My favorite camera bag is...

The problem with most shoulder bags is the flap, quite honestly.  If i am carrying a shoulder bag for shooting, having to turn the flap up and inwards gets a bit clunky.   One of the most practical camera bags i used to own was a Tamrac shoulder bag from the late 90s, which had a zipper on top and let you access the innards without needing to open up the flap.    

Another issue is that most bags these days are overpadded.    A good camera bag meant for day use should have the most padding on the underside, moderate padding on the other surfaces and relatively minimal padding between compartments.   That would make the bag smaller, lighter and also a little more unstructured, and so more likely to hold shape against the photographer's body.   Instead, we get these over-padded monstrosities that are absolutely overkill for day to day shooting.

I am yet to find a bag which combines the best of the above 2 features (and i am a bag ho - i think i have 20 camera bags of various sizes, mostly Lowepro and TT though.   Perhaps i need to branch out to some other brands).

The problem with most shoulder bags is the flap, quite honestly.  If i am carrying a shoulder bag for shooting, having to turn the flap up and inwards gets a bit clunky.   One of the most practical camera bags i used to own was a Tamrac shoulder bag from the late 90s, which had a zipper on top and let you access the innards without needing to open up the flap.    

Tenba Messenger bags have this feature.  I love it!

For camera specific bags i use only Acme Made, they used to make really high quality products and nice camera bags but as far i know they don't make them anymore, and that's kinda sad... i've got my grey Acme Made Montgomery Street Courier recently for only 15$ on Amazon because they are discontinued (new was like 70something), and the black Acme Made Messenger camera Bag for 50$ like 4 or 5 years ago, that bag has been tested and survived a lot with me so i can assure is good quality, i don't carry a lot of stuff, mainly Fuji X-Pro1 with 35mm 1.4 and extra lens, samsung tablet 4 8", otg adapter for sd, extra batteries, power bank, usb flash drives, sd cards, flashlight, some usb/audio cables and a yongnuo flash, in the gray bag instead of flash i carry a contigo mug full of hot coffee (instead of the tripod in the picture), perfect size for that btw, if you can get one of them for cheap as i did and if you don't carry lot's of gear to take walks around the city just with the right amount of things i really recommend them, for my Nikon system is another story i just use a Camo Herschel Supply Pop Quiz but this isn't a Nikon forum so... ;)

AM36471PWW.jpg

Acme%20Made%20Union%20Photo%20Messenger%

New camera bag for me. I replace a Billingham Hadley Pro with a ONA Brixton black nylon.

160423082115878256.jpg

160423082203423344.jpg

From left to right : Fuji X-T10 with Zeiss 12 f2.8 (Fuji XF 35 f2 below), Fuji X-T1 with XF 16-55 f2.8 (TC 1.4x below), XF 50-140. The computer in the large pocket is a Dell XPS13. In front pockets : iPad mini, spare batteries, flash, memory cards, filters, lenspen.

Edited by Pierre

For work I usually Roll with a Think Tank Airport Security 2 with a LowPro Urban Reporter 250 slid over the top. This holds all my cameras and lenses along with the usual flashes and batteries/cards etc...

I use my Ona Bowery [antique cognac] to hold my holdfast moneymaker. Once at the venue, the bowery is used to carry a couple of lenses/flashes and batteries/memory cards/business cards while two cameras are on the moneymaker.

I tried the canvas bowery but after one night my mind was made up. It's a dust magnet & really hard to clean so it's leather from now no. Loads of good comments and conversation starters about the bag and straps during the day.

Normal day to day, I can fit a small portrait kit in the bowery, Fuji camera, lens & a YN5603 flash with trigger and flash bracket [Manfrotto 026]. I can slide in a small elinchrom umbrella under the flap to, not perfect but close enough. That or just whatever, It's a great size for a few items as an extra carry bag,  Camera strapped around your shoulder and the bag on the other, set. Yes it's quite expensive but looks so good at weddings & when meeting clients, it's well worth the money.

