Switching to Fuji from Nikon

Vacantskye

Here's what I'm looking at. Been a Nikon person forever, not for bashing any others, just what I've stuck with. Talking to a friend about this tonight and wonder what people's feelings about this particular equipment in use. Please speak from experience with said equipment, and not just what you've heard. Thank you! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the forum Vacantskye,

Apart from the Sensei cleaning kit, I've had first-hand experience with all these products. The SanDisk cards are solid performers and do well in combined stills and video usage. For only stills you don't need the 300MB/s version. The 170MB/s works just as good when you shoot compressed RAW.

How good you'll experience the camera and lenses is greatly depending on what you plan to do and what your reference is/was. When your previous Nikon was a 3400 the X-T4 would overall be a step-up. When your reference was the D850 or so, you might be disappointed (except when price and size are most important). Overall the X-T4 is amongst the best APS-C based hybrid stills/video cameras on the market today. When video is of lesser concern, you may find the X-T3 just as good at a lower price. Both cameras are solid builds but not to the extend of the professional Nikons.

The lenses are quite dissimilar. The XF16 is one of Fuji's best lenses for the X-mount. Very sharp, fast and excellent close focus capabilities. It renders beautifully and has nice contrast. The XF55-200 is a somewhat older lens in Fuji's line-up. Image quality is very good, but auto focus is a bit slower and noisier. Note that the XF16 isn't really silent either and also less suited for video when using the build-in microphone. The great thing about the XF55-200 however, is that it has a great reach in a small package.

So, depending for which purpose you're gonna use this set-up it can be a very nice package for travel and general stills/video (buy a decent microphone as well). In case you have specific needs (wildlife, macro, portrait, sports...) other set-ups might be better suited.

You don't give us much to go on here to provide you with a specific answer.

Why are you wanting to switch brands? If it is to improve your photos, then save your money. YOU control that, not the camera. Any recent camera can produce marvelous photos in the right hands.

What do you photograph? That will determine your optimum lens choice. Why did you choose the 55-200 and 16?

Hopefully you will respond back with more information.

Best regards.

The coming 70-300mm may be the reason for the current discounts on the 55-200 mm. However, short before the 70-300 mm will be available many 55-200 mm users probably will sell their 55-200 mm. So you may be able to buy it used at a very good price.

Edited by Jürgen Heger

I switched from Nikon also. All of these gear choices are very good. You may want to consider the 16-55mm f2.8 lens in place of the 16 f1.4. That way you have more focal lengths to use up to the 55-200mm that you would be missing with only the 16 f1.4.

I have both of those lenses now but when I first switched, the first lens I bought was the 16-55mm. Absolutely great sharp quick lens. It is my go to lens. You would have all the focal lengths from 16 -200 with both of those lenses and not be missing the ones from 16 to 55.

Think about that.

I had another thread with questions like this (see below) where nobody answered. Currently, I tend to not switching to Fuji. The X-S10 is my favorite because of its travel size and the IBIS, plus the 16-80 which I tested on a X-T4 and found it on par with my Sigma C 17-70. However, there is the battery life which is only 300 shots compared to 900 shots on the D7500. I'd also have to rebuy a flash and some decent long lens. And I am not really a fan of the EVF.

2 hours ago, Paul Schmidt said:

I had another thread with questions like this (see below) where nobody answered. Currently, I tend to not switching to Fuji. The X-S10 is my favorite because of its travel size and the IBIS, plus the 16-80 which I tested on a X-T4 and found it on par with my Sigma C 17-70. However, there is the battery life which is only 300 shots compared to 900 shots on the D7500. I'd also have to rebuy a flash and some decent long lens. And I am not really a fan of the EVF.

The D7500 is quite a recent model and certainly one of the best APS-C DSLRs on the market. In terms of image quality for stills it can match any Fuji  X-camera (given good Nikkor lenses). Next to the reduced battery life and the EVF (which is an ‘older’ 2.36 million dots model in the X-S10) you will probably notice a slower AF-C performance, as the D7500 is blazing fast esp. in very low light. Only when you plan to shoot video, the X-S10 would make a lot of sense. The IBIS is of course nice to have, but the VR in most Nikkor lenses is also quite good.

19 hours ago, Herco said:

The D7500 is quite a recent model and certainly one of the best APS-C DSLRs on the market. In terms of image quality for stills it can match any Fuji  X-camera (given good Nikkor lenses). Next to the reduced battery life and the EVF (which is an ‘older’ 2.36 million dots model in the X-S10) you will probably notice a slower AF-C performance, as the D7500 is blazing fast esp. in very low light. Only when you plan to shoot video, the X-S10 would make a lot of sense. The IBIS is of course nice to have, but the VR in most Nikkor lenses is also quite good.

Thanks. This helps a lot. I have a Sigma Contemporary 17-70 which is hard to beat by any other zoom lens, by the way.

Edited by Paul Schmidt