Les White

16-55 vs 18-135 and 55-200

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the following fuji zooms--10-24, 18-135, 55-200, 50-140 and 100-400 plus a few good primes--I am thinking about selling the 18-135 and 55-200 and getting the 16-55 2.8 since I have the midranges pretty well covered--I would welcome opinions of what I am thinking about

Apart from the generic comment that "this depends on what you're shooting" it makes sense to me. I already wondered about the huge overlap in the area beyond 50 mm. The 16-55 is a great lens and as you're used to the 18-135 you won't be struck by it's size and weight. Note that on the wider end (16 mm) the lens has much more distortion and corner softness as the 10-24, so I would definitely keep that, unless you have the 12 or 14 mm primes. On the long end (35 and above) it is a very good lens for portraits. The f2.8 creates a nice focus transition and good quality of bokeh for a zoom lens. Dustin Abbott on Youtube has made a very good balanced review of the 16-55.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome here, Everett!
    • Hi. Everett here, a US Expat in Berlin Germany since 2013. I focus mainly on landscape photography but dabble in architecture, and switched from Micro 4/3 (predominately Olympus) gear completely over to Fuji in early 2019 with an XT3 with grip, the holy trinity of zooms and 35mm 1.4 as well as an old X70 for a daily banger.  To be honest, Sony was going to be my choice but I couldn’t justify the lens size, prices and I felt like I was using a computer instead of a camera.  Fuji still f
    • Ha! Thanks I imagine a day when cameras and devices will communicate much simpler.
    • Glad yor figured - or should I say fiddled - it out 😉
    • This is the set up that I’m currently running. My XT3 with battery grip / wide zoom / 16-50 and 50-140 is what I lug around for landscape. If I’m doing anything else, I’ve got a 35mm on it, but at the end of the day it’s still too large to consider a daily runner so I recently got the old X70, which has a great lens and more than acceptable IQ. I have or had both the Panasonic LX100 and Sony RX100 and they both have serious sensor and lens dust issues and are more frustrating to shoot with than