Does White balance affect RAW.

Rudy

Correct. WB only affects the jpeg, but the setting is also stored in the metadata of the raw file. Software like Lightroom and Capture One use this setting as a starting point for their raw conversion (WB as shot). The WB is also used for the small thumbnail that is inside of every raw file for display purposes.

If I understand your reply correctly, white balance does not change the raw file.  However the information is there for applications that want to make use of it.  As I stated in my response to your earlier reply, I'm just going to use the auto white balance setting.  

Thanks

On 11/15/2020 at 10:47 PM, Herco said:

Correct. WB only affects the jpeg, but the setting is also stored in the metadata of the raw file. Software like Lightroom and Capture One use this setting as a starting point for their raw conversion (WB as shot). The WB is also used for the small thumbnail that is inside of every raw file for display purposes.

Is that exactly correct? The image settings are indeed used for the JPEG conversation, also for the embedded one. But as far as Lightroom goes they seem not to be used by the Lightroom presets. Or are they? And how? What can be used, for sure, is the lens correction stored in the meta data.

2 hours ago, Paul Schmidt said:

Is that exactly correct? The image settings are indeed used for the JPEG conversation, also for the embedded one. But as far as Lightroom goes they seem not to be used by the Lightroom presets. Or are they? And how? What can be used, for sure, is the lens correction stored in the meta data.

Unless the WB is ‘overwritten’ by a WB set in the preset in LR, LR can use the stored WB in the RAW-conversion. It will be applied to the displayed image when importing, unless replaced by a WB set in a LR preset. To my knowledge LR behaves similar to Capture One in that aspect. To use the WB set by the camera, select WB As Shot in the import profile.

19 hours ago, Herco said:

Unless the WB is ‘overwritten’ by a WB set in the preset in LR, LR can use the stored WB in the RAW-conversion. It will be applied to the displayed image when importing, unless replaced by a WB set in a LR preset. To my knowledge LR behaves similar to Capture One in that aspect. To use the WB set by the camera, select WB As Shot in the import profile.

I have got to do experiments on that. It would also be nice to get the film simulations in Lightroom. They have their own, but the Fuji ones are great.

On 11/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, Paul Schmidt said:

I have got to do experiments on that. It would also be nice to get the film simulations in Lightroom. They have their own, but the Fuji ones are great.

The film simulations (Main ones you get in camera) are in Lightroom.