My favorite camera bag is...

This is the Lowerpro 302 AW Slingshot Backpack.  I use this for storage at home, and the bag that I use to transport equipment in the car.  Out of this bag, I load up my Thinktank Retrospective 20 (in Pinestone) 

The Lowepro I've also used to hike.  Not with all this equipment, but pretty well loaded up.  It also has a side strap for my tripod and numerous pockets for accessories.  Just as an example here is what I keep in it and travel with:

Nikon D800

Nikon 50mm 1.8G

Nikon 18-35 G

Vivitar 100mm F2.8 Macro (not visible)

Fuji X-T1 with grip

Fuji 18-55 Lens

Fuji 35mm F1.4

Fuji 55-200

Zeiss Touit 12mm 2.8 (not visible)

Nikon SB700

Nikon SB400

Fuji EF-42

Fuji Extension tubes

Thinktank Pocket Rocket SD card wallet 12ea 16G & 32G cards

Think tank battery holder for 4 Fuji batteries

Think tank battery holder for 4 Nikon D800 Batteries

Filter pouch loaded with all my Singh-Rays and ND filters

Cleaning supplies

Remote releases for both bodies

And numerous smaller items

I normally would already have my Think Tank Retro 20 pre-packed with what I "think" I"ll need, and the backpack stays in the car.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

I feel I have to amend this.  Recently, I purchased the Thinktank Citywalker 30 and I've been using it as a walk around bag, office messenger bag, and finally a camera bag.  I have my review at my xshooters blog if you care to read the full review.  If not, that's cool.  I have more updates to post about using it on my first away from home stock/travel trip and I plan to do that later this week.  

• 7 months later...

I'm pretty happy with my new Tamrac Apache 4 camera bag ;) as it really is a great walk around bag!

The Tamrac Apache 4 is an excellent all-round bag for both casual photo walks in the streets and trekking or light outdoor hiking!

Tamrac_Apache4.jpg

It is light yet very capable, rugged and stylish for a business meeting and can hold all my mirrorless gear (X-E2 with 16-55 and 55-200 plus bits and pieces) with ease and security.

It has the good feature of the silent closure velcro, very good padding, two nice side pockets and the zippered front pocket for all your bits and pieces.

The inner pocket easily holds a 10 inch tablet.

The outer sailcloth seems durable and reasonably waterproof, though not fit for the heaviest downpours, but gives the bag an inconspicuous low-profile look, all you need in a crowded city street.

The only drawback I can think of is a missing extra small rain cover for extra shelter!

Price-wise, I think it is really excellent for the money.

Overall a great bag, absolutely in the Tamrac tradition.

Super recommended!

Ciaooo, :P

R

Yes. I have the same bag. Like you, I have an X-E2, 18-135, 55-200 plus can get an 18 mm and a 35 mm lens in the bag, assuming one of the big lenses is on the camera. Flash unit (EF20) goes in side pocket and spare batteries, SD cards and remote release in front, with camera manual in the back zipper. I have had the bag for about two years now and am very happy with it.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

My latest favorite is the Tenba Cooper13 Slim. Holds my X-Pro 2, and 23/35/50 f/2 kit perfectly, along with accessories and non-camera stuff like sunglasses, keys, wallet, etc. Sits well on the shoulder, includes a rain cover and slot for sliding over the handle of a rolling suitcase, and is quite good looking in my opinion.

https://www.tenba.com/products/tenba-cooper-13-slim.aspx

• 2 months later...

I've used a Billingham Hadely Pro for a few years now and it's a great bag, but I recently picked up a Filson Harvey Messenger bag that I love. The Billingham is what I use if I'm just carrying camera gear. My typical kit is an X-Pro2, 35mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, and 56mm f/1.2 lenses. Plenty of room for those and a few random small accessories. However, when I travel overseas I usually put my 12" Macbook, passport, etc in my camera bag as my "personal item" on the flight and the Hadley Pro has felt a very crowded even though everything fits. Plus, the computer easily slides into the space between the insert and the bag, but it has no padding on the outside. I now prefer the Harvey bag for international travel. It has just enough extra space to feel roomy without being too large, has a laptop sleeve, and it looks fairly inconspicuous on the street.

As far as weather resistance, Filson is one name that you can absolutely trust and this bag lives up to the reputation. This is one of my major concerns with camera bags. I never want to feel that protecting my equipment is getting in the way of enjoying a place. Even if the weather turns bad enough that I'm not comfortable shooting, I don't want to feel like I should go running for shelter. 

