Fuji x-S10 and Fujifilm X Webcam

0301chris

On 3/25/2021 at 12:48 AM, CatsAreGods said:

Well, even Canon is now selling (expensive!) "webcam kits" that basically set you up with a dummy battery and power supply to get around this. I expect that someone will soon come up with a product or 3D print design that will do the same for Fujifilm...maybe even Fujifilm.

There are dummy batteries for NP-W126, even a kit from Fuji.

I'm using one, let me know if you want the reference.

i think you could use a cheap capture card and a micro hdmi to hdmi cable to use fujifilm xt-30 and xs-10 as a webcam. i recently saw from omar gonzales video !. well at least until , fujifilm releases a firmware which allow proper use as a webcam like other fujifilm camera's.

USB CAPTURE CARD

MICRO HDMI TO HDMI CABLE

watch his video if you don't know how to do it . if you know , i hope the links helps . have a nice day !

Edited by K PRETHVIRAJ

• 4 weeks later...

Dear all,

Just wanted to thank you all for trying to make the XS-10 work as a webcam.

I am extremely disappointed by Fuji. It was my first camera and I feel tricked by the company. Should have chosen a Sony.

I will resort to a HDMI capture card as well. Seems like the only option. Thank you all for your advice.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 5:21 AM, flamidey said:

There are dummy batteries for NP-W126, even a kit from Fuji.

I'm using one, let me know if you want the reference.

Hey there, I was wondering which dummy battery you are using. The ones on Amazon commonly have reviews saying they don't fit correctly resulting in frequent drops in the connection, especially with the X-S10. The Fuji one appears not to be in stock anywhere. I'd love to know one that is proven to work with this camera.

Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, David Fleetwood said:

Hey there, I was wondering which dummy battery you are using. The ones on Amazon commonly have reviews saying they don't fit correctly resulting in frequent drops in the connection, especially with the X-S10. The Fuji one appears not to be in stock anywhere. I'd love to know one that is proven to work with this camera.

Thanks in advance!

This Andycine is the one I used for a custom battery solution (https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07SB5TM4G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_product_details). I just cut off the connector and kept the adapter :) Once you figure out which way to insert it (and triple check the polarity) and it works, take a picture of the battery in the compartment with your phone and keep it handy so you won't screw something up.

21 hours ago, David Fleetwood said:

Thanks in advance!

I use the Fotga NP-W126 battery coupler and it fits perfectly with a very stable connection.

Thank you very much @CatsAreGods& @flamidey!  I'm also experimenting a bit and I realized that with a higher amperage USB-C power adapter my battery life appears to go down far less quickly. I'm putting an actual USB-C laptop charger on it and tomorrow will see how long it lasts on that. It appears to me that it draws from USB-C first, and if that is not enough power it pulls the extra from the battery. The question is if it supports a high enough amperage via USB-C to not pull from the battery at all.

Hopefully I will know tomorrow. Adding those two dummy batteries to my wishlist however in case I need them.  Thanks again for the replies!

Edited by David Fleetwood

2 hours ago, David Fleetwood said:

Thank you very much @CatsAreGods& @flamidey!  I'm also experimenting a bit and I realized that with a higher amperage USB-C power adapter my battery life appears to go down far less quickly. I'm putting an actual USB-C laptop charger on it and tomorrow will see how long it lasts on that. It appears to me that it draws from USB-C first, and if that is not enough power it pulls the extra from the battery. The question is if it supports a high enough amperage via USB-C to not pull from the battery at all.

Ah, if that's what you're up to, you're in luck because I just did measurements for someone else on this exact topic:

For this kind of nonsense you need both a regular ammeter and a USB ammeter, as well as a 8.4V high current power supply...luckily I did! :)

Edited by CatsAreGods
added note at end

15 hours ago, CatsAreGods said:

Ah, if that's what you're up to, you're in luck because I just did measurements for someone else on this exact topic:

For this kind of nonsense you need both a regular ammeter and a USB ammeter, as well as a 8.4V high current power supply...luckily I did! :)

Thank you, this is what I was looking for and it seems to be about right. I don't know why they don't draw more amps from USB-C, possibly heat considerations I guess but I tested last night and in 1080p30 it ran from 9PM until 9AM and still had one bar left.  Presumably 4k would have cut that time somewhat.  So it seems your conclusion is correct that it draws just under 1A and thus can't run completely off USB.  I have no idea why that is, honestly, seems like an odd design decision.

