Repair info for my X30 please

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love the camera, especially the smaller size, viewfinder,  and quality. I have a lens issue now, it's a perfect working camera but only if I keep it at the 28mm setting. If I try to go higher there is a grinding noise as if something is being damaged, so I now have a perfect 28mm fixed lens camera. 

Fuji repair service quoted me a price for repair but it approaches the value of the camera. Does anyone know of a good repair company for this? I'm tempted to try to open it myself after looking on the ifix site. I think I could disassemble it correctly but not sure what I'd find once I get to the lens itself.  

I appreciate any thoughts you can provide.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I wish they release a firmware fixing these indeed !. because the other methods seems a bit complex... let's hope.. because fujifilm used to listen to users since the start...
    • Hi all  A new X100V owner. Some reviews mentioned that a lens filter is required to make the camera weather resistant. What type of filter ? Just a normal UV filter? Also any recommendations of lens hood? Does the lens hood create shadow when using the inbuilt flash? Any other accessories I need to consider?  Thanks 
    • I'm in exactly the same position. For professional work I've moved away from Fujifilm, but for personal work I still love the X-Pro2 form factor. The X-Pro3 indeed misses the point for me. Next to a number of improvements (faster AF, better EVF, placement of the diopter adjustment and exposure comp dial) there are some crucial misses for me: the sub screen is nothing but a gimmick and looks cheap on this camera. The tilting screen is exactly the wrong implementation, whereas the X100V is exactly right if you want a tilting screen at all. Same for the ISO dial. But the main issue for me was dropping the X-Pro2 dual magnification in the OVF rendering the X-Pro3 OVF useless for anything wider than 23mm or longer than 50mm. So I returned the X-Pro3 I had on trial and kept using my X-Pro2 (although I mostly use my M10-R and Q2 nowadays). Now, the X-Pro models have always been niche cameras for Fujifilm. Therefore the launch of newer models followed roughly a 4 year cycle. So, logic dictates that we should expect a new model around Oct 2023. If at all, because a friendly retailer (one of the larger online ones in Europe) told me that X-Pro3 sales were initially good due to X-Pro2 owners replacing their camera, but dropped sharply thereafter and is now way under previous X-Pro2 levels. As said before, this is a niche camera in a rapidly shrinking market (digital camera sales dropped between 2011 and 2021 by over 90%) and it's a rather expensive one too. Priced in 'full-frame territory'. Potential buyers love the looks, but buy an X-T3/T4 (of a full-frame compact like the Z5, A7C or S5) because it's more convenient with better options. What doesn't help is that the newer f1.4 lenses (the 18, 23 and 33) are all substantially bigger and render the OVF on the X-Pro's useless, while at the same time some of the crucial compact lenses (the 16/f2.8 and the 23/f2) in terms of pure image quality are not Fuji's best. Long story short, the X-Pro3 is a rather expensive niche camera with the relative low sales numbers to match that. If at all, the successor isn't likely to be expected before end 2023.
    • Good question. I have wondered the same thing. I have an X-Pro2 and was considering the X-Pro3 until I read the specs. I am waiting to see what the X-Pro4 looks like. A lot of my reasoning is simply that I really like the camera I have and I would only make the jump to a newer model if it offered some feature or function that I really wanted. I use the display on my current camera quite a bit - just to check battery status or show a photo to someone. I don't like the way the display on the X-Pro3 was done. I really hope Fuji goes back to something else.
    • I love my X-Pro2 but I would not "upgrade" to the X-Pro3, I don't like the flippy screen and definitely not the way it has been implemented. I don't like the rubbery finish. The X-Pro was supposed to be the leading edge APS-C camera but clearly that is the X-T4 or possibly the X-H2 very soon. To me the X-Pro is the right size but has been forgotten. I really don't want an SLR anymore but to me the X-Pro3 misses the mark. So has it been a success compared to the X-Pro2? I am wondering if the replacement will return to amore conventional X-Pro2 style format without the gimmicks.