Edited by kim

For daily use I use my Hadley Pro. I like this bag so much I bought two.

I also use a Hadley Digital for short trips when I don't want to carry too much.

For work I'll bring my Thinktank Streetwalker Pro. I have the Thinktank belt/pouch system for events and such and it attaches directly to that bag.

I was recently perminately loaned a Billingham 207. I am thinking to try at as a serious shooting trip bag.

I also have a retrospective 7 I hardly use anymore since getting my first hadley pro and a billingham 555 that's mainly a travel bag (I use it for clothes to be honest).

If I'm carrying a lot or traveling by plane. I have a f-stop rolling bag. It's international carry on size and just perfect for that purpose.

I have a few other bags for video stuff like a Gura gear backpack I forget the model off and some generic backpacks for lighting and such.

I've been using my Billingham Hadley Pro exclusively for almost 2 years now. Absolutely the perfect bag for me and I try to buy quality and stick with as few bags and other accessories as possible so that I can focus my finances on lenses and trips..... However, I do a lot of hiking and my wife finally told me that I really need to get a backpack that I trust with my gear as much as my Billingham because I look ridiculous and awkward carrying both a cheap daypack and my camera bag in the woods. She's asking me to buy more gear? No arguments here! Damn I love her! 

I didn't want to go with a backpack that is exclusively for photo gear, so I bought a Millican "Dave the Rucksack." Exactly what I was looking for. Is it for everyone? No, but if you live in an area where you can get your hands on one to try out I would highly recommend it.

I want to carry as little as possible.  The Hadley Pro is more than large enough for me and I like its looks and design concept.  For hiking, I'll tend to take a single camera and lens, very possibly a compact like my Lumix LX3.  When hiking, I want to carry stuff to keep me safe and comfortable, not camera gear.  I usually wear a Mountainsmith lumbar pack and carry a camera across my shoulder.   For photo walkabouts in town and similar, the Hadley Pro is perfect.

I am surprised no one mentioned Artisan and Artist and maybe it's the price. But looking at the price of some bags mentioned, I think not. The padding and dividers are very well made, and protective. You can remove the padded inner bag and use just the shell which is like a heavy duty canvas (like some Domkes) My favorite daily do it all Leica bag is - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1098915-REG/artisan_artist_aaacam1100blk_evans_walker_camera_bag.html

For combining my new X-T1 and Leica M-P 240 kits, I am seriously looking at this- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1098914-REG/artisan_artist_aaacam1000blk_image_smith_camera_bag.html/prm/alsVwDtl

They are well made, with an understated sophistication, and NO FLAP. I won't buy any bag that requires me to deal with a flap....or velcro. These bags mentioned have quite top access zippers and a very comfortable and well made shoulder strap plenty long enough for cross body wear....the only way I wear them. I have used Domke before and do not like how many of them are made. With poorly secured main storage areas and hand slicing clips, it makes no sense to me.

When I'm in places like Rome, Italy, I use my smaller Pacsafe sling. I can sling it to the front in crowds and with people waiting behind me, and even if I don't, they cannot get into it. Locking zippers, slash proof shell due to wire mesh throughout, and steel cable in the shoulder straps to defeat slash and run theft. The rotating buckles on the strap ends lock too.  The shoulder strap is much more comfortable, and better designed, and reinforced than the Lowepro slings, of which I have two (medium and small). http://www.pacsafe.com/camsafe-v9-anti-theft-camera-sling-pack.html

I have also used one of the Pac Safe skinny shoulder straps for small point and shoot cameras attached to a Black Rapids lug screwed into the tripod socket. I then attach the other end to a D ring on my camera bag, and it is also slash proof with steel cable, and locking buckle attachments. This way when I remove my camera from a bag in places like the Trevi Fountain, a camera snatcher is going to have a tough time separating me from my camera. One guy tried to steal my Pentax K5 while my wife and I were shooting each other in front of St. Peters. I made my move when he did and he ran off as a result.

