external 3.5mm microphone not producing sound

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, I have a cheap lav mic with a 1/8" cable that isn't producing any audio when plugged in to the XT200.  I played with the mic gain settings in the camera's menu, but still no help. The built-in mic works fine but obviously would like improved audio quality.  Does this camera require a powered microphone to be used instead?  Anything I'm missing something as far as settings go?  Does something need to be turned 'on'? I'm new to the camera game and upgraded from my iPhone, which obviously was working with this mic w/o any problem.  

Thanks in advance!  

• 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By BenIndigo
      I just got a new X-S10 and after about 4 days of use it started making an audible whirring sound when on. It's loud enough to hear at an arms length and makes too much sound for use with a hotshoe mounted mic. I've tried turning off the IBIS and autofocus and nothing seems to stop it. I am using the 16-80 predominantly but it also makes the sound with an old manual lens. The sound stops when in playback mode. I tried updating the firmware to the most recent which has not solved the issue.
      Does anyone have any ideas or should I just exchange it?

Thanks,
    • By Gareth 32
      I just recently bought the xs 10 and havent used it much it's still new. I noticed that when shooting 4k and DCI 4k there's a lite flicking sound that sound like a fan or something that comes from the front near the lense mount or even in the lens. I also heard this during playback when testing the internal mic. This sound does not happen when shooting FHD and I'm wondering is it because shooting 4k is more taxing on the Camera or the Lense. When I take the lense of and record with the sensor cap on the camera the sound is gone. is this normal or is this a fault and If its a fault can it be fixed or should I send the camera back. Thanks
    • By AnthonyXT
      Hello all,

My apologies if this is not the correct area to post this, as I am new here.

I am about to pull my hair out, as I can not get the Takstar mic to work with my X-T100. I purchased a 2.5mm / 3.5mm jack adapter on Amazon to plug them together. I tried both sound settings of "Mic" and "Remote" in which "remote" picks up noise from the camera's microphone and the "mic" setting picks up nothing at all, I just hear a white, airy noise and nothing else.

Has anyone encountered this and are there any solutions out there? My head hurts.

Thank you!
    • By Mervyn
      I recently reacquired the Fuji 56f1.2. It's a fantastic lens and I should never have sold it.

However, my new copy of the 56 occasionally makes a humming sound that persists after acquiring focus in AF-S mode. I don't recall my old 56 ever doing this on my X-T2 so now I'm slightly concerned.

For the rest there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it.

At about one in a 20 shots, especially at minimum range (though I've also had it happen at infinity), the auto-focus motor keeps humming after acquiring focus. Sometimes it stops after a few seconds, but I've also had occasions where it wouldn't stop until I'd press the focus button again or switch off the camera. It happens in AF-S mode.

My question is: do other people with the 56 experience this occasional after-focus hum as well, or could it be that I got a bad copy? And my second question is; could it possibly damage or shorten the lifespan of the lens when the autofocus motor keeps running after acquiring focus? I would hate to have the lens work for two years and then break just after the warranty has expired. And my last question: would you keep it and try your luck, or would you return it to the shop and exchange it for another copy?

Edit: Problem solved, see my post below.
    • By jeremyclarke
      I know Fuji cameras are bad at video and you need to be really careful to get anything worth looking at (use a tripod to avoid shake-related jaggies, avoid moiré-inducing textures, use MF to avoid focus hesitation), but I have some things I want to record and so far the ability to use my f/1.4 primes means my X-T10 is still probably the best way to get it done.

Assuming I can record something that looks good, I still need to figure out audio, as the internal mic is obviously just okay, and if my 35mm f/1.4 is ever in AF mode the noise it makes re-adjusting focus is really really loud. 

So what will I need to use an external mic with the X-T10? I know the mic jack is 2.5mm rather than the more common 3.5mm. Has anyone gotten an adapter to work for it? When I look at adapters on Amazon a lot of them specifically mention that the microphone won't work but they are talking about headphone+mic "headsets" rather than e.g. a small lavalier mic plugged in (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107121-2-5mm-Adaptor-Plated/dp/B005KP2AJY/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1441477003&sr=1-7&keywords=2.5mm+3.5mm+microphone ). 

Anyone have an adapter they bought that they know works with Fuji cameras?

In terms of the mic itself I'm leaning towards this Audio Technica lavalier mic because it's pretty cheap, has a long cord and will also work with my iPhone if I want to record sepearately and sync up later. 

http://www.amazon.ca/Audio-Technica-ATR3350IS-Lavalier-Microphone-Smartphones/dp/B00HZA6EJO/ref=pd_cp_267_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0GB9Z66AP2R02AWFTF07

Anyone know a reason why this wouldn't work with my X-T10+an adapter? Advice for a better setup to use with X-T10?

Thanks for any advice about what I should buy, or also any general advice about audio recording on Fuji cameras. 
    • Hi, DaveC. Thank you so much for the really valuable information...very much appreciated! On the power off/on, I guess I was being a little too impatient when pressing the shutter. On the auto ISO, I'll definitely give it a try, as that's a pretty important one for me. I have found that the ISO button and joystick pretty easy to reach while looking at the EVF, so maybe there's no reason to reassign the top left dial. With only a little time spent with the X-S10 so far, I have found the AF and image quality outstanding, as you noted. Even with the challenges of learning a new system, it's been fun getting to know my new toy! Again, thank you for responding to my inquiry. Pentax Forums is a valuable source of information for Pentax users, and it's nice to know Fuji X Forum can provide similar advice and support. Cheers!  
    • OK thanks for the reply,  It's seems like a pretty straightforward thing to implement with all the super fast ssd available in the market.  Maybe in the next model..
    • I don't believe it is possible sadly.   But would be great if it was. 
    • Welcome rickc, I too was new to Fuji when I got my X-S10 and 16-80mm last December. It is a great camera and lens combo. Point 1. To wake up the camera just half press the shutter button but keep it pressed for a second or too and it will wake up. When half pressed you will feel the IBIS doing its thing , thats OK, just keep it pressed till it wakes up. Point 2. Set the X-S10 to M mode on the mode dial and you will have aperure on the front dial and shutter speed on the rear dial. Then set the iso to Auto, Press the iso button on the top plate and use the joy stick to scroll down to the auto iso settings. The user manual does explain the auto iso settings quite well (the pdf that is). Note you can also re-assign the top left dial to exposure compensation if you like that as well. I have been using these settings just lately to photograph butterflies at high shutter speeds. I came from using Canon and Nikon cameras and find the image quality is outstanding and hope you continue to enjoy the camera. Best wishes DaveC. 
    • Look for"sportsfinder"