FujiFilm X-S10

Stevie3204

Just got the new X-S10. I don't think you have a forum for the X-s10 yet. Hopefully this is the right place to post.

I'm confused about how autofocus works. I'm sure it is similar on all X models. Before I bought, I watched tons of videos on youtube about the X-S10 and when they tested the autofocus, they would walk away or towards the camera so you could see the focus adjust.

Now that I got the camera, I'm baffled.

(1) AutoFocus doesn't seem to happen automatically but you have to press the shutter button down halfway for it to focus. So I'm confused how the videos on youtube showed  someone walking away or twoards the camera and it adjusted the focus automatically without pressing the shutter button halfway. How did they do this?

(2) If you have to press the shutter button half way to focus, then how does one do a selfie?

Hopefully someone can enlighten me on number (1) and (2) above.

Thanks

Edited by Stevie3204

I think you might be confusing video with stills - apologies if not. On any Fuji camera, you've got 3 focussing modes, S, C and M - Single, Continuous and Manual (somewhere in your menu options - I think on other cameras there's a dedicated switch on the front, but not the S10).  If you have your focus set to Continous, it will track whatever it thinks is the main subject - if you're in video mode, camera starts focussing as soon as it's on.  For stills, you have to half press.   PRE-AF option is there but bear in mind you will use up your battery faster if you have the camera focussing continuously. 

Re your selfie issue, you could set your camera to a 2 or 10 second timer, press the shutter, go and stand in front of it, and do it that way, if it is in continuous focus mode it will track you.  I think you can also switch on Eye autofocus, where it will track your eyes to get the best shot - again, uses up battery.   

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 6:31 PM, Stevie3204 said:

Just got the new X-S10. I don't think you have a forum for the X-s10 yet. Hopefully this is the right place to post.

I'm confused about how autofocus works. I'm sure it is similar on all X models. Before I bought, I watched tons of videos on youtube about the X-S10 and when they tested the autofocus, they would walk away or towards the camera so you could see the focus adjust.

(1) AutoFocus doesn't seem to happen automatically but you have to press the shutter button down halfway for it to focus. So I'm confused how the videos on youtube showed  someone walking away or twoards the camera and it adjusted the focus automatically without pressing the shutter button halfway. How did they do this?

(2) If you have to press the shutter button half way to focus, then how does one do a selfie?

Thanks

Stevie, from your post you may not have as much background in the physics or electronics behind modern photography as some others, here.

Autofocus may be (motion) comtrast-detect or phase-detect. Contrast, or motion-contrast, autofocus examines the highest spacial (contrast) frequency while phase-detect autofocus examines spacial contrast between two light rays at similar angles. (I am simplifying, somewhat.)

A processor then computes and tracks a pattern across a large sensor area designating it an "object." The processor may look for "eyes" and assign a "face" to an image. 

Selfie...

This is a completely made-up term for a portrait with random garbage in the background. A selfie is a portrait. Treat it like one. Get a remote shutter button.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:31 AM, Stevie3204 said:

Thanks

Switch the autofocus to "continuous" , also switch the focus mode to "wide , tracking"

Then if you want to it to track people enable "eye autofocus" (it's in face detection settings under the AF MF settings menu)

Also enable "boost" in Power management settings

.the auto focus can be further tuned to your needs , so if you need to tune it ,then tag me , I'll explain how to do it .i hope this helps , have a nice day ahead !