Hopefully by posting here, I might receive a notification if one of you legends makes it work...

Edited by autocol

If anyone wants to use it as a webcam over HDMI, really the only things you need to do are put it on movie mode, put face and eye detection on, and turn the auto-off to 'never' in power management. Oh, and I think I had to set the HDMI output to 'clean' as well.

9 hours ago, autocol said:

If anyone wants to use it as a webcam over HDMI, really the only things you need to do are put it on movie mode, put face and eye detection on, and turn the auto-off to 'never' in power management. Oh, and I think I had to set the HDMI output to 'clean' as well.

great, that you are joining the discussion. I am using a AVerMedia ExtremeCap as a HDMI capture card. works well and is very mobile. using the same settings that you have. runs for hours in my zoom calls. camera gets warm but not hot. FHD with 29.97p and a dummy battery.

I suspect this is a bug, and Fuji will fix it at some point. There is clearly an issue, as the X-S10 is meant to work in the same way the X-T4 does as a web cam. The idea behind the x-a7 is quick and easy 720p plug in and play web cam. While its not 1080p, its far superior to a C920 web cam. The Logitech C920 is pretty much the industry standard too!

Fingers crossed for that fix some time soon!

7 hours ago, natswright said:

I suspect this is a bug, and Fuji will fix it at some point. There is clearly an issue, as the X-S10 is meant to work in the same way the X-T4 does as a web cam. The idea behind the x-a7 is quick and easy 720p plug in and play web cam. While its not 1080p, its far superior to a C920 web cam. The Logitech C920 is pretty much the industry standard too!

Fingers crossed for that fix some time soon!

hope is not a good basis for decision making. if you go to the Fuji x webcam website you get a compatibility chart that lists the x-s10 as "compatible" but does not spell out what that actually means. when you scroll down to the webcam 2.0 description Fuji lists only the following cameras as working with the app: Applicable models are GFX100, GFX 50S, GFX 50R, X-H1, X-Pro3, X-Pro2, X-T4, X-T3 and X-T2. This is also what Fuji service confirmed over the phone. Compatibility in practice means the following: The webcam app recognizes the x-s10 and lists the camera and the installed firmware in the app interface (unlike the x-t30 that it does not recognize). But none of the settings are available. It just patches the camera's video through as a x-webcam for use in skype or zoom etc.

This is a marketing and price discrimination decision by Fuji not a technical problem that will be fixed. If you want T4 webcam functionality at the x-s10's price point you need to get an x-t3.

Edited by 0301chris
additional clarification

On 12/8/2020 at 6:22 PM, 0301chris said:

This is a marketing and price discrimination decision by Fuji not a technical problem that will be fixed.

I'm not so sure about that. I literally just bought my X-S10 having also considered the X-T4, with using it as a webcam one of my primary considerations, and didn't see anything in the marketing materials to make it clear that one would work and one wouldn't.

If it was a marketing angle designed to push some buyers up to the X-T4, it's been executed hilariously badly.

I suspect it's a technical issue that will be addressed in time (and I'm grateful to have my Blackmagic to tide me over in the meantime, otherwise I would no doubt be SUPER shitty at Fuji right now).

I have the same problem as described here.

I can connect the camera to the computer and get an imagine in Zoom and Skype. However, Fujifilm's software remains deactivated. As a result of this, it seems, the camera gets very laggy after a few minutes and becomes totally unusable. 

Please, fix this Fujifilm! Making your cameras usable as webcams should be your #1 priority in 2020! 

• 2 weeks later...

The good news - Version 1.02 of the firmware for the X-S10 was released.

The bad news - X Webcam 2 still does not work with the X-S10.

Only roughly a month in between firmware releases so there's reason to believe this will be fixed. Let's see if the update to the X Webcam software would do the trick.

• 3 weeks later...