Fuji x-S10 and Fujifilm X Webcam

0301chris

On 2/18/2021 at 11:19 PM, 0301chris said:

@Joe Roxxthanks Joe, yes, saw that. First reports from users paint a grim picture (sadly predictably)...seems like the x-t30 got the same ineffective treatment that the s-10 got...seems that you cannot use the webcam app in any way to control video settings. seemingly problems with video quality. if I can get better results with my logitech webcam, what's the point? I have not updated the firmware yet, to protect me from frustration....😉

Update: ok, could not hold back any longer and updated firmware. x-t30 webcam works like what I remember from the x-t200 and s-10 - low resolution video at low fps -> video is not crisp and stuttering, totally unprofessional, unusable as a webcam! My advice - if you need a pro webcam, don't count on Fuji, see what @Joe Roxxrecommends (several posts above)

@0301chris It is unfortunate that this was not addressed by Fuji with this firmware release for the X-T30 (unsurprised but still disappointed). I'm resigned to the fact that the X-S10 may not be usable with X Webcam in future versions neither. While I will keep the X-S10 and X-T200 cameras (if it weren't for Film Simulations and, IBIS on the X-S10...), I will no longer further invest into the ecosystem. I will instead keep using the Sony a6400 as my primary camera and professional-grade webcam.

I was looking forward to purchasing more Fujinon or Viltrox lenses but now I'll go for the recently-released Tamron 17-70mm F/2.8 Di III-A VC RXD instead.

While a capture card + OBS approach is a viable workaround, that feeling of being mislead about X Webcam compatibility with the X-S10 is what I find aggravating. I almost made the switch from Sony to Fujifilm but that will not happen now. And since Sony has been able to shrink the form-factor of a full-frame camera body down to that of an APS-C (such as the Sony a7C), maybe full-frame is on the horizon.

Good luck with the search @0301chris and to everyone as well.

Edited by Joe Roxx

3 hours ago, MGboston said:

Has anyone seen the error code "Unable To Supply Power Via Device With Lightning Terminal Set To Off"?  For some reason the camera is not charging while I am using it as a webcam (via HDMI and capture card), and USB is plugged into the wall). 

If you look on page 238 in the manual, [USB. POWER SUPPLY SETTING] the options are on and off. That option allows you to charge the battery while connected to computers. There is a warning about Lightning connectors (iPhone) and similar devices not being able to supply power. So, when combined with the section "Connecting To Smart Phones" found here:

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-s10/connections/computer/

it sounds like the camera believes with all of its heart that you connected it to an iPhone. Maybe use one of those USB-C power delivery only cables.

15 hours ago, jerryy said:

If you look on page 238 in the manual, [USB. POWER SUPPLY SETTING] the options are on and off. That option allows you to charge the battery while connected to computers. There is a warning about Lightning connectors (iPhone) and similar devices not being able to supply power. So, when combined with the section "Connecting To Smart Phones" found here:

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-s10/connections/computer/

it sounds like the camera believes with all of its heart that you connected it to an iPhone. Maybe use one of those USB-C power delivery only cables.

Thanks @jerryy for the reply. After swapping cords, power bricks, in a bunch of permutations, I ended up just resetting the user settings and the charging logo came back, and yet the notice inside the menu of "Unable To Supply Power Via Device With Lightning Terminal Set To Off" remains. So now I am waiting to see if the battery drains while I am using it. 

UPDATE: I am watching battery levels drop despite being plugged in, and the plug-in symbol showing. Anyone else seeing this while using HDMI capture card and USB plugged into the wall (via power brick)? 

Edited by MGboston

1 hour ago, MGboston said:

UPDATE: I am watching battery levels drop despite being plugged in, and the plug-in symbol showing. Anyone else seeing this while using HDMI capture card and USB plugged into the wall (via power brick)? 

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-s10/first_step/battery_charge/

At the bottom of the page, this is mentioned as happening, so it sounds like that you got it back closer to ‘normal’.

26 minutes ago, jerryy said:

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-s10/first_step/battery_charge/

At the bottom of the page, this is mentioned as happening, so it sounds like that you got it back closer to ‘normal’.

The battery just ran all the way down and the camera shut off mid-webinar, despite being plugged in. Luckily I kept my old logitech camera.

So many questiions now....Did I somehow miss that this was always the case? Is this the case for direct USB-computer connections for XWebcam2? Did my camera glitch? Can I reinstall the firmware? 

Thanks @jerryy for the guidance here, even though I am very confused as to why this is just starting to happen now. 

Thanks @CatsAreGods. The thing that is confusing to me is even when the "plugged in" icon is showing why is the battery draining to the point where the camera shuts down?  I am fine if the battery can't charge (e.g. move from 2 bars to 4 bars), but I didn't think it ever ran down before. Can you confirm if your battery drains while it's plugged in? 

My working hypothesis/ conspiracy theory is that the camera's ability to pull power from the USB port is not sufficient to off-set its full draw. When I was using USB and XWebcam2, perhaps the settings downgrade the performance to work around this issue. However, now that I am using the HDMI capture card, it's demanding more power, thus losing charge. Maybe the S-X10 and the XT30 share a battery/ power supply design, then maybe it makes sense why they're the two recent models that don't have full support for XWebcam2? Which would then answer the ongoing question in this forum of "is Fuji making this decision based on hardware limitations or marketing strategy?" -- Fuji has an antiquated battery/ power management design that it probably didn't realize would hobble webcam usage. Anyway....it's a theory that might be wildly wrong. 

A couple of things ...

