Fuji x-S10 and Fujifilm X Webcam

0301chris

Hi all,

I have the same problem and just found this note on the official Fuji website:

"* In case your camera shows the following menu :”SET-UP”>”CONNECTION SETTNG” >”CONNECTION MODE”> “X Webcam”, the setting window of X Webcam on your computer cannot be used.
The settings for INSTANT AF, EXPOSURE COMPENSATION, FILM SIMULATION, and so on need to be set on the camera before connecting the USB cable."

https://fujifilm-x.com/en-au/support/compatibility/software/x-webcam/

So that means the X-S10 is actually compatible but the settings need to be made in the camera before connecting the USB cable.

I hope that helps.

8 hours ago, Conradee said:

my fuji x s10 work like a web camera. no any problems in skype. But I ask you, people, can I connect my x s10 with Capture one? I like to make a pictures directly from Capture One. It is possible with x s10?

unfortunately, the s10 does not support tethering. you cannot take pictures using C1. 

On 12/5/2020 at 10:19 AM, Joe Roxx said:

<snip>

• Webcam Mode
    • This is unique to the X-A7 and X-T200 cameras.
    • This does not require software to be installed on the PC. Instead, this requires a firmware upgrade on the camera to enable the USB Webcam feature.
    • This is "plug and play". No other settings can be changed.
    • The video quality is not professional-grade.

NOTE: I tried using my X-T200 as a webcam but I switched back to the a6400. On the X-T200, the video quality was not good and as well, it does not charge the battery while in use.

Apologies for maybe being slightly off-topic here (not x-S10 related), but the X-T200 has been mentioned several times in this thread, and I'm currently frustrated trying to use a brand-new Fuji X-T200 as in USB webcam mode.   It connects just fine over USB to my Windows 10 laptop, but what's frustrating is that the USB webcam mode seems to override all the Shooting Menu options (notably, forcing it into Continuous Auto-Focus) and so even if I'm not moving, it still insists on hunting for focus repeatedly --- causing the webcam image to go very noticeably OUT-of-focus before returning back in focus.

I'm curious if this matches Joe Roxx's [brief?] experience with the X-T200, or if my camera body is defective (I've tried several Fuji XF prime lenses in place of the kit XC zoom lens, and the behavior is the same, so I doubt it's the fault of the lens), or if I may have some menu setting incorrect?  My X-T200 came with firmware v1.10 pre-installed, and after encountering this problem I upgraded to the latest firmware v1.11 release, but the frequent hunting for focus problem remains.

I also tried it with an AI-to-FX adapted (hence manual focus only) Nikon prime lens, but the X-T200 then seemingly refused to identify itself to Windows as a USB Webcam at all.  (By this point last night it was rather late, so I didn't go back to the Fuji XC kit zoom or an XF prime lens to prove that the non-auto-focus-capable adapted lens was the only reason the X-T200 wouldn't connect as a USB Webcam.  I'll investigate this more today, but rather than continuing to beat my head against a wall, I thought it might be better to see how my my X-T200 webcam experience to date compares with others' on-line).   Also on my troubleshooting to-do-list is to check whether additional room lighting might help ... but hand-held as a still-camera, the X-T200 had no trouble at all auto-focusing on objects scattered around my comfortably-lit home office last night.

Any comments/suggestions would be much appreciated.

x-t200 - bought this before getting the s10. wanted to use it for professional education. erratic autofocus and Fuji disabled the ability to switch to manual focus. sad, b/c the camera was small and light, ideal as a webcam. I sold it after a week.

Unfortunately, Fuji does not have a reasonable webcam strategy. only the big and heavy cams are fully functional. currently I am using my  x-t30 with a capture card. works but there are easier ways if Fuji wanted to....

also see this thread here:https://www.diyphotography.net/the-fuji-x-t200-and-x-a7-now-work-as-regular-usb-webcams-fuji-x-webcam-software-coming-to-mac/#comment-5224206340

sorry, just saw you have already been there.....small world..😀

Edited by 0301chris
additional info

Thanks 0301chris ... yes, I've been working my way through internet search hits for X-T200 webcam user experience.

