Fuji XS 10

Jonno

Hello all,

I'm currently an XT30 user with 3 primes and am very drawn to to the new XS10 partly for the Ibis and the better grip, but I see it does not have a focus mode switch. I saw a mention of this being customised to the touch screen however I am wondering if it can be assigned to a button, in particular the one near the EVF which by default I believe is WB. Couldn't tell from the manual, does anyone here happen to know?

Thanks for any info.

• 4 weeks later...

Jonno, I picked up my X-S10 yesterday and like you had some concerns regarding focus modes. My previous camera was an EOS M5 and I used auto focus but when I wanted to lock the focus I was able to press a button and go straight to Manual focus mode. I wanted to replicate this ability in my new camera and have found a solution. I have set the camera to Back Button Focus. I now press and release the AFON button for single auto-focus, press and hold the AFON button for continuous auto-focus and when the AFON button is not touched I am in manual focus mode without having to press any buttons. I used Back Button focus on my old Nikon D7000 and enjoyed using it so I hope the same for the X-S10.

I have not tried it thoroughly yet as it has been raining all day and I am waiting to get out and experiment.

If you want to know the settings let me know.

Dave.

Rain stopped so went out to try the settings.

Slight disappointment, if I set the camera to AF-C mode I get single auto focus with a press and release and a continuous autofocus when I press and hold the AFON button but NO manual focus in between.

If I set  the camera to AF-M mode I get single auto focus with a press and release of the AFON button and manual focus the rest of the time.

Looks like I cant have it all, unless someone else knows better.

What I really want is to auto focus with the shutter button and be able to lock the focus until I choose otherwise. This would allow me to re-compose between shots knowing the focus has not changed.

2 minutes ago, DaveC said:

Rain stopped so went out to try the settings.

Slight disappointment, if I set the camera to AF-C mode I get single auto focus with a press and release and a continuous autofocus when I press and hold the AFON button but NO manual focus in between.

If I set  the camera to AF-M mode I get single auto focus with a press and release of the AFON button and manual focus the rest of the time.

Looks like I cant have it all, unless someone else knows better.

What I really want is to auto focus with the shutter button and be able to lock the focus until I choose otherwise. This would allow me to re-compose between shots knowing the focus has not changed.

I was just in the middle of replying to your first post to point out that it isn't quite that simple with Fuji - even if you use AF-ON you still need to choose a focus mode.

You can use AF-M in combination with AF-ON - as long as you keep your finger on the AF-ON button it will keep focussing and stop when you take it off (provided you have chosen AF-C for instant AF mode) - but its not the same as using AF-C.

Your right it is not that simple. In fact I have found that I prefer focus on the shutter release with the AFON button set to AF Lock. Now I can focus, lock it and then re-compose to my hearts content and take many photos on that focus setting.

I have put Manual focus settings on a custom setting and that works too.

Thanks for your help Greybeard, Dave.

Thanks Dave for the updates, interesting to hear you experiences. I since handled the camera and decided it was not for me for a few reasons, the missing mode switch being one of them,  also not keen on the flip out screen, much preferring the format of the XT30 , and more fatally handling a 100v which am now collecting Thursday! Hope it works out OK for you , will follow.low with interest.