23mm f2 and 27mm f2.8

Hi all fellow X-E owner! I just got my x-e3 with 23mm f2!

I'm wonder if there's any benefit of getting 27mm f2.8

I think both lenses have similar enough focal length that I don't need both but that pancake lens would really go well with my XE3...

Is there anyone who owns both? Is there any benefit to it? Any thoughts or opinions are welcome :)

The 27 makes sense if you want to carry the camera in a pocket of your jacket or so. The body itself is too big for any other pockets anyway. If you carry the camera on a strap or in a small bag there's little point for a pancake lens anyway (over the 23 you already have). Note that the 27 doesn't have an aperture ring. If that's important to you (as it was for me), discard that lens. Also noteworthy: there are persistent 'rumors' about a MkII version of the 27. You may want to wait for that because it could boost IQ or it will lower second hand prices for the MkI version. Personally, I prefer the 35/f2. Though its not as small as the 27, the difference is not huge and the IQ of that 35 is stellar considering the price. It also combines nicely with the 23/f2.

• 1 month later...

I wear the X-E2 on a neck strap, cross body, under the left arm ~ so, for me, the 27mm makes that camera almost unnoticeable...but, with the Fujicron 35mm f/2, I'm much more aware of the camera.  And...I'm discovering that my dominant (right) eyes tends to "see" in 40-43mm, rather than in 52-53mm.

I own several lenses ( as you can see in my signature) and I LOOOOOVE my 27mm 2.8 "pancake".  It's sharp and fast enough for me.  I use that lens, and my 2014 Fuji XT1 as a daily carry to the office and around in the car and it's a very compact, and sweet setup when I don't want to schlep the XH1 or any of the GFX gear.

The 27mm is a wonderful lens as long as you aren't planning on shooting fast moving action with it (which I don't) except for my four grandkids.

5 hours ago, jlmphotos said:

I own several lenses ( as you can see in my signature) and I LOOOOOVE my 27mm 2.8 "pancake".  It's sharp and fast enough for me.  I use that lens, and my 2014 Fuji XT1 as a daily carry to the office and around in the car and it's a very compact, and sweet setup when I don't want to schlep the XH1 or any of the GFX gear.

The 27mm is a wonderful lens as long as you aren't planning on shooting fast moving action with it (which I don't) except for my four grandkids.

Jim, 2 of my grandkids are lighting fast.  Can you tell us why you don't like the 27mm pancake for "fast moving action"?

7 minutes ago, jlmphotos said:

Unfortunately, it is not fast enough on my XT1.  On my XH1 it's a bit faster.  For the grandkids I'll sometimes use my XT1 or XH1 with my 16mm 1.4 or 23 1.4.  I love those two lenses.

If I'm shooting their soccer matches I'll use the 50-140 2.8

So, when you say "fast enough", you're talking "focus"?.....or, aperture?

• 3 months later...