Hope this helps. 

Edited by NWPhoto

I am surprised no one mentioned Artisan and Artist and maybe it's the price. But looking at the price of some bags mentioned, I think not. The padding and dividers are very well made, and protective. You can remove the padded inner bag and use just the shell which is like a heavy duty canvas (like some Domkes) My favorite daily do it all Leica bag is - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1098915-REG/artisan_artist_aaacam1100blk_evans_walker_camera_bag.html

For combining my new X-T1 and Leica M-P 240 kits, I am seriously looking at this- http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1098914-REG/artisan_artist_aaacam1000blk_image_smith_camera_bag.html/prm/alsVwDtl

They are well made, with an understated sophistication, and NO FLAP. I won't buy any bag that requires me to deal with a flap....or velcro. These bags mentioned have quite top access zippers and a very comfortable and well made shoulder strap plenty long enough for cross body wear....the only way I wear them. I have used Domke before and do not like how many of them are made. With poorly secured main storage areas and hand slicing clips, it makes no sense to me.

When I'm in places like Rome, Italy, I use my smaller Pacsafe sling. I can sling it to the front in crowds and with people waiting behind me, and even if I don't, they cannot get into it. Locking zippers, slash proof shell due to wire mesh throughout, and steel cable in the shoulder straps to defeat slash and run theft. The rotating buckles on the strap ends lock too.  The shoulder strap is much more comfortable, and better designed, and reinforced than the Lowepro slings, of which I have two (medium and small). http://www.pacsafe.com/camsafe-v9-anti-theft-camera-sling-pack.html

I have also used one of the Pac Safe skinny shoulder straps for small point and shoot cameras attached to a Black Rapids lug screwed into the tripod socket. I then attach the other end to a D ring on my camera bag, and it is also slash proof with steel cable, and locking buckle attachments. This way when I remove my camera from a bag in places like the Trevi Fountain, a camera snatcher is going to have a tough time separating me from my camera. One guy tried to steal my Pentax K5 while my wife and I were shooting each other in front of St. Peters. I made my move when he did and he ran off as a result.

Hope this helps. 

I like your choices and suggestions, particularly the Pac Safe stuff. I was concerned on a recent trip to Hong Kong and family always tell me there's a lot of pick pockets and thieves so you want to carry things close and up front when applicable, and anything important make sure you store secure and as internally as possible.

Was a little concerned, but I've been to HK a number of times already and never had an issue, though I always paid attention to my surroundings and exercised precaution... (knock on wood).

I was pretty certain my Wotancraft bag I had was secured.. even wrapped the strap metal hooks (I'm drawing a blank for the name, it's a sort of latch system to hook a strap to the bag) with duct tape so any fast hands wouldn't try to unlock the strap from the bag itself.. but, I thought about whether the canvas straps themselves would be enough to withstand a determined thief who has a really sharp knife?.

I'm glad you showed your link.. I like how the straps have steel cables to make it near impossible to cut through.

I like how "fashionable" my Wotancraft bags are, BUT, perhaps one of these items from Pac Safe will be purchased for when traveling abroad next time .. just to have the extra sense of security. I'd like to visit Europe with the wife and kid some day, but I also hear theft can be very high as well, France and Italy are 2 countries which I hear stories about.. I won't isolate those countries and just say pretty much any touristy destination is a prime location for thieves to hunt and take advantage of.

Thanks again.

... and I agree, I like messenger style or some sort of sling over shoulder bag, but a lot have flaps. it does get annoying to flip a big flap out of the way.. as long as there's a way around it like some have zippers you can access through the flap.. or at the very least a way to secure it out of the way when you know you'll probably going to go in and out of your bag more often than not.

