Love my X-T3 but a bit disappointed in some software details

XT-3 Owner

Hi everyone,

I am playing around with my new X-T3 and love it so far. Its nice and sturdy and once of get used to it it seems to shine more and more.
There are just a few things that make me scratch my head since they make the software seem like people havent thought about it enought - or I am missing something.

A few examples:

The menu system always starts in the my menu, no matter where I have been. That means juggling in menus a lot more than necessary often. Is there a way around it?

The time lapse function seems buggy, when set a time until it starts the camera shuts down. Nevertheless it would make much more sense to have at least the option to start the sequence simply by pressing the shutter release button. Also the "non-pro" feature for automatic stitching of the image to a short movie seems missing. Why?

Focus peeking is great but if I magnify the image a lot to see the details it is not helpful anymore. In my opinion it would be common sense to just have it turned off when magnified so you can see the details.

The 18-55 OIS lens seems to "work" every time I put the camera in play mode, making noises. To me it is unclear why that should happen.

The touch functionality for menus would be great too :)

The rest I really like so far. Coming from a Canon M50 I was missing a bit of the ease of use first and still struggle with some stuff but I think I wont have any problems loving the camera.

Image quality is great and build quality as well.

What do you think? What would you improve in the Software?

Jo

The only way -to my knowledge- to prevent the camera to go to My Menu every time you enter the menu button, is to leave the My Menu completely empty. The purpose of My Menu is to have quick access to the most used menu items, hence it always starts there. Should  you decide not to use the My Menu, you can always add 4 most used feature to the Q-menu and activate them with the Q-button and the touch interface of that menu.

From what you describe the 18-55 can do a couple of things in the background. When PRE-AF is ON, the camera will always focus. It could be that it still does when in replay mode (I haven't checked it as I don't have that lens). Another (more likely) noise could be that of the OIS. On the 18-55 there's a switch for that. Try it in OFF mode and see whether the noise persists.

The focus peaking for manual focus indeed needs an upgrade. I also have experience with an A7RIV and an SL2 and they have better focus peaking esp. during magnification. Esp. the A7RIV with the Loxia lenses works brilliant. The issue with Fuji is that indeed when magnifying the peaking gives a very flickery image. So either quiet it down of switch FP off when magnification is activated. Another issue is that for some Fuji cameras (e.g. my beloved X-Pro2) the focus peaking color yellow is not available for some inexplicable reason. Yellow is for most shooting situations the most visible color (at least in my experience).

Another issue is that for many menu settings there's no help function or explanation in the menu. After many years of Fuji I know most settings by heart, but it took me a while. It would be easy to have a line of text explaining the menu setting at hand. Most other cameras have such a feature. Fuji only does this for certain settings like film simulations, but consistent use would improve the usability.

Finally, some menu options are named differently on the various Fuji cameras. On the X-Pro2 there's the option "preview pic. effect" which is called "natural live view" on the X-H1. Those things can be easily aligned, even though there could be a small tech. difference between the two options. Other than that I think the Fuji menus are quite good and at least a lot clearer than the older Sony menus (not the A7SIII) but not as good as the Leica and Canon menus. It sits nicely in between 😉

Thank you for your insights. I think even without my menu it just starts "from scratch" in the menus, which is especially annoying if you change the buried custom display settings.

Another minor problem is the display of the highest ISO if ISO is in auto mode in the display. I find it distracting and not of much value, instead I would like to see a real time update of the chosen iso of the current lighting situation. If I half press the shutter it seems to work this way but it doesnt seem very good. Also the changes of the lighting could be much smoother.

The kit lens really tends to be loud and making noises, independent of the settings. I found many people complaining about it, will contact fuji service though because some say it could be fixed if you send it in.

• 2 months later...

"After many years of Fuji I know most settings by heart, but it took me a while."

Agreed Herco! Fuji sent me an X-Pro 1 in 2012 when it was introduced and I immediately fell into a love/hate relationship that continues to this day (i'm thankful to say). It's the 🤬 menu system! As a pro Nikon shooter the menus in Fuji are horrendous and exhibit ZERO intuitiveness.

Herco, I'm going to try emptying out My Menu to see if that helps. Besides that there is NOTHING of interest for me in My Menu. Two items I would most like:

- Format
- Sensor Clean

As it is, if I format Slot #1 I have to start navigation from scratch to reach Format for Slot #2. And ditto on doing multiple sensor cleans.

In my Nikon the menu returns to where ever I was last.

🤬

Frustrated and still in love with my Pro 2...

Fotomatt

"In my Nikon the menu returns to where ever I was last."

I believe the FujiFilm rules go as follows:

- if you have MyMenu items it always goes to the first of these

- if you don't have MyMenu items then it goes to the first item in the IQ menu when you first turn the camera on

-  once the camera is turned on (and there are no MyMenu items) it goes back to the last item selected so long as that item is not in the SetUp menus; in that case it goes it goes back to the first item in the IQ menu

All seems perfectly logical

Ok...items removed from My Menu. Still, say for instance I do a sensor clean and want to repeat that. Upon completing the first it closes the menu. Clicking menu defaults to IQ whereupon I need to navigate all the way back to sensor clean again.

What I would love in My Menu:

1. Sensor Clean
  2. Format
  3. Grid pattern

Honestly not much more than these.