XF 18mm f/2

Phil

I wanted to start a thread for this awesome little lens. I bought it over the 14mm because it was about half the price at the time (due to a sale), and I thought the slightly tighter field of view and extra stop would be better for me, because I mostly shoot people.

There's definitely a decent amount of distortion in the RAW files, but the in-camera JPGs really aren't bad, so it can still be good for landscapes and the like. It's great for people - sharp and fairly quick to focus, and it's so tiny. I ignored it for a while after I got my 23 1.4, but when I put it back on my camera I realized how much I liked it. Before, I just saw it as my wide angle for when I needed a wide, but now I choose it for its character.

16252014713_9821066e06_c.jpgDawn by philbabbey, on Flickr

17159883465_2cbb959fe8_c.jpgBluewater Bridge by philbabbey, on Flickr

17306366339_778e110992_c.jpgDSCF0447 by philbabbey, on Flickr

16870037534_f961a4929f_c.jpgDSCF0189 by philbabbey, on Flickr

Hi Phil, I just got this lens last week.  Well, I bought it, but I'm still waiting for someone to bring it to me.  I live in Brazil and sent it to a friend's house in Florida.  I could not resist the 270 dollars price it was selling for at the digitalrev web store.  Anyway.  I was aiming to buy the 14mm but ended up deciding upon buying the 18mm (which upon analysing my past shots is one focal lenght I use a lot) and another lens.  Both would be the same price as only the 14mm.

Great images you have there.  I can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting people, street and so on.

Now I have to decide if I'll get the Samyang 12mm or the 8mm fisheye to have something wider.

Thanks for the post! I've requested to follow you on instagram, but, if you have mostly family photos which you would not like to share..no worries.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Looking more like the next Fuji camera we see will be an X-T50 but it is still a rumor and no specs have been published.
    • Hey guys, The shutter on/off button switch may be loose on mine. After turning camera on and pressing the shutter/holding close to the area, the camera will turn off and say 'sensor cleaning'. This doesn't happen if I'm shooting via touch screen at all. Everything else is functional. Anyone else experience this before? Would love a much cheaper fix since Fuji Canada just quoted me $700 CAD to fix it, and considering everything else is functional except that part I'm not even sure why MPMB Main Board parts is being replaced😕 I got no explanation from them either.
    • As far as I know the firmware is not country specific. Are you sure that the filename has not been changed ( I am told this can happen with mac os). That's the only thing I can think of.
    • My x-t5 does not exhibit the focusing switch behaviour as you report it, so that is very strange and indicative of a fault. It does not matter whether the flash is attached or not. Once you set the camera for your studio flash, say 1/250th at f5.6, the camera, which is showing you what you will get at that exposure without the flash, will show a black screen unless the ambient light is brighter than what you would typically get indoors. That is why, as Jerry says, you have to set preview exp/wb to off. I have set a button for this.
    • I connected to FRAME.IO a while back and it works fine, but the camera wouldn't connect to the internet all of a sudden today and would get stuck on the reset screen, including initializing and even switching USB Connection mode. Is anyone else experiencing the same thing?