After reinstalling the kit XC zoom lens on my X-T200, turning the camera back on and reconnecting to my laptop, the USB webcam was not recognized either.   Shutting down and rebooting the laptop fixed this, and then I tried again to powering down the camera, changing to the adapted Nikon lens (manual focus only), and found the X-T200 *will* work in that mode with only manual focus (hence no hunting-for-autofocus problem, regardless of light level).  Could have been a Win10 laptop problem not recognizing the X-T200 USB Webcam last night.

Secondly, I also discovered that with additional light in the room, the X-T200 actually does do a much better job of maintaining focus with the kit XC zoom lens, and when I do change position (changing my distance from the camera), it will refocus with an AF lens, but the image doesn't go noticeably more out-of-focus in the process.    So the initial problems I encountered last night were apparently related to its difficulty focusing in a comfortably-lit room at night (without benefit of any light coming through the windows, as it was dark outside).

In the near future I'll experiment some evening to see how much additional indoor light it will take to eliminate the troublesome hunting for focus in my home office environment.   But another solution is to use a non-autofocus-capable 3rd-party adapter to mount a non-Fuji-X lens onto the X-T200, and use that via manual focus -- the X-T200 USB webcam defaults to aperture-priority mode in that case, which is ideal given an aperture-ring on the lens and the exposure-compensation control on the X-T200.

I'll post a summary update in the Disqus comments over on the DIY-photography blog also.

Thanks again.

many thanks for the insights jkmccarthy! one thing I tried was using my 16mm f1.4 lens with an open aperture to let more light in. off course, the shallow depth of field drove the AF crazy. your approach seems better! good luck with all. 

anyone made progress with using the s10 as webcam?

@jkmccarthy @0301chris

X-T200 - Since there isn't any controls to the camera settings in Webcam mode, I do not use the X-T200 as a webcam. I have continued to use my Sony a6400 for this purpose instead. I do think you're on the right track - if there's nothing that can be done via software or in-camera in Webcam mode, then the next best thing is to change the shooting conditions in your environment - in this case making lighting adjustments.

The XC15-45 lens does have some surprises. With better lighting, it does seem to "focus hunt" less. In some cases, even better than the XF18-55. Also, the XC15-45 "remembers" the last focal range you used. So if I set it to 30mm and turn it off and the lens retracts, when I turn it back on, it zooms back to 30mm. I do not recall any other zoom lens that does this. At least not the ones I've used.

If you're using Zoom, there's a video setting in the Zoom client that will allow you to adjust for poor lighting conditions. This may help to brighten your appearance in the video conference to some degree.

X-S10 - Still no luck with the X-S10 as a webcam even with the most recent firmware upgrade. The only "progress" is from the post by @davidkrol. I think that footnote is recent as I don't recall seeing that previously. It does help make the X-S10 somewhat usable as a webcam but that defeats the purpose of the X Webcam. In a way, it puts in in a similar boat as the X-T200. 

Clearly, the advantage here is on the Sony a series + Imaging Edge.

I've still kept the Fuji cameras. But recently, Tamron has released the 17-70mm lens with VC (their version of OIS) and it appears that the stabilization is amazing. I may consider parting with some Fuji gear.

@0301chris For a mirrorless webcam - did you look into the Sony option further?

Good luck to all.

@Joe Roxxyes, thanks to your encouragement I have broadened my search process...Sony option does look really good. After the embarrassment of executing ill-researched purchasing decisions (x-t30, x-t200, s10) I am taking my time now to clarify my actual needs as opposed to my tech-obsessed "wants"....will def share any news and experiences.

• 3 weeks later...

Fuji just repeated their stupid MARKETING STRATEGIES, some good old japanese company style of doing things.

It is a function that deliberately restricted out of non necessarity.

And it is STUPID. 

FIX IT FUJI OR PEOPLE's LEAVING

Edited by JayZ

That footnote is indeed recent. Wayback archive indexed the page on the 1st of December and it wasn't there: https://web.archive.org/web/20201201093941/https://fujifilm-x.com/en-au/support/compatibility/software/x-webcam/

The hardware of the XS-10 is brilliant... the software is beyond awful.

