Vlogging setup questions

shev

Hello all,

I need to make some instructional videos for work - and I'm a one-man-crew. This means I need to control the camera (shoot, change settings) remotely from my laptop or phone (preferably computer). 

I have the X-t1. I love the 90 mm lens. Problem is, the fuji phone app is garbage for this camera and my question is - is this the same remote phone app for all fuji cameras? No matter what I have the settings set at, this app defaults them all back to 720p once I start recording. Is this still an issue, or if I buy a newer camera, will I have complete, functional, remote control (film simulation, shutter, aperture, resolution, and single auto focus) and viewing?

Second question: if there is an app like I mentioned above, what's the cheapest 4k fujifilm model that can use my 90mm lens?

Do you suggest I just entirely bail on Fuji if video is a required function?

• 1 month later...

FYI - I'm new to the Fuji world (X-T200 and X-S10). These two appear to be possible options:

Capture One Express is free but the tethering option requires a paid-for upgrade to Pro. Not clear if Tethered Shooting Software is still supported. 

On the Sony side (I've the a6400), there's Imaging Edge - https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-ca/ie-desktop.html. I find there's a lot more features with the Sony option instead of the Fuji. This should work with lower end/older a6000 series cameras as well.

Edited by Joe Roxx

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2020 at 1:32 PM, shev said:

Hello all,

I need to make some instructional videos for work - and I'm a one-man-crew. This means I need to control the camera (shoot, change settings) remotely from my laptop or phone (preferably computer). 

I have the X-t1. I love the 90 mm lens. Problem is, the fuji phone app is garbage for this camera and my question is - is this the same remote phone app for all fuji cameras? No matter what I have the settings set at, this app defaults them all back to 720p once I start recording. Is this still an issue, or if I buy a newer camera, will I have complete, functional, remote control (film simulation, shutter, aperture, resolution, and single auto focus) and viewing?

Second question: if there is an app like I mentioned above, what's the cheapest 4k fujifilm model that can use my 90mm lens?

Do you suggest I just entirely bail on Fuji if video is a required function?

Fujifilm is not good at vloging, IMO. I hope it gets there but will not hold my breath. The phone application is crude and limited. If you need something for work, get what others recommend and go with that. Video and remote camera control are not "meta" for Fujifilm products and they keep trailing the competition on this ever-more critical tech.

Honestly, I am following light-field imaging for future photo/video tech and Fujifilm does not figure in it anywhere. That is how big I feel the gap is. Fujifilm's phone applications are way behind the technology curve.

It does not matter what generation Fujifilm camera you have. The app's are not good.