Edited by Wing0949

I remember a couple from Washington State USA were waiting in Roma Termini for their train with bags of expensive photo gear. Some guy was encroaching upon their space in a way that made them feel uncomfortable. After a few minutes of this, they opted to wait outside Termini, and once outside, realized that one of their expensive lens was about to tumble out of a bag because of a nice razor cut. There are also incidents of thieves standing behind folks at crosswalks, and on busses and subways, slicing open their bags or unzipping them. I once shot some video in front of the Pantheon in Roma and later noticed in the video a woman walking by with a day pack. The entire upper rear compartment was unzipped and hanging open, and she was apparently oblivious to it. Probably lost an ipad or something pricey.  Pacsafe also sells steel mesh bags you can store laptop and camera bags inside of and then lock it via steel cable around something like a pipe or even a toilet....something that cannot be easily dismantled or removed. You can lock it to permanent structures inside trains too so you don't have to worry when going to the restroom or for a coffee.

I like your choices and suggestions, particularly the Pac Safe stuff. I was concerned on a recent trip to Hong Kong and family always tell me there's a lot of pick pockets and thieves so you want to carry things close and up front when applicable, and anything important make sure you store secure and as internally as possible.

Was a little concerned, but I've been to HK a number of times already and never had an issue, though I always paid attention to my surroundings and exercised precaution... (knock on wood).

I was pretty certain my Wotancraft bag I had was secured.. even wrapped the strap metal hooks (I'm drawing a blank for the name, it's a sort of latch system to hook a strap to the bag) with duct tape so any fast hands wouldn't try to unlock the strap from the bag itself.. but, I thought about whether the canvas straps themselves would be enough to withstand a determined thief who has a really sharp knife?.

I'm glad you showed your link.. I like how the straps have steel cables to make it near impossible to cut through.

I like how "fashionable" my Wotancraft bags are, BUT, perhaps one of these items from Pac Safe will be purchased for when traveling abroad next time .. just to have the extra sense of security. I'd like to visit Europe with the wife and kid some day, but I also hear theft can be very high as well, France and Italy are 2 countries which I hear stories about.. I won't isolate those countries and just say pretty much any touristy destination is a prime location for thieves to hunt and take advantage of.

Thanks again.

... and I agree, I like messenger style or some sort of sling over shoulder bag, but a lot have flaps. it does get annoying to flip a big flap out of the way.. as long as there's a way around it like some have zippers you can access through the flap.. or at the very least a way to secure it out of the way when you know you'll probably going to go in and out of your bag more often than not. 

The first image is one I take on travels around the world.  Sketchbooks and the X 100S. 

The others photos are for the bag I carry around here.  It only holds exactly what I want it to hold.  Nothing more.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I remember a couple from Washington State USA were waiting in Roma Termini for their train with bags of expensive photo gear. Some guy was encroaching upon their space in a way that made them feel uncomfortable. After a few minutes of this, they opted to wait outside Termini, and once outside, realized that one of their expensive lens was about to tumble out of a bag because of a nice razor cut. There are also incidents of thieves standing behind folks at crosswalks, and on busses and subways, slicing open their bags or unzipping them. I once shot some video in front of the Pantheon in Roma and later noticed in the video a woman walking by with a day pack. The entire upper rear compartment was unzipped and hanging open, and she was apparently oblivious to it. Probably lost an ipad or something pricey.  Pacsafe also sells steel mesh bags you can store laptop and camera bags inside of and then lock it via steel cable around something like a pipe or even a toilet....something that cannot be easily dismantled or removed. You can lock it to permanent structures inside trains too so you don't have to worry when going to the restroom or for a coffee.

Yes indeed. If there is a zipper on top of the flap, I appreciate that design.

I use a Lowepro Event Messenger 150. It looks a bit like a camera bag but not enough to make you think there's a Leica inside. Just the way I like it. It has foldaway Velcro tabs for optional noise-in-a-crowd based security.

I use a Lowepro Event Messenger 150. It looks a bit like a camera bag but not enough to make you think there's a Leica inside. Just the way I like it. It has foldaway Velcro tabs for optional noise-in-a-crowd based security.

