Enzio

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

××××× Open Thread ×××××

Feel free to add more infrared photos ... :cool:

and here my first one ...

14829296642_724810c032_b.jpg

DSCF8366 by Enzio Harpaintner, auf Flickr

I love this, and Infrared in general.  I have a converted, old Canon Powershot and use it occasionally.  I'm actually thinking of getting a IR filter for my X-T1/2 combo.  May I ask which one you use?

• 1 month later...

Just started IR not sure if its quite right yet but its a start

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hi all

Joining your discussion here, after a long hiatus.

Comments and critique are all welcome. I have no ego riding on this, I'm already very critical of my land/cityscapeimages. In this instance it is a bit different, for this is a (almost) direct rip off from Cartier Bresson photo, except his is better in all levels... It is a panorama I make regularly, with most of my cameras, every year or so. It has become a bit of a standardized test...   ;)

The final image is rather big and I am thinking of printing it on 3 A3 (or even A2) sheets rather than making a long panorama print out (my printer doesn't do those...). Or assemble a " wall " by printing these on A4 sheets and then hanging only the "relevant" parts (don't know if this is very clear) --- I saw such a "patchwork" once and the result was interesting.

It is a view from the Ile de la Cité, in Paris, from the Pont des Arts. Shots made with a XE1 converted to 665nm, and 35mm.

(I have a much bigger one, in normal colors, shot with the 90mm, and around 400MP)

3 versions of the same scene. One BW and color version of the same panorama (2 rows, 20 images or so, with the 35mm and IR (665nm) converted XE1)

And one photo of the same scene, with different colors. For now I prefer the BW and "orange" version I assembled. The pink seemed a bit too much, but there are instances where it works great.

In the final edit, I removed the cranes on the left side of the panoramas. 

I am working on a series of such images. have made some from Nimes (and the roman aqueduct nearby) and Avignon already (south of France), but the lack of free time stalled the project. Trying to pick it up again now (thus re-starting with a view I know very well).

First the BW:

1.jpg

The color version

1.jpg

And finally the other color version. This was just my reference photo for assembling the panorama (so I can compare the panorama to it and limit distorsions)

1.jpg

of course I regret not being more in front of the tip of the island (like in HCB original photo, it is the ideal framing) but there were too many people at the "right" spot.

The inconvenient of stitching these images and then looking for errors, duplications, etc, is that one tend to look so closely at it, that one may lose some perspective on other things and become a bit colorblind to the shifts in color etc. So if you feel the stone areas are a bit too blue/cool (in that last one, and too bright in the others), let me know.

Thanks for looking

ok, that's a bit embarrassing...

(in the computer I was then , the preview of the post was fine, but apparently linking from box.com doesn't work)

Trying again:

First the BW:

The color version

And finally the other color version. This was just my reference photo for assembling the panorama (so I can compare the panorama to it and limit distorsions)

of course I regret not being more in front of the tip of the island (like in HCB original photo, it is the ideal framing) but there were too many people at the "right" spot.

The inconvenient of stitching these images and then looking for errors, duplications, etc, is that one tend to look so closely at it, that one may lose some perspective on other things and become a bit colorblind to the shifts in color etc. So if you feel the stone areas are a bit too blue/cool (in that last one, and too bright in the others), let me know.

Thanks for looking

Trying one last time for the third photo

• 2 months later...

I have been shooting a M4/3 LUMIX that I have converted for IR, but was just thinking this last week that I need to convert a Fuji body so I do not need to carry multiple brands of lenses, batteries, and bodies. These photos look great and I now think that I need to find a Fuji to convert. For those of you that have converted a Fuji, are you using native lenses? Is there anything from your experience shooting IR converted Fujis that you would recommend or avoid as far the gear itself.

Enchanted Rock, Texas

Dallas, Texas

I have been shooting a M4/3 LUMIX that I have converted for IR, but was just thinking this last week that I need to convert a Fuji body so I do not need to carry multiple brands of lenses, batteries, and bodies. These photos look great and I now think that I need to find a Fuji to convert. For those of you that have converted a Fuji, are you using native lenses? Is there anything from your experience shooting IR converted Fujis that you would recommend or avoid as far the gear itself.

I'd like to know this as well !!

Adam, I've been able to find some info at the link below. I also just bought a used X-E2 to convert and will probably send it in next month to convert. I want to spend a little time shooting with it first to make sure it doesn't have any issues. Hopefully we will get some responses here.

http://fujixsystem.blogspot.fr/p/fuji-infrared-lens-tests.html

Dealey Plaza

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had Kolari Vision convert my X100S to dual spectrum, Infrared and Visible a couple of years ago.  I have to use a "Hot Filter" for visible light or IR filters for infrared.  I have hundreds of photos on Flickr and an infrared album there.  Look for Neal3k if you are interested.

Pros on my conversion - I can shoot IR as well as any adapted camera and still shoot visible.

Cons on my conversion - I have to always use a filter (although I do get a nice combined effect if I leave all filters off.)  Also my color balance with the Hot filter seems a bit different that it did before conversion.  Not a killer and worth having both choices.

I've tried filters on my new X100F and am not happy so I will just shoot with both cameras now.  It is worth the trouble for me since I love the results with both cameras.