X-T3 and a canon 300mm f2.8

Hi All,

Im new to the fuji world of cameras and have ordered my first Fuji camera, the X-T3.  In a previous life I was a press photographer and had all the lens that would came with it like the long sport lenes.  I want to hear if anyone has had experience using canon glass on the fuji camera, especially the 300mm f2.8.

Does it work? what is the crop factor and what adaptor to use is the best?

Everything else I will use in terms of glass will be fuji glass. just l ike photographing the kids playing sports a few times a year to justify not selling the lens.

many thanks

Chris

Yes, it works. There is no change in the crop factor — it is still the.1.5 ratio of full frame to aps-c. That part is tougher to answer, it depends on whether you want to use the lens in fully manual mode, or you want to use things like af, having the lens’ exif data reported in the file, etc. There are are adapters that are essentially manual connectors that do no more than let you connect the lenses to the body with nothing else enabled and there are adapters than give you full electronic control — as long as the lens had it to begin with. There is a company called Fringer that you can look into, there are others you can find by using your favorite search engine to search for Canon ef to Fujifilm fx adapters (or any variations on that). 

No, it is "just as fast". I use a Canon 50mm f1.4 and a Canon mount long lens with an adapter and you would need decent electronic measuring equipment in a lab setting to detect any significant af speed difference between using the lenses on a Canon body instead of a Fujifilm body. If you look on other sites as that have Fujifilm forums, there are shooters that post images of birds in flight, landing and taking-off, dogs in motion, race cars, etc. all down with long lenses through an adapter.

Or, to put it another way, no noticeable delay. That said, it also depends on the body and the lens. Fujifilm's fastest body will not make a slow af lens auto focus any faster.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ScottyfromOz said:

Thanks Jerryy, I have ordered my camera and adaptor and looking forward to trying it out myself

Let us know how you get on - I'm using a Canon 200/f2.8 with a Fringer adapter and it works well although there are times when some sort of image stability would be useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate,. I have the camera now and using the fringer pro and finding the focusing jumps all over the place.

It doesn't 'lock' on to anything.  When it's sharp it's great but it sounds some time trying to work it out.

I'm using the canon 16-35mm f2.8 and the 70-200mm with similar results.

The 300mm lens test was a bust but that was my fault as I was still in single focus mode and not continuous focus mode.  I won't make that mistake again.

What setting should I have the camera on?  So far I'm really disappointed with the focus of the camera.  I hope it's user error and a simple fix.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Does the focus bounce around when you are looking through the viewfinder?

If so, it probably means that the menu setting for touchscreen focusing is turned on. Turn it to off in the menu settings and the focus point should only move when you use the joystick to move it around.

Turn that setting to on when you want to use the back lcd screen as the “viewfinder” and then touch the spot you want to use as focus point. This is the cellphone method for focusing.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I have a Fuji XT3 and Fringer Pro. I have tried using it with my Canon 300mm. f2.8 IS but the focus hunts all over the place. When it does get it right it is as sharp as I would expect using my Canon 7D II. Most of the long Canon lenses have now been added to the list of lenses having software optimisation. All the Series I and Series II IS models with the exception of the 300mm. F2.8 IS series I. I can't help wondering if they have experienced some problem with matching this lens with the Fringer mount.

It is quite some while since you first raised this question. How have you faired since with finding an answer. I would be very interested to hear of your success or failure to solve this problem as I would love to be able to move away from my Canon 7D II and use the XT3 with this lens.

• 1 month later...

Since my last post on April 1st I have been in touch with Fringer and explained my problem. I had a somewhat curt reply informing me that if the lens had not been optimised by them in an update, that was all I could expect. The reason they have not produced an optimisation for this model of lens, they tell me , is because they have been unable to find one to test! As this was one of Canons most popular long lenses I am surprised to say the least. They tell me that they may possibly make the optimisation some time in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

I was a Canon user for 42 years before I switched to Fujifilm. I have several Canon FD lenses that I use. 50 f1.4, 85 f1.2L, 200 f2.8 IF, 400 f4.5 IF, 500mm f8 mirror. Bought cheap adapters for all and they work swell. I personally have found using them without focusing aids works better for me. The X-Trans focus peaking is just weird. Used the 200 f2.8 last week to shoot through a door into a courtroom and used it today covering budget meetings at the Oklahoma Capitol to get close ups of people in the meetings. Really, really, really would like to get the 500 f4.5L as I had that back in the day and it was awesome glass. But, since Fujifilm is introducing a 150-600 lens May 31, I'll spend my money on that instead.