New xt4 video recording - unable to capture audio with external lav mic

jesse4171

I have a brand new xt4 and love it. However when I attempt to record video, and have an external wired lav mic (rode) wired into the mic jack, there is NO audio. I can tell because not only does the outpout video have no audio, but when I look at the viewfinder, there is no movement in the screen's "audio level" indicator. Unplugging the 3.5mm jack, and the indicator rises and falls with any audio, and, without the mic plugged in, there is audio.

I have all fairly generic settings in the menus, and have been unable to determine WHY my video is not getting audio. Please help, thank you!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello there. I experimented with two different XT-4's. Both have the same result. The sound level is really bad. I turned off all the filters in the settings and set the volume to maximum. But the result is still awful. The external microphone I am using does not require additional power. I ran a test with the Saramonic BLK500. I ran a test with Rode VideoMic Pro. It still sounds very bad on both devices. I guess it's a chronic problem. By the way, I installed the most recent version. I turned all the filters off and on one by one, using two different cameras and two different external microphones. A machine has been handed over for testing by fujifilm! I'm still running the tests but I haven't found a solution.

Edited by YigitcanY

On 10/12/2020 at 2:49 PM, jesse4171 said:

I have a brand new xt4 and love it. However when I attempt to record video, and have an external wired lav mic (rode) wired into the mic jack, there is NO audio. I can tell because not only does the outpout video have no audio, but when I look at the viewfinder, there is no movement in the screen's "audio level" indicator. Unplugging the 3.5mm jack, and the indicator rises and falls with any audio, and, without the mic plugged in, there is audio.

I have all fairly generic settings in the menus, and have been unable to determine WHY my video is not getting audio. Please help, thank you!

Do you have a TRS plug (NOT a TRRS)? TRS = 2 black bands on the jack, TRRS = 3 bands.

OKEY I FİX!

My problem solution was as follows.

my microphone settings were as follows.
Built-in microphone setting: automatic
External microphone setup + 6dB
microphone input setting: Line (This was wrong)
All filters are off.
When I chose the microphone input setting as "microphone", it was using both its own microphone and an external microphone and saving it as a single audio file. I thought the only solution for this was the "Line" option of the microphone input setting. I met with Istanbul Fujifilm. it was that I chose the microphone input setting as "microphone" and turned off the built-in microphone from the built-in microphone setting. When I did this I used the external microphone and it didn't record the internal microphone. I tried this with both cameras I have. And I was able to get a very clean sound in both! I hope it's just your fault too.

Also, the most common mistake was using a three-line jack. The machine causes 95% of problems when using the three-line jack. We need to use two-line jacks! Dont use your phones mic.

And sorry my english bad. I'm translated whit google. I hope you could understand.