I have that bag too, but my daily bag is its little brother, the Event Messenger 100. It's just right for me, doesn't look like it costs much (less desirable target), and is easy to use. I almost never have need for a bag that can carry more than my camera (X-E2S for now) with a wrist strap, an additional lens, and some small items like batteries, a lens pen, and memory cards. So the 100 is perfect. I almost never use the 150 nor my Transit Sling 250 AW -- both are just way too big for my needs.

Of course, I have idiosyncratic needs. I don't travel much at all, mostly doing solo photo walks within a few miles of my home. On any day I'll choose a prime and take one alternate prime or the 18-55mm in case I change my mind. What I shoot will depend on what I have. Usually just the prime I have on the camera when I walk out the door.

You guys that like the Event Messenger (I have the one that fits the 13" Laptop), take a look at the Urban Reporter.  That has become my favorite bag when I have the long lens on my T1 like at festivals and events.  Such a great bag.  I'm able to carry my long lens attached to my T1, with the 35 on my Pro1 and the 14 also in the bag.

I am a 190cm white guy who's lived in Hong Kong for about 16 years.

Hong Kong is a really safe city. I've never had any problems at all, maybe because I'm a big "scary" gwai lou (foreigner), I'm not sure.

There's pick pockets in some districts, I usually pull my billingham in front of me if I am in a crowd. I also will have earphones in my phone (I'll know if it gets stolen because it'll disconnect the sound) and I keep a hand on my wallet.

My wife had her phone stolen years ago and had someone try and razor blade open her bag once. But I've had no issues personally.

Edited by Stealthy Ninja

Where do I start! I have four, it depends what gear I am using and the weather:

1) Billingham Hadley with just the X100S/T and flash, or X-Pro1/X-T1 18~135 or 18~55 lens and no flash

2) Billingham L2 with X-Pro1/X-T1, 18~135 or 18~55 lens and i40 flash

3) ThinktankPhoto Urban disguise 40 with X-Pro1/X-T1,18~135 or 18~55 lens and i40 flash plus extra lenses  dry weather conditions

4) Billingham 107 with X-Pro1/X-T1,18~135 or 18~55 lens and i40 flash plus extra lenses wet weather conditions

• 2 weeks later...

Ideal feature to collect water inside the bag when it rains.

The recently passed away Dutch soccer champion Johan Cruyff was famous for phrases a bit like Yogi Berra’s ( who passed away one year before). He coined a phrase which is now commonplace in the Dutch idiom.

Every advantage has its disadvantage.

And yet, in nearly 20 years of photography, I have never managed to accumulate a swimming pool in my bag.     I do an immensely crazy thing called "close the zipper and put on the rain cover" when it rains, relying on the regular flap then.

Johan Cruyff also seems to be a master of stating the obvious.

• 2 months later...

Looking for a bag to carry an X Pro 2 with a couple of small primes ( 35 and 14mm) plus a couple of batteries. However it must be leather and smart. Years ago I had a lovely case for my Leica outfit, but cannot remember the name, something like " Bacco", and no, it wasn't a " Benser" I still have a Leica shoulder bag for the R3, but the fixed inserts just cannot be made to fit the Fuji, but it's so beautifully made I can't wheelie bin it, and who on earth uses R3 Leicas anymore.

Looking for a bag to carry an X Pro 2 with a couple of small primes ( 35 and 14mm) plus a couple of batteries. However it must be leather and smart. Years ago I had a lovely case for my Leica outfit, but cannot remember the name, something like " Bacco", and no, it wasn't a " Benser" I still have a Leica shoulder bag for the R3, but the fixed inserts just cannot be made to fit the Fuji, but it's so beautifully made I can't wheelie bin it, and who on earth uses R3 Leicas anymore.

Ona Bowery.  I typically carry both my Pro1 with the 35ƒ1.4, and a T1 with the 14 or 60 as well as an additional lens in that bag.  With plenty of room for batteries, cards, cleaning cloths, sunscreen, and a notebook.