Moving from Panasonic/Olympus to Fuji

andydeano

Hello, 

Looking at potentially moving away from M43 with it's uncertain future and the X-S10 recent announcement. 

So having looked at the X-S10 the only things It's missing from my  point of view is dual card slots (I've had a card fail in the past) and weather sealing. So ended up looking at other Fuji cameras as well. So in the UK I get get the below options with along with the 18-55 and 55-200

X-S10 £1734

X-H1 £1567

X-T4 £2055

I prefer the X-H1 and X-T4 for the weather sealing and dual card slots, prefer the X-H1 for the Grip and top display( top display not a big need though).

Is there going to be much real world difference between the X-H1 and the other just as it's the oldest. Getting the X-H1 does leave more money for lenses

Flip out screen would be nice but have managed with the OMD E-M1 / GX7 with non flippy screens. 

Ideally it would be best to try the bodies out before hand but don't know how realistic that is going to be. 

So as a potential convert to Fuji does any one have any thoughts on the options (I have a budget of about £3K in total). 

Lastly enjoy all kinds of shooting predominately landscape though. 
Current kit I mainly us is the G9, 8-16 Leica, 12-60 Leica, 50-200 Leica, 100-400 Leica. 

Thanks!!

Andy, 

The XT-4 has IBIS and fast focusing (if you are into sports photography). The XT-3 has no IBIS (you probably do not need that for landscapes anyway) and is getting a firmware update soon to improve focusing speed to somewhere near XT-4 (which is irrelevant for landscapes). The X-H1 has IBIS but is slower re. focusing speed and the X-T2 is without IBIS and with focusing  speed similar to X-H1. All of them will give you the same (i.e. great) image quality. Also the X-E3, X-T30 etc. The newer ones have a few more Film Simulations but for landscapes you would likely use RAWS anyway. I would get the XT-3 (in my case keep the X-T2) and use the saving for a prime lens and C1 Pro. Of course, that is just me, there will be many other opinions for sure. Cheers.

Thanks for the reply. 

I'll take a look at the X-T3, Although I'll need to see I there is a decent grip available for it. I had an X-E1 back in 2014, but ended up not keeping it for long as it didn't have a decent grip. Hence the X-S10 perked my interest again and then the X-H1 as it had been compared to the camera in some reviews online. 
AF shouldn't be much of an issue, I hardly ever shoot sports or fast moving objects. Birds now and again but not enough to be an issue. 

I agree with George_P - go for the X-T3. There's an optional battery/vertical grip available and I would recommend it for the extra battery life it gives, but mainly because I find it balances better. The upgrade to X-T4 is only worth it if you want improved video performance or need/want IBIS.

Seems the X-T3 is in for a pretty big update to bring it up to almost an X-T4, have found a metal grip which you can get to bulk out te current grip. 

I've had a look through the manual but I might have missed it, but I can see/find anywhere where you can save custom settings. EG settings for portrait/street in one menu slot, settings for tracking continue focus  etc etc, on my current G9 I have these settings save and the camera can just be changed to these preferences with a turn of a dial. Does Fuji have a similar thing, even if it is selecting them from a menu button?

Is this what you are looking for? Page 113 in the user manual:

http://fujifilm-dsc.com/en/manual/x-t3/x-t3_omw_en_s_f.pdf

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by saltireblue

On 10/16/2020 at 1:20 PM, andydeano said:

Hello, 

Looking at potentially moving away from M43 with it's uncertain future and the X-S10 recent announcement. 

So having looked at the X-S10 the only things It's missing from my  point of view is dual card slots (I've had a card fail in the past) and weather sealing. So ended up looking at other Fuji cameras as well. So in the UK I get get the below options with along with the 18-55 and 55-200

X-S10 £1734

X-H1 £1567

X-T4 £2055

I prefer the X-H1 and X-T4 for the weather sealing and dual card slots, prefer the X-H1 for the Grip and top display( top display not a big need though).

Is there going to be much real world difference between the X-H1 and the other just as it's the oldest. Getting the X-H1 does leave more money for lenses

Flip out screen would be nice but have managed with the OMD E-M1 / GX7 with non flippy screens. 

Ideally it would be best to try the bodies out before hand but don't know how realistic that is going to be. 

So as a potential convert to Fuji does any one have any thoughts on the options (I have a budget of about £3K in total). 

Lastly enjoy all kinds of shooting predominately landscape though. 
Current kit I mainly us is the G9, 8-16 Leica, 12-60 Leica, 50-200 Leica, 100-400 Leica. 

Thanks!!

Andy,

I will just share what I have and a bit how I use it.  I have X100T, XPro2, and very recently got an E3.  I really like my X100T but found myself more often carrying the XPro2 with a 23mm f/2 and being very happy using that mostly for street photography when I travel.  The got a great deal on a new E3 and seeing it being so compact plan on traveling with those 2 cameras.  I have Panasonic M4/3 camera that I have not used in a long time.  I think you will be very happy making a move to the Fuji mainly because of the bigger sensor plus most the Fuji X camera handle so nice.   I attached an image from my XPro2 using the 23mm F/2

Look forward to seeing what you choose and some images.

3 minutes ago, jaxphotocat said:

Andy,

I will just share what I have and a bit how I use it.  I have X100T, XPro2, and very recently got an E3.  I really like my X100T but found myself more often carrying the XPro2 with a 23mm f/2 and being very happy using that mostly for street photography when I travel.  The got a great deal on a new E3 and seeing it being so compact plan on traveling with those 2 cameras.  I have Panasonic M4/3 camera that I have not used in a long time.  I think you will be very happy making a move to the Fuji mainly because of the bigger sensor plus most the Fuji X camera handle so nice.   I attached an image from my XPro2 using the 23mm F/2

Look forward to seeing what you choose and some images.

Thanks

The primes on Fuji X system do seem good (and cheaper that the Olympus pro primes / Panasonic Leica primes)

While I think from a tech point of view the X-T3 would be the logical choice. I think the X-H1 would be a more enjoyable experience (having a G9 currently). 

Thanks