New Fuji User X-S10

DaveC

I am a new forum member and about to pick up a new Fuji X-S10 camera having been a non-fuji user previously (Canon eos M5, Nikon D7000 etc.).
I am used to working with RAW images which meant exposing to the right (histogram) in camera and then getting exposure correct in post processing.
Obviously this continues in the Fuji world with RAW images (although only the Silkypix software supports the X-S10 at the moment) but I am interested in the techniques used when working with Fuji jpeg images.
Could anyone explain their jpeg process for me. Should I still expose to the right or should I get it right on the spot, so to speak.

I would appreciate any advice on this, thankyou.

I am currently using Lightroom to process raw files from the X-S10.

I'm not sure Fuji jpegs are dramatically different from other jpegs - you obviously have less scope for changes compared to raw files and its more important to get things right the first time.

You could look at the Dynamic Range and D Range Priority settings in the IQ menu to help avoid blowing our highlights in jpegs.

Thanks Greybeard, I have been reading the user manual (pdf) and looked those up, I will definitely be experimenting with those settings.

I have found On1 can work with the X-S10 so have downloaded a trial which I have to say I am quite impressed by. Very different to ACDSee Ultimate that I currently use.

I suspect that On1 will be my next purchase. Start the new year with a bang 🙂

Regardless of the system used exposing to the right (ETTR) is (usually) always a good idea.  I see you mention JPEG's. I'm wondering you may be thinking that it would wise to push the exposure to the right?  If you are shooting JPEG then in my opinion you "could" but I personally would not push it to the right as far as I may pus a raw file.  If you are going to use jpegs out of the camera you need to nail it when you shoot so you may not have as much leeway as when shooting raw, or as I do, Jpeg fine + Raw together.

I have found the Silkypix, the Fuji Raw processor, CaptureOne all do a phenomenal job handling the Fuji raw files.  Lightroom does as well except sometimes I do get some strange "worms" and artifacts in the images when processing my X files; not so much on my GFX medium format files ( as it has a regular Bayer sensor, not an X-trans sensor)

Anyway welcome to the group and please feel free to ask whatever questions you have.  FYI: CaptureOne has free C1Pro Fuji Express you can download.  It may not have all the features of the paid version, but it will surely give you an excellent idea of its capabilities.  You can also download CaptureOne Pro (the full version) free for 30-days as well.

Thanks for your reply jlmphotos, I have just had a morning session with the X-S10 in the grounds of a local castle and have been able to take some serious images (instead of the quick shots around the garden on my first day with the camera). I was set up for fine jpeg and RAW as you suggest and I have to say I was impressed with the jpegs. 

I agree that ETTR is not good for jpegs, I found the cameras exposure perfectly sound allowing for a little negative exposure compensation occasionally. 

I found On1 was the only software other than Silkypix that could read the X-S10 RAW files so I got a copy of that and it works beautifully with the raf files. So all in all I have had a great start to the Fuji world.

Thanks again for your reply, Dave.

Thankyou for your reply, I emailed Capture One just two weeks ago asking when they would support the XS10 and they said they did not give out that information. Hence they lost a sale. I must admit I was rather surprised at their response, more so as you say the XS10 is now supported.

Thanks again, Dave.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have downloaded the free fuji Capture One Express and am using it to compare the processing of my images in both Capture One and On1. so far I have not come to a conclusion either way.

One thing I like about On1 is that it creates a virtual copy of jpegs just like the virtual copies of RAW files (attaches a sidecar file) so you can edit and re-edit to your hearts desire until you finally export the virtual copy as a jpeg or tif. 

Dave.

• 4 months later...