Best performance for battery was the Anker PowerPort III which I use normally with my laptop, it's 60W and clearly can deliver a lot more than the X-S10 can utilize. It did max it out and was better than the generic and Apple USB-C chargers I used even though both are rated above what the draw you measured receive. Not sure why Anker did better, but it was significant.

Link to that one here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S8SDD4D/

Thank you for this!  Will have to decide if I care enough to go the dummy battery route, but thanks to others I have a couple options for that too.

Thought i'd try this again, to see if recent Big Sur OS updates had made a difference. It still does not work, and to be honest I'm very disappointed in Fujifilm, that they have yet to fix this issue 8 months after the launch of the camera.

With the recent announcement of the GH5 II, they really ought to get their act together, as other camera manufacturers are streets ahead in this area. While this software does work on Windows 10, the M1 Mac has caused a dramatic shift in the numbers of Mac OS devices, and this is something Fuji ignores at their Peril. Users will jump ship, if they feel a camera manufacturer has not updated its existing cameras on a regular basis. Fuji is lacking here recently, for instance, my premium X100V does not have the autofocus and interface updates the X-S10 enjoys, despite being identical internally.

Hi everyone, first post on the forum and I'm a four-day-old owner of an X-S10 as of this post.  I didn't initially want to use this as a webcam but thought I'd check it out.  This thread is full of great information and I hope to add to it.  I've come to the same conclusion as everyone else: the Webcam X 2 software doesn't completely work with the X-S10. 

So, here comes the useful information I didn't find in the other four pages.  I use Streamlabs OBS for streaming and the application recognized the X-S10 as a video source, therefore, this camera can be used as a webcam for streaming/recording.  Also, something I figured out, if you adjust the settings the way you want before connecting to your PC, the camera locks in those settings (keeping in mind, these are the same settings offered in the Webcam X 2 software).  The OBS application can handle any further filtering or corrections necessary.

I was saddened by this entire thread, but through trial and error, got it to work for my situation.  Hopefully, others in the same boat as me won't be feared by a small setback that it doesn't interact with the Webcam X 2 software.  One final fun fact: when I had the camera connected in OBS and the Webcam X 2 software open, Webcam X 2 recognized my device.  None of the drop downs worked, but at least it noticed the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit I'm experiencing some buyer's remorse after trying unsuccessfully to get my new X-S10 working as a webcam and then reading through this thread. It seems there's no good solution (which offers full resolution and other functionality) other than a capture device. When using the X Webcam mode, the camera only outputs 1024x768 30 and doesn't seem to autofocus even if a flavor of autofocus is turned on before connecting the USB.

I fault myself for not doing my research. I just assumed that the X Webcam software would offer full functionality with the X-S10, especially given the "X Webcam" USB mode in the menu. Fuji seemed like they were making such strides in this department over the last year and I thought that all those great improvements would carry over to the X-S10.

Looks like I have some work ahead of me to get this setup up and running.

• 3 weeks later...

New firmware v.2.0 dropped from Fujifilm yesterday for the X-S10. "USB Tether Shooting Auto" is now a Connection Mode option, and "In case of using the FUJIFILM X Webcam the option in the menu changes from “X WEBCAM” to “USB TETHER SHOOTING AUTO”. Also, the setting screen displayed on a PC can be used."

I hope this helps everyone!

10 hours ago, izzymonkey said:

New firmware v.2.0 dropped from Fujifilm yesterday for the X-S10. "USB Tether Shooting Auto" is now a Connection Mode option, and "In case of using the FUJIFILM X Webcam the option in the menu changes from “X WEBCAM” to “USB TETHER SHOOTING AUTO”. Also, the setting screen displayed on a PC can be used."

I hope this helps everyone!

