Sir Grey

Leica Monochom envy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I can't help but feel envious when I hear such praise about Leica being so "innovative" and "daring". Leica releases a camera with no screen and it's marvel for those that want one less distraction while photographing.

Fuji does a similar move with the X-pro 3 and it's divisive, even though you still get a screen if you don't want one.

That leads me to my main point that I still want Fuji to release a monochrome camera.

Sure, could I save up and buy Leica? Sure, but I think the Fuji system offers more to me than just price. I think they always have more value than leica in terms of features, and I think Fuji is more humble as a brand, where they don't flaunt their brand as a luxury class item. 

Anyway, I hope to see a monochrome sensor Fuji camera in the future. 

maxmax.com converts many Fujifilm cameras to monochrome. It's quite expensive, but probably not more than when Fujifilm would launch a monochrome themselves. Previously, Fujifilm managers stated that a monochrome is not to be expected any time.

As a former Leica owner (those film days) every time I pick up a Leica I'm tempted again. The Q2 monochrome will probably not be an exception. It's not made for people looking for features or value-for-money (though it holds fantastic value in the second-hand market) and in that respect its hard to compare with other brands. It's just like cars: you don't need a BMW to be happy, but it sure helps 😉 (for those who like cars)

Edited by Herco

One of my VERY best friends is a Leica Guy.  I know people say these Leica guys are stuck up, and hung up on gear but not my good friend.  He's a photographer.  Has taken, dropped, had repaired, shot, got wet, etc EVERY one of his six Leica bodies - including the Monochrome.  The Leica store in NYC LOVE him.  He walked in last year for a Leica branded polarizer, and walked with their only cop of of a think a 90mm lens that had just come out.  It was five figures deep that one~.  He also has several 80 megapixel + higher Hassy medium formats with some serious glass.   Last Christmas he bought for each of his three sons a new Leica body and a 50mm Summicron (?) lens!  Like I said - BIG BUCKS.  He just. bought the 60 megapixel S2 MF Leica as well a few months ago - And guess what? He actually ENVIES my fuji 50r and my APC cameras!  He truly loves them but I think he's afraid of switching at this point.  

Long story short, I do believe that FUJI will be out with a medium format Monochrome by next summer or fall.  If they do, I and my friend will be first in line!

Edited by jlmphotos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would be surprised if Fuji would launch a monochrome version of their GFX-line. Unlike Leica, Fuji doesn’t have their own facility to manufacture image sensors and to my knowledge there are no cropped medium format monochrome out on the market. Of course they could have something custom-made at one of the manufacturers, but that would be very expensive given the small market. APS-C sized monochrome sensors however are available (esp. for astrophotography), so a monochrome X-camera might be more likely. Of course you can always go to maxmax.com and have your GFX converted. That however only involves stripping the color array filter. Optimizing the sensor lenses (as Leica does a/o) isn’t possible in a retrofit.

Last September I was in Wetzlar at the Leica factory and I had the opportunity to take an M10-R and an M10 Monochrome for a two hour spin around the block and in their studio. The results I took home were amazing in terms of IQ. Both cameras are stellar performers but no matter how I edited the M10-R files in Capture One to monochrome, I couldn’t reach the M10 Monochrome IQ in terms of tonality and cleanness. Amazing... but it comes at a price too. And to be honest, you have to pixelpeep to really see the difference.