Is Fuji aware their camera remote app is broken?

Camera Hustler

I cannot get my new xt4 to connect to Fuji app for image transfer. I’ve used the app for many yrs with many different models. I’ve tried removing and reinstalling app. Deleted pairings. Re-paired. The app sees the camera and is added to camera list. I can even use the remote release function on the app. BUT I CANNOT get the app to connect to camera and display images for transfer. The app tries to connect but just spins.

I’m using iPad 7th gen with iOS 14.2. Fuji xt4 with firmware 1.10.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Camera Hustler
Misspelling

I have never seen an app with worse reviews on the Apple app store.  So I guess Fuji know.

The app has never worked for me for more than a few seconds on my iPhone.  And that after maybe 15 attempts at connecting.

BUT I recently installed it on my iPad it it works fine!

I have found that the app spins during connection if I have card slot settings on raw/jpeg. If I set card slots to sequential, the app sees jpegs in card slot 1 and will connect.

So it seems the app stalls if it doesn’t see jpg files in card slot 1.

Would be cool if Fuji open sourced the app if they have limited funds to maintain it.

Edited by Camera Hustler

I recently left this review on the Apple app.  It’s terrible. I can’t believe after years of owning their amazing cameras that this is the best the can do with their app.  I am tech savvy kind of and I can’t get it to work any more.  Always been a slow and terrible app. 

my review

For the love of god.  Please employ a new app designer.  This has been a distaste for years this app.  Please give a new app. 

Still under iOS 14 not working.  Epic fail.  

SORRY FUJI.  it still does not work.  

Fuji.  This is a disaster still.  I have been waiting months now for a fix.  I just upgraded to the latest app.  Latest firmware on my XT3.  Deleted app.  Reinstalled.  Reconnected etc etc.  ensure all app and camera settings are correct according to Fuji advise.  And still it does not connect.  This app is dead.  I spent a massive amount on a camera with a working app.  Now I have lost the needed app. 

Fuji.  Are you reading these reviews.  How about replying to us.  How about adding  a comment saying you realise this app is broken and you are fixing it!?  How about anything?   You get it doesn’t work don’t you?   You get that this is one of your selling points for camera sales and now we don’t have a working app!?  

This has always been a terrible app but now it’s just a disaster of an app.  No longer connects to my X-T3.    At least before iOS updates it connected and worked - although badly.  It worked!   Now it simply won’t connect no matter how many times I restart and reinstall etc etc.  I believe it’s an iOS problem rather than the camera firmware - or maybe a combination.  If I could give it zero stars I would.  Seriously Fuji.  You sell awesome cameras but are let down by this app.

Hi All:

I'll add my complaint to the hopper.  Does Fuji know?  Of course Fuji knows.  They just do not care.  No longer works with iOS 14.2 and and X-T3.

My biggest complaint is that (when it worked) when you wanted to start/stop record video it forced the camera to record only 1080P to the SD card regardless of the camera setting.  Not sure why this is a restriction when the camera can do DCI.   Seems like a stupid decision to me.  I called Fuji support in the USA and all they could offer was that was how the application was designed.

Like I said.  Fuji knows.  But they just do not care!

Don Barar

Edited by Don Barar

Since upgrading to IOS 14.2 I've had issues using the stupid app.  Sometimes it connects, and sometimes it doesn't.  I'll keep plugging at it as sooner or later they'll fix it.  And, I am wondering if Nikon, Sony, Canon, etc have a similar app.  If they do, and they work, then shame on Fuji.  If they do not, then in my eyes, Fuji has a leg up on other manufacturers -- doesn't justify the problems we are experiencing but keep in mind this app is a "backburner - when we get time to get to it" kind of app.  To me, it's more of a gimmick than an actual tool.

• 3 weeks later...

I read how to fix it:

delete app from phone.

delete pairing from camera

Shut camera off.  Restart phone.

Download the app again and install

go through the pairing again.

I've done this for my X cameras and my GFX and it seems to be working well enough.  It was pretty bad after the latest Apple updates.

Hope this helps.

I've been able to get the app working again by deleting everything and starting over. First, I turned off bluetooth on my xt4. Then, deleted all my camera's listed in app. Lastly, I deleted app and re-downloaded it.

To connect:

1) I turn on camera wifi
2) change ipad wifi to camera
3) open app
4) click "Import images selected on app."

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2020 at 6:02 PM, jlmphotos said:

I read how to fix it:

delete app from phone.

delete pairing from camera

Shut camera off.  Restart phone.