If this feature is working as intended then I despair. Between the camera controls not responding when connected in x-webcam mode and the x-webcam controls not working the only way to change settings is to unplug the camera, make adjustments and reconnect. I had Fuji down as caring about the user experience but if that's what they consider acceptable then I have to question their competence.

PS. Still not working with the freshly release x-webcam 2.1 w/ firmware 1.02.

Edited by mikesi

It's sad that Fuji hasn't made this work. Even sadder they probably did it on purpose.

After trying the Webcam software unsuccesfully on the X-S10, I resorted to getting a USB HDMI capture card. It wouldn't even show an image while the X100V worked on the same configuration!

Honestly the card is IMHO a much better solution quality-wise as it can easily capture 1080p at 60 fps (which is more than enough for webcamming and as 4k is not possible with a cheap card), but you can also record videos or livestram with real time effects thanks to a free software like OBS wich recognizes the card + camera with no trouble. You can even output f-log and have a real-ime LUT in OBS, then use OBS to broadcast to Skype/Zoom/Whatever.

It's an additional piece of equipement for sure but you can get a good one for a reasonable amount of money (in the 30-50$) and it works on mac and pc, while still being easily transported. Plus, you get 10 bits (not sure you get 10 bit when using the webcam fuji software but it would be surprising).

The capture "card" (more like a dongle) typically does not require any installation and shows up as a USB device on PC that you can choose in any video conferencing software you use normally. The caveat is that you probably need a USB 3 connection to get 60fps.

Other advantage is that you have full control of the camera while the HDMI output is active.

In my case the Fujifilm X-S10 works with X-Webcam Software as far as that i can see the Video in Zoom, Skype, Discord and with the newest release even in OBS, when the software is running and  i connect the cable to the camera. The controls in X-Webcam are not usable, so i have to set everything up before i connect the USB cable to the camera. Another problem is that the Framerate seems to be very low, which gets significantly better when you turn off the autofocus completely and focus manually, but still not smooth 24-30 fps. Anybody having the same framerate issues?

While all of us XS-10 owners await X-webcam2 support (fingers crossed); I wanted to see how others are configuring the settings on the camera before connecting with the computer for Zoom purposes. 

So far I have enabled: 

• Focus Mode = Continuous Auto Focus (AF-C)
  • AF Mode = "AREA" 
  • AF-C Custom Setting = Tracking Sensitivity +4; AF Speed +3
  • Face/Eye Detection setting = On/ Eye Auto

And yet, the lamp behind me randomly steals the focus...and all my tweaks with Tracking Sensitivity and AF Speed seem to make it worse. 

What have others done?

On 2/5/2021 at 8:10 PM, flamidey said:

After trying the Webcam software unsuccesfully on the X-S10, I resorted to getting a USB HDMI capture card. It wouldn't even show an image while the X100V worked on the same configuration!

So the capture card worked?  If yes, which card did you select? If not, what did you resort to? 

On 2/8/2021 at 2:13 PM, MGboston said:

While all of us XS-10 owners await X-webcam2 support (fingers crossed); I wanted to see how others are configuring the settings on the camera before connecting with the computer for Zoom purposes. 

So far I have enabled: 

• Focus Mode = Continuous Auto Focus (AF-C)
  • AF Mode = "AREA" 
  • AF-C Custom Setting = Tracking Sensitivity +4; AF Speed +3
  • Face/Eye Detection setting = On/ Eye Auto

And yet, the lamp behind me randomly steals the focus...and all my tweaks with Tracking Sensitivity and AF Speed seem to make it worse. 

What have others done?

This video post shows what can be done to limit focus hunting. The gentleman in the video used the X-S10's autofocus range limiter. Maybe it will work in X Webcam mode...

On 2/6/2021 at 3:11 AM, Scal310 said:

In my case the Fujifilm X-S10 works with X-Webcam Software as far as that i can see the Video in Zoom, Skype, Discord and with the newest release even in OBS, when the software is running and  i connect the cable to the camera. The controls in X-Webcam are not usable, so i have to set everything up before i connect the USB cable to the camera. Another problem is that the Framerate seems to be very low, which gets significantly better when you turn off the autofocus completely and focus manually, but still not smooth 24-30 fps. Anybody having the same framerate issues?

