Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What could be causing this in my X-T3.  160ISO, 20 sec exposure, 16-80mm at 22 mm.  Attached is a crop.  Looks like red and green hot pixels.  My film sim is the std default as well.  All photos are raw and edited in lightroom.

Edited by chrisdennyphoto
More details.

Did you try pixel remapping? The hot pixels may be gone after that procedure. The X-T3 should remap by itself from time to time but you can force the process from the menu.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Olaf W. said:

Did you try pixel remapping? The hot pixels may be gone after that procedure. The X-T3 should remap by itself from time to time but you can force the process from the menu.

Thanks Olaf.  I did the pixel mapping last week.  With that said, these photos are taken in late evening and most long exposures.  Not all my photos have them.  Sometimes its a bright green pixel somewhere in the image and some brighter spots that look like noise but they stand out more prominant and not really in the lower left but lower left is most dominant at times.  Again, this doesn't happen but maybe 1 every 10 shots but its on those shots that I don't want this.

Edited by chrisdennyphoto

I do not have any good thoughts about how to stop the hot pixels from showing up, but there are noise reduction techniques from astrophotography that may help your images until you are able to get the hardware issue resolved.

Right after taking a long exposure shot (or sequence) put the lens cap back on and take another image at the very same settings you used for the long exposure shot. in your image editing software, put this dark frame as a layer directly above your good image layer. Set the blend mode for the dark frame to “Subtract”. That should take care of a lot of the minor issues and help towardcthe major ones.

Another possibility is to set the blend mode to “Difference” and play with the layer’s opacity setting.

These do depend on whether or not your image processing software allow you to do that sort of thing.

18 minutes ago, jerryy said:

I do not have any good thoughts about how to stop the hot pixels from showing up, but there are noise reduction techniques from astrophotography that may help your images until you are able to get the hardware issue resolved.

Right after taking a long exposure shot (or sequence) put the lens cap back on and take another image at the very same settings you used for the long exposure shot. in your image editing software, put this dark frame as a layer directly above your good image layer. Set the blend mode for the dark frame to “Subtract”. That should take care of a lot of the minor issues and help towardcthe major ones.

Another possibility is to set the blend mode to “Difference” and play with the layer’s opacity setting.

These do depend on whether or not your image processing software allow you to do that sort of thing.

Actually the setting LONG EXPOSURE NR should do the dark frame subtraction. In my XT30 it works without any problem. That's why you have to wait more than double the exposure time, until the long exposure is finished with this setting on.

4 hours ago, chrisdennyphoto said:

Ahh man.  I was hoping you would not say that.  I hope thats not what is needed.  Servicing can take weeks.  Just had this thing for a month.

Did you use LONG EXPOSURE NR?? Actually this should remove the hot pixels from the raw and jpeg. 

5 hours ago, chrisdennyphoto said:

OK.  I will look into that as a temp solution.  Hopefully, a perm solution will come up.

I think your camera is fine. A hot sensor will show more hot pixels. They come and go over time. Nothing to worry.

18 hours ago, Wolvesgang said:

Did you use LONG EXPOSURE NR?? Actually this should remove the hot pixels from the raw and jpeg. 

this I did not do.  I usually try to temper my noise reduction because l want to control it in post but I will give this a try and see if it keeps its sharpness.

19 hours ago, Wolvesgang said:

Actually the setting LONG EXPOSURE NR should do the dark frame subtraction. In my XT30 it works without any problem. That's why you have to wait more than double the exposure time, until the long exposure is finished with this setting on.

It can be, if you are shooting a single exposure. If you are shooting a sequence, then things get more complicated. Here is a better explanation:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/635338-long-exposure-noise-reduction-vs-dark-frame-subtraction/

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Hector Tapia
      Hi to all Fuji lovers, I’d like to share a shortfilm https://vimeo.com/456176145 I recently released and has some complementary shots on Fuji xt3, most of the footage is from DNG files Magic Lantern on 5d MK3 from 2013. Hope you guys like it and feedback welcome!!!! 

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • By thewitness
      Recently upgraded from my XT-1 and purchased a black Fuji XT-3, but it ended up getting "lost in transit." Now it seems that it's no longer in stock, and B&H is no help. And on top of that, the price has now gone back up from the $999 price to $1,499.