In the top right side of the post, you will see three dots just like this -->   ...

Once logged in, for posts that you are the author, click on the three dots icon and you can edit the post. Put the cursor just to the right of the image you want to delete and press the delete key and the image will be deleted. Also, at the bottom of the editing box will be the images uploads section with plus and trash can icons for each image. Click on the trash can icon to remove it from the uploads.

It is possible that the decision to maintain backwards compatibility with older computers outweighed the thought of only using the latest USB power supply abilities that would allow the camera to not draw the battery down. Right now, you can use the camera with older computers as long as you get the right kinds of cables, imagine how folks would feel if they were told they had to buy the very latest, new computers with USB-C PD ports in-order to use the camera with the computer.

5 hours ago, jerryy said:

In the top right side of the post, you will see three dots just like this -->   ...

Once logged in, for posts that you are the author, click on the three dots icon and you can edit the post. Put the cursor just to the right of the image you want to delete and press the delete key and the image will be deleted. Also, at the bottom of the editing box will be the images uploads section with plus and trash can icons for each image. Click on the trash can icon to remove it from the uploads.

Thanks! I had deleted the images the first way but they kept coming back. I must admit to being old enough that I didn't see or recognize the teeny tiny trashcans though.

update: I finally discovered an amazing solution to our webcam problems. Bought a Blackmagic Atem mini switcher (very reasonably priced). It has inputs for 4 cameras or devices through HDMI (and built in capture cards for each). I now run my x-t30 (sold my s-10 out of frustration) for hours as a webcam with no problems! Great quality and AF also great. I can switch between cameras in a zoom call like a pro. can add lower thirds and logos to my zoom calls. also has a fantastic chroma key engine built in. for me and for teaching and conferencing online this is a breakthrough discovery (btw I also bought an Elgato Stream Deck device to run complex macros on the Atem mini and to control all aspects of a zoom call - not necessary but great fun 🤩).

this is what my setup looks like currently (sorry for the musli bowl...)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by 0301chris
add file

I really do hope Fujifilm will come up with a way for the X-S10 to show up in the Windows 10 Device Manager (under Control Panel) as one of the 'Cameras' rather than as 'Portable devices'.  That seems to be why it doesn't show up in things like the Windows Camera app or in Powerpoint. Zoom and Skype can somehow detect it, even so it is not listed as a Camera, but many other applications do not seem to be able to detect the X-S10 as a webcam, even with the Fuji software installed.

I also bought the Fuji X-S10 in part because I wanted to use it as a camera recording lectures I do in my teaching. I mainly use the Powerpoint with the recording feature to do that. It is very disappointing that it does not work. I am now back to recording with my webcam. I'm gutted. I guess I may have to invest into one of these video cards, but it sounds quite complicated. 

I found a workaround to get it to show up as a webcam in Powerpoint. I installed Manycam and it now shows up as a webcam in Powerpoint with the Fujifilm X Webcam software installed, as well. The only issues is that Manycam comes with a watermark for the free version. I will test it and if it works well, I may purchase a license. In any case, Manycam seems to work like a link to other software that doesn't recognise the Fuji as a webcam. It now even works on the camera app in Windows.

I just actually bought the standard Manycam license and it works very well. It also works with the free version but the resolution is a bit limited and you have the watermark on it.

It is annoying that I had to purchase another piece of software and I have no affiliations with Manycam, by the way. However, I am really glad I found something that works. At least, now I can use the X-S10 as my main webcam for recordings for my teaching etc. This solution may not be perfect for everyone's needs but it's enough for me.

On 3/9/2021 at 6:18 PM, CatsAreGods said:

I think if I needed it that much I'd just get an HDMI to USB adapter and bypass the webcam software altogether.

Great minds think alike! 😸

I wanted to use a tablet as a "field monitor" for ease in watching wildlife through the lens in a photo blind I made, so I got a cheap video capture card and a cable from Amazon for $22, and it not only works for that, but now I can just plug my camera into my laptop as a proper webcam and even use Zoom with SplitCam (which is free). I used this setup with my regular webcam today to show my grandson some cool physics experiments.

If anyone's interested: Cable and Capture Card.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi forum -- I wanted to circle back to see if anyone else who has switched over to an HDMI capture card has witnessed their battery run down even while the camera is plugged in? 

I have turned off auto-shut off in order to use the HDMI connection, so if I forget to turn off the camera, or if I have a really long series of meetings, the camera will run itself down to the point where it shuts off, despite being plugged in. 

What I am trying to determine if my situation is unique and I need to send the camera in for warranty-service, or if this is standard behavior for the X-S10. 

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, MGboston said:

Hi forum -- I wanted to circle back to see if anyone else who has switched over to an HDMI capture card has witnessed their battery run down even while the camera is plugged in? 

I have turned off auto-shut off in order to use the HDMI connection, so if I forget to turn off the camera, or if I have a really long series of meetings, the camera will run itself down to the point where it shuts off, despite being plugged in. 

What I am trying to determine if my situation is unique and I need to send the camera in for warranty-service, or if this is standard behavior for the X-S10. 

Thanks in advance. 

That's totally normal. The X-S10 only charges when it's not turned on.

22 hours ago, CatsAreGods said:

That's totally normal. The X-S10 only charges when it's not turned on.

Thanks @CatsAreGods I had somehow ignored or missed this very explicit reference in the manual that answers the question. However, the answer to "why doesn't the USB power connection eliminate any battery drain?"  remains a mystery. I think this model and the switch to USB-C was not as well engineered as we'd expect from a company like Fujifilm. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!