Another big plus for me is the end pocket that will fit a small water bottle. I have a blood clotting condition and being careful to stay hydrated is an important consideration for preventing blood clots. I travel light when I'm out shooting and could fit a water bottle in the Billingham, but I always disliked putting it in the insert with my gear. 

The common complaint about this bag (that I agree with) is the lack of additional velcro to customize the dividers in the bag. There's just one that mostly cuts it in half. For me this really isn't a big problem because I only carry 3 lenses, one of which is on the camera. I just put the other two in pouches and toss them in one side of the bag together. I could see this as being a serious dealbreaker for people who carry more lenses than I do. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

While I almost never carry a bag on my person, I really like my Billingham Hadley Pro to stow gear and keep in my vehicle when traveling.  If I feel like doing some photography, I'll grab a camera, lens, and a spare battery.  The rest stays behind.  I may get the new Hadley Small Pro as a carry bag which has only just been released by Billingham and is, so far, hard to find for sale in the States as the US importer has not brought them in yet.   However, I hear KOH Camera can get them for about $240 shipped.

Edited by CSG

My first choice is a Billingham Hadley One in sage green and chocolate leather bits. Slightly bigger than the Pro!And of course Billingham sell shed loads of kit to customise the bag to ones hearts content.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Mike G

Just bought a Peak Design Everyday Messenger bag 13 to hold two X-T2's with lenses attached.  I bought this bag for my upcoming India trip.  I don't want to be changing lenses in a dusty environment.  I know for sure I'll be taking the 16-55mm lens, but as the second lens.... I'm thinking of 8-16mm when it's released or maybe the 50-140mm.

This might be of great interest for me, because I'm looking for a bag to carry two camera's with lenses on when I'm travelling. Do you intend to keep the lens hood on the lenses when they are in the bag?

Might be a funny question, but i use the lens hood as protection for the lens in and outside the bag. Never use lens caps, I always loose them.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have two "systems," so have two bags, both of which I love. I have a strong preference for messenger bags. 

The first is a Tenba Cooper 15 slim. Holds a 15" MacBook Pro with room to spare. I have an X-H1, a 16-55, a 50-140, and an EF-X500 flash. There's room for one more lens, maybe a 56 1.2 or a 16 1.4. The bag could hold two cameras with lenses attached if you're into that kind of pain. Possible to have one or two more lenses in there.There are numerous pockets for batteries, etc. If needed, the flash case (in its case) can be attached to the bags strap freeing up room for other stuff. I love the front flap, which secures with velcro rather than annoying buckles. With the right technique, the front flap can be opened silently, so the you avoid the dreaded tearing sound of hook and loop materials. It has a cool, removable carry handle, too. Well designed. The side pockets are expandable, which is nice. The internal compartment is removable, so the case can be used for non-photographic purposes, an overnight bag perhaps. 

My other is the Tenba Classic P211. This is a case that's been around since 1979, designed for photojournalists. I use it for an X-Pro 2, 16mm 1.4, 23mm 1.4, and either a 56 1.2 or a 90 2.0. Can hold two cameras with lenses attached, and one or two more lenses in the bottom. The flash fits in a horizontal compartment underneath the bag. All of this equipment fits easily. If you make end-to-end rear lens caps, you can store the 16 and 35 in one lens sleeve, allowing for four lenses. You can also put in a lens in the lower compartment. A smaller lens will fit with the flash. The bag will also hold a tablet like my iPad. This is NOT the bag for the 16-55 and 50-140. The bag, though well padded, is thin and light, which is what I really like about it. The only complaint that I have is there are no external side pockets. While this is frustrating, it does contribute to the bag's slim design and small footprint. There are zippered compartments in the lid and in the front of the bag. 

If you happen to be an educator, Tenba has edu discounts. I was able to get a substantial discount on the Cooper Slim. I bought the P-211 before I was aware of the discount. 

I'm a bag snob and have purchased dozens over the years. The two are among my three favorites. The other was a Tamrac I purchased 30 years ago for some 35mm gear (also a messenger style bag). 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Tommyboy

• 1 year later...

I just purchased the new XT-4. For the bag, I selected the Manfrotto Advanced II Gear Backpack for its medium size and ability to hold a laptop. I was previously considering the Canon backpack, as I had that previously for a DSLR. It was great and it had folds which helped deter water from entering the compartments. But the main downside is that it didn't hold a laptop. If not for that requirement, I would have selected the Canon Backpack again. Both are less expensive, doesn't scream camera bag, and they work.