Using a capture card and OBS - those were the days. Along with the the Sony a6400, that was my set up in order to use my camera for videoconferencing back in early 2020. It was cumbersome but at least I can change the framerate in-camera or via Imaging Edge Desktop, I was so glad when Sony released native webcam support for the a6400 and I can stop using OBS and a capture card. Simply install Image Edge Webcam and it's plug-and-play.

I was expecting the Fujifilm X-S10 to offer similar capabilities but that was not the case.

Pre-setting the X-S10 before connecting to Zoom/Teams/Webex - this pretty much defeats the purpose of the X Webcam software. And as it stands, the video quality is worse than a high-resolution webcam. 

Version 2.1 of X Webcam still does not fully support the X-S10. Quite disappointing...

I used a MyPIN capture card. Not sure if it will work with the X-S10 but it did with the a6400.

Edited by Joe Roxx

@JoeRoxx -- thanks for the link to the YouTube. Unfortunately, that setting is mysteriously grayed out for me, so I am trying to sort that out. 

Also, re: Capture cards --> is there evidence that even if X-WebCam2 controls support does come soon for the X-S10 via a future firmware update, that we'll get full video quality via USB-C? For example, does the the X-T4 get full quality (4K30fps) via USB C and X-webcam-2? 

If not, I am leaning towards the Elgato CamLink, even though I am very frustrated by having to spend an additional $120+ to get what we were effectively promised. 

On 2/9/2021 at 5:59 AM, MGboston said:

So the capture card worked?  If yes, which card did you select? If not, what did you resort to? 

I use this one:

Amazon.com: UGREEN USB C Hub 4 Ports USB Type C to USB 3.0 Hub Adapter with Micro USB for MacBook Pro, iMac, Samsung Galaxy Note 10 S10 S9, LG, Google Chromebook Pixelbook, Dell XPS, Oculus Rift S: Computers & Accessories

Audio isn't its forte and I'd advise using an alternate audio capture source but video is perfect in 1080p 60 fps.

10 hours ago, MGboston said:

@JoeRoxx -- thanks for the link to the YouTube. Unfortunately, that setting is mysteriously grayed out for me, so I am trying to sort that out. 

Also, re: Capture cards --> is there evidence that even if X-WebCam2 controls support does come soon for the X-S10 via a future firmware update, that we'll get full video quality via USB-C? For example, does the the X-T4 get full quality (4K30fps) via USB C and X-webcam-2? 

If not, I am leaning towards the Elgato CamLink, even though I am very frustrated by having to spend an additional $120+ to get what we were effectively promised. 

I think Face and Eye Detection will need to be disabled for the autofocus range limiter to be available.

13 hours ago, flamidey said:

for what it's worth, I am very pleased with this capture card: https://www.avermedia.com/us/product-detail/BU110

btw, in a few weeks, supposedly the x-t30 gets webcam functionality, including the ability to use Fuji film simulations. Hopefully, this strategic change by Fuji means they will also rethink s-10 functionality. fingers crossed

Edited by 0301chris

Thanks to @Joe Roxx, @0301chris, and @flamidey for the guidance on capture cards. And fingers crossed that the X-S10 gets full Xwebcam2 support, but given that we don't know when or if that will happen and what the resulting quality will be...I decided to experiment on the cheap ($26 total) with: 

So far so good. It's the same level of control (everything set up on the camera), but with a much better image (full frame rate). Wishing I had pulled the trigger on this from day one.

@Joe Roxxthanks Joe, yes, saw that. First reports from users paint a grim picture (sadly predictably)...seems like the x-t30 got the same ineffective treatment that the s-10 got...seems that you cannot use the webcam app in any way to control video settings. seemingly problems with video quality. if I can get better results with my logitech webcam, what's the point? I have not updated the firmware yet, to protect me from frustration....😉

Update: ok, could not hold back any longer and updated firmware. x-t30 webcam works like what I remember from the x-t200 and s-10 - low resolution video at low fps -> video is not crisp and stuttering, totally unprofessional, unusable as a webcam! My advice - if you need a pro webcam, don't count on Fuji, see what @Joe Roxxrecommends (several posts above)

Edited by 0301chris