Is the XT-3 really that backed up on orders? What's going on to cause the price increase and such a long restock time?
    • By StudioB|Photography
      I switched over to Fuji from Nikon a few years ago and seem to have become quite a gear collector. When I used Nikon I had a Nikon D7200 and the 24mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 50mm 1.8, 85mm f1.8, and 60mm f2.8D lenses. Since moving to Fuji I have managed to obtain the following:
      cameras: X-T3, X-T30, and recently the X100V
      lenses: Laowa 9mm f2.8, Fuji 10-24mm, Fuji 16mm F2, Fuji 16mm f1.4, Fuji 16-80, Fuji 18-55, Fuji 23mm f2, Fuji 27mm, Fuji 35mm f2, Mitakon 35mm, Fuji 50mm F2, Fuji 56mm, Voigtlander 58mm f1.4, Fuji 55-200, and the Fuji 90mm (still also have the Nikon 60mm f2.8D).
      So I love all of these lenses, but honestly have way too many to put them all to use as I should. I am wanting to move to a minimalist set up. I recently purchased the X100V and instantly fell in love with that camera. The one lens design has really helped me rediscover what I loved about photography upon first starting out. So the X100V is staying with me. So I am wanting to sell some of my excess and need some advice about what to keep. At the moment I am thinking about keeping the X-T3 with the Laowa 9mm, Fuji 16 f1.4, Fuji 56 f1.2, Fuji 90mm f2, Fuji 16-80mm, Mitakon 35mm, and Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 (just for the fun of manual focusing).
      My question is, does this sound like a reasonable set-up? I really want to move away from zooms (except for the 16-80 for fun).
    • By vitalion
      Hello all.   i have found several threads on various forums and grops for this issue but mst of them are more than 12months old. I am having some trouble with my X-T3 and I am looking for some help or suggestions. As i have found online this is issue its called “camera locked up” Out of the blue the camera freezes. The LCD would still be showing a live view, but the entire HUD would disappear. The camera would not respond to any buttons being pressed. Even switching it off wouldn’t work. Additionally, the orange LED light is on and not going off or going into green. The only way to recover control was to literally pop the battery out and put it back in. I am shooting on single mode not CL or CH. Compressed RAW and Fine JPEG   setup: X-T3 with 18-55 kit lens (less than two months old from my local fuji reseller) Original Fuji battery Latest firmware for both the body and the lens SanDisk 64GB Extreme 90MB/s (picture here. I had it from a 60D canon) Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.                   I have reset to factory settings tried another lens as well. Reinstalled the latest firmware via SD Card. SD card format on camera.   to be honest i have not identify any pattern for the issue. it happens randomly and in various lighting and temperature conditions     Any suggestions or possible solutions will be appreciated. Thank you !
    • By Skeusen
      Question from a newbie with a used X-T2 and aging eyesight. The YouTube gurus seem inconsistent with regard to whether or not the 3,690,000 dot EVF on the X-T3 is a noticable improvement over the 2,360,000 dot one in the X-T2. It's not the only reason to upgrade of course, but I'm looking for any justification I can find! Does anyone with experience of both care to opine on the relative merits of the two EVFs?

• I'm 90% sure it's firmware related. It's far too inconsistent to be a hardware issue. I reached out to Fuji Repair a few months ago and they had not heard of the issue and advised I send it in, but somebody on Facebook said sending it in did nothing.
    • It has to be a problem with the firmware, surely? I'm inclined to send it for repair but because it happens infrequently I'm put off sending it back should they not be able to replicate the issue.  Surely Fuji must be aware of this problem.
    • Yeah, that sounds right in terms of frequency of occurrence. No resolution or even determination of cause unfortunately, just confirmation its quite common in the Facebook group, and its not limited to exposure compensation, but any other front-dial activity 
    • Did you find out any more about this problem or how to resolve it? Im experiencing the same thing.
    • This same thing is happening to my camera. It doesn't happen all the time. Id say one in every 15 times it is switched on. I then have to switch it off then back on again to cure the problem.   Did you manage to resolve the issue or find out why it might be happening?