Windows Photo Viewer stopped after Version 4 update

Steve D

Hi there X people

On 28th October i updated my XT3 to the version 4 Firmware.  All was good..... but then i noticed that i couldnt see raw .RAF image thumbnails on my PC once i had transferred the images.  All other folders of images taken before 28th have the image thumbnail and I can view each image using Windows Photo Viewer without trouble.  However all images taken using after the 28th October using version 4 Firmware do not have a thumbnail image and can not be viewed using Windows Photo Viewer.  I have checked all updates are correct for Photo Viewer.  Im now stumped as to what to do next.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any chat on this... appreciated

20 hours ago, syborg said:

Just install 'Raw Image Extension' from Microsoft Store, it works well.

Hi Syborg

Thanks for that.  I downloaded the extension.  Partial success.  The extension has no effect on Windows Photo Viewer.  WPV begins opening the file but then crashes with error report.  Ive now selected 'Photos' to be the default .raf image viewer.  All fuji firmware version 3 folders all populate quickly and open the image.  All fujifilm version 4 folders are struggling to populate thumnail images, very randomly as if it will take weeks to populate thumbnails in all folders.  Very strange.  The ones it has populated when opened quickly change their appearance from settings taken to whatever the Photos app thinks it should look like.  lol.  Its certainly something to do with the version 4 firmware.  Such a shame as i was so very happy with my work flow previously inspecting images in Windows Photo Viewer before opening them in Capture One if i wanted to edit.

My workaround may be to start taking all photos in RAW and JPEG.  Seems to make sense in light of this mysterious problem.

Thanks for the help

Regards... Steve

My recommendation was only regarding the thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer.

I've never used Windows Photo Viewer, but if it fails to render RAF files, then again, I would recommend to try Honeyview (it's free).

Upd:

I just installed 'Microsoft Photos' app from the store (https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRFJBH4), and it works correctly with my X-T3 v4 files (Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19041).

Edited by syborg

2 hours ago, syborg said:

My recommendation was only regarding the thumbnails previews in Windows Explorer.

I've never used Windows Photo Viewer, but if it fails to render RAF files, then again, I would recommend to try Honeyview (it's free).

Upd:

I just installed 'Microsoft Photos' app from the store (https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9WZDNCRFJBH4), and it works correctly with my X-T3 v4 files (Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19041).

Hi Syborg

Thanks for the help and support with this issue.  I have made progress.

I checked your link for Microsoft Photos and as thought it told me that i already had that installed.

I searched for Honeyview and downloaded it.  I was able to view my images with Honeyview but still no Thumbnails were being generated in the file explorer pages ... just generic icons of Honeyview logo. 

I searched some more and found a relevant post on DP Review website where someone had same issue.  The writer recommended to download Silkypix Raw converter to make sure all required Fuji Codecs were available on the machine.  I did that..... and voila.  After a restart the Honeyview icons began changing to proper Thumbnails and all populated quickly with 100% success.  What a relief.

Thanks so much for the help especially for recommendation of Honeyview.  It has a nice sharp preview image and im able to run slideshow on it to quickly pan through a full set of images.  I appreciate your time helping..... Thanks

Kindest Regards.......... Steve