Download the app again and install

go through the pairing again.

I've done this for my X cameras and my GFX and it seems to be working well enough.  It was pretty bad after the latest Apple updates.

Hope this helps.

This helped big time. I spent at least an hour trying to get things to work before following your suggestion to delete the app completely, restart and re-pair. THANK YOU.

On 12/13/2020 at 9:13 AM, White-collar said:

Do people complain about the android version? That's all I've used and it works fine.

It is a mixed bag. X-T30 works fine on my Android  9 phone, via Bluetooth. File transfer, live view etc.

But connecting older camera via WiFi does not work. The problem is that older camera was paired to my old (now dead) phone, and can't remove/clear pairing from that camera. Tried all options, re-installation, etc., but nothing works. Fujifilm has some instructions, but not working in my case, as the camera get frozen as soon it finds the WiFi signal.

http://digitalcamera-english.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19377/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNjEwNDIzNjYyL2dlbi8xNjEwNDIzNjYyL3NpZC9mVWpPYmcxTE5icHJ6cG01VEtCTWROUkppaFhuTnRhTzB1NGd6dVRueGMlN0VGQWFRRmpvVXNZVXA2UlRETGVBbTczaWUzeWtkMUMlN0U2eEs2VFpiTl9EUUVpVGxkdmdqNGZCSlF2TklIM2FHWjRzMmN1eEFvQnhBVW9BJTIxJTIx

• 5 weeks later...

Deleting the app, pairing, etc was only a temporary fix for me. It did fix the problem at first but then it started not connecting again.

What seemed to really help was going into the iPhone's WiFi settings, clicking on the FUJI-XT-XXX camera network, then turn off "Private Address." That feature generates a random MAC Address for your phone every time you connect to the network, and my guess is that the Fuji app/WiFi connection is dependent on the MAC address staying the same. Once I turned that feature off my connection has been very reliable. I believe this private address feature was introduced in iOS 14, and it seems that everyone having trouble with the app is on 14.

Edited by Mike A

• 3 weeks later...

@Mike AVery interesting post! Indeed the app works fine on my old iPhone 6 / iOS 12.5. On my new iPhone SE /iOS 14.4, I'm having the same problems: App is sort of freezing seconds after connection is established.

But how did you manage to change the "private address"-feature without having to reconnect (which switches to the default setting private address "on")?

cheers

Georg

• 2 months later...

I cannot take more than 1 picture each time I connect to the Android App

It takes one picture than the LED on the camera blinks red and greeen forever, the app don't allow me to do anything, I just get an 'processing' pop up message until the app freezes.

Any solution to this? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

On Android: You need to grant Bluetooth and location access until than, you will never connect and see image on you phone screen. With Bluetooth only: you can activate remote trigger, change iso, apperature etc but you can not see image until you connect to wifi.

Many people don`t grant access to location service and Fuji application can NOT connect alone to camera Hot Spot. You can connect manual but it`s waste of time if application can.

On some phones you need to grant 2x access when application connecting to camera, if you don`t look in phone in that time timer is gone and you need to start again.

Usual is not Fuji`s problem. Android is made that way and sometimes user don`t read what is on screen.

I'm pretty pissed off at Fuji for this. It used to kind of work with my x100v and iphone, but I recently upgraded the firmware of the camera to 2.0 (not sure if that caused it) and I can not get it to work anymore.

I've spent the last 2 hours reinstalling, restarting, re-pairing, etc and the app is clearly very buggy. I can not get live view to work anymore and that was an important feature to me.

It honestly makes we want to sell my camera and never use Fuji again. I'm pretty allergic to this kind of crap. They should invest in some OS native apps with basic but robust functionality. For a camera of this price to not be able to remotely control the shutter in 2021 is just not acceptable to me.

And it's not like I'm missing something obvious. I'm a developer and I can see in all sorts of ways that this app is not OK. Fuji pleeeeaaase sort your shit out!

Edited by 0x80

• 3 months later...

I'm utterly fed up with the app issues.  I sold a whole load of Sony gear to switch to FujiFilm and I love the cameras, lenses and - most importantly - images that I make.

But the app is awful.  Truly awful.  Crashes, hangs, wastes my time and causes me to reboot my phone daily.

The Sony app is fine.  The Canon app (I also have a Canon camera) is great.  FujiFilm need to sort this out, rewrite it from scratch, and make it reliable.

It's 2021 not 2015.  This sort of app unreliability simply should not be a problem.  Rant over!!!