Time to shift this thread into xt-30 forum, since fujifilm , didn't relase a firmware for xt-30 fixing this , even though xt-30 users were also in this same dilemma as xs-10 users !. All x-t 30 users , head to xt-30 section and join the thread for tethering for xt-30 , if this thread isn't moved , will create a thread there in 2 days !. and glad to see xs-10 users can finally use it as a  webcam. but really hoping that fujifilm makes xt-30 useful as a webcam too !. so xt-30 users, wait two days for this thread to be moved to the xt-30 section, or join the new thread which will be started in the xt-30 section , let's post and let fujifilm release tethering support for xt-30 too .. very soon !.

So, as @izzymonkey stated above, the firmware 2.00 update removed the X Webcam Connection Mode and replaced it with the USB tether shooting modes. This allows the camera to be detected by the X Webcam 2 software (using version 2.1). However! The output resolution is still limited to 1024x768 and the framerate looks to be limited to 10 or 15 FPS with a lot of hitching and exposure/focus stepping. So this is not a real solution, yet.

I'd say this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully in the future Fujifilm will allow the X-S10 to output full resolution with X Webcam.

On a personal note, I ended up getting a cheap USB HDMI capture device which works well, but the colors are visibly worse than with the native output. Maybe one day...

• 1 month later...

Is this a problem the X-T4 does not have? I want to use it as a webcam too, for live streaming concerts for example. Does the X-T4 takes the power from the usb input or is it also draining the battery while using it with power on? Theres a dummy kit to go around this so thats ok for me but  just found out it doesnt output is not Full HD ! WTF how is this even possible? :D I have one week to return the camera... does the X-T4 outputs full HD?

Edited by benv

On 7/8/2021 at 6:05 PM, svgnbl said:

So, as @izzymonkey stated above, the firmware 2.00 update removed the X Webcam Connection Mode and replaced it with the USB tether shooting modes. This allows the camera to be detected by the X Webcam 2 software (using version 2.1). However! The output resolution is still limited to 1024x768 and the framerate looks to be limited to 10 or 15 FPS with a lot of hitching and exposure/focus stepping. So this is not a real solution, yet.

Sounds like I shouldn't update my X-S10 to firmware 2.0.  I will wait until they get the full resolution.  For a live streaming setup lasting anywhere between 2 and 4 hours, being connected as a X Webcam and using Streamlabs works well and has a crispy clear picture.

Again, depends on what your needs are, but if you casually stream video games for a hobbyist amount of time like myself, the X-S10 makes a fine webcam.  If you want to stream longer, I recommend getting a second battery and just switching it out when the first dies.

• 8 months later...

Well, I just tried and it didn't work. Here's what I did:

1. On my X-S10 > Connection Settings > Connection Mode > USB Tether Shooting Auto
  2. Connected the X-S10 to my Macbook Pro M1 Pro via USB cable (note: I had to use a USB-A to USB-C adapter to do this, because my Macbook Pro doesn't have USB-A ports)
  3. Opened Fujifilm X Webcam 2
  4. Opened Zoom and selected Fujifilm X Webcam 2 as the camera

However, I didn't see any picture. Instead, I get this error message in the video window where the picture from the X-S10 should be:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

According to the manual, the cause of this is "The camera was connected in the wrong mode. Select USB TETHER SHOOTING AUTO for CONNECTION MODE in the camera menus." 

But as I explained above, I have already selected that in the camera menus. 

Any ideas?

If I don't need to use the features of Fujifilm X Webcam software (which isn't working for me anyhow), can I just connect the X-S10 directly to my Macbook Pro using HDMI? (The Macbook Pro has an HDMI port.) Or do I need a capture card like this

4 minutes ago, cpX said:

Fujifilm Webcam 2.0 for Dummys:

Thanks. I had already seen that video, and I am already doing that. Zoom is open and I am in video preferences. You can see that in the screenshot below. 

I have also:

1. Tried connecting my X-T4 to my Macbook Pro 
  2. Tried connecting both my X-T4 and X-S10 to my iMac Pro
  3. Tried using 2 other USB cables (one USB-C to USB-C Apple cable, and another USB-C to USB-A cable) to both my Macbook Pro and iMac Pro

I'm getting the same result in each case. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!