My favorite camera bag is...

is there something like the domke f-803 but in leather? i like the relative small width and the size. but the design is a bit to bland for my taste.

Ona Bowery.  I have this bag and it holds me X-T1 with 35, as well as my 18-55 and my 55-200 plus batteries, extra cards, lens cloths etc...

It's also available in leather.

I've used a Biliingham Hadley Pro for my kit for a few years, and it still looks like new. I always have the following in it:

• X-T1 body
  • X100
  • 35mm f1.4
  • 18mm f2
  • 55-200mm zoom
  • 7.5mm Samyang fisheye
  • EF-20 flash
  • 3 spare X-T1 batteries, 3 spare X100 batteries
  • A few spare SD cards
  • Cleaning kit
  • MCEX-16 extension ring
  • Spare Arca Swiss plate

If I need computing power too I can also fit in an iPad mini in the rear zip compartment and a MacBook Air 11" in the gap at the back of the main bag. When I want to carry Lee 7five filters I clip an Avea 5 bag on the end. 

The Billingham bags are phenomenal.

Trying to pick a new bag for my X-T1. My Kelly Moore Thirst Relief bag is falling apart and also a little too big for a mirrorless system, I think. I currently only have the X-T1 and a 35mm F1.4 but I plan on having a 16 and 56 as part of this kit as well so something that fits this comfortably. Some of the contenders are the Ona Prince Street if I want to go expensive or the Thinktank Mirrorless Mover 30i if I want to go cheap.

But...I'd like to look for a high quality bag from another maker. I looked at smaller companies like Wotancraft as well. There are tons of bags from small shops in Europe and Japan that look great but I haven't found one that looks and fits the way I want yet.

Have you looked at the Millican bags? There is a model that has Fuji branding:

http://www.homeofmillican.com/christopher-the-camera-bag.html

I don't have one myself (I use a Billingham Hadley Pro) but I've handled one in a shop and it seems really good quality. If I lost my bag I'd consider one.

Ian.

--

I have two camera bags :

ONA The Berlin II in black. I put X-T1 + 16-55 + 50-140 + iPad mini + many accessories in it. My everyday bag.

150613071754439279.jpg

Bilingham Hadley Pro Burgundy. I put my X-T1 + 16-55 + 50-140 + iPad mini + Dell XPS 13 + chargers + flash + many many accessories in it. It's my travel bag.

150624074614927442.jpg

Billingham Hadley Large for me, and a Lowepro Pro Roller X200 for big jobs.
The Billingham fits:
A Mamiya RZ67 Pro II D medium format body, three backs and two portrait lenses.
A Canon 1D X, one spare battery, three portrait lenses, two flashguns and a trigger.
A Canon 7D mark II, three spare batteries, one wildlife lens, a thermos of tea and a sandwich.
A Fuji X-T1, an X-T10 and an X100S, one spare battery for each, general purpose three lens set, two flashguns and a trigger.
In addition to any of the above, one pocket always has general cleaning tools, a ColourChecker Passport, spare AA and AAA batteries, spare memory cards and a couple of varieties of USB and FireWire cable.

The Lowepro is for when I want to take two sets of those kits (e.g. Mamiya + Fuji) as well as either up to six flashguns or two continuous lights, or if I'm spending one night away. (More than one night does require packing a second bag, you can't fit a decent suitcase worth of clothes into the Lowepro.)

I will say that, though the Hadley Large does a good job of holding any of my typical kits, it's not exactly comfortable to carry. The shoulder pad—which they have the nerve to not include as standard—is still really rigid and the bag doesn't hang in a way which is comfortable. Nothing else will fit everything, though! The Mamiya's what really does it. Just too damn big and too square to fit in anything else. When Fuji release a 70mm f/2 and a body with a resolution over 30mp, I can finally sell that monster and get a smaller bag, properly downsize. Doesn't look like that will be for many years, though.

I had a Retrospective 7 but I found it too stiff.  Right now I'm using a TT Mirrorless Mover 30i, and it fits what I need, but I don't really like shoulder bags, so I'm still looking.  I'm torn between the fstop Brooklyn sling and the TT Turnstyle 5 or 10.  The 5 would fit my current kit (XT1, 18-55, and 55-200) but next year I plan on adding the 100-400 and the 120 macro (if I can find the $), and I'm a bit concerned the 5 won't be big enough.  I dont' live anywhere to see the bags before buying online, so I'm reliant on you tube reviews and advice from others. 

Does anyone have experience with either of these bags?  

I picked up the Tenba Messenger Mini.  Holds my Xt1 with three lenses (18-55, 55-200, and open space for the 100-400 when it appears :) ) and all my other equipment (including extension tubes) along with my 11" Mac Book Air, mouse and charger.  This allows me to carry all I need in one compact case.  What I enjoy the most is the direct access to camera through the zipper on the top, much easier than having to open the entire bag to get to the camera.

I prefer to have a lighter every day bag and use a camera bag only when traveling abroad.

In that respect my go to bag a cheap innocent looking Fossil Wagner Mens City Bag. It's small enough but I can still carry with me:

- X-T1

- 27mm F2.8

- 35mm F1.4

- 18-135mm F3.5-5.6

- 3 batteries + Traveler friendly charger with micro USB cable

- BlackRapid Metro strap

- A pocket WiFi (turns 3g into WiFi for non 3G devices)

- Nexus 7 2013 ed.

- Kindle Paperwhite

- 30cm x 30cm micro fiber cleaning cloth

- Lens cleaning kit (cloth, brush, small bottle of cleaning liquid)

- Couple of pens

- A small 20L foldable bag for just in case I would need to do groceries

Had to steal some of the paddings from my camera bag but I am quite happy with this set-up at the moment.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

I've sort of come to the conclusion, after extensive research...that there is no better camera bag for me than the Ona Prince Street. And I'm sort of disappointed because I don't really want to buy it. Don't get me wrong...I really want one because they're great bags but it's expensive and it still isn't the "perfect" bag. There aren't very many bells and whistles and did I mention it's expensive?

This is because I can't find another camera bag in that size, that looks that good, and is built from the ground up as a camera bag. I've looked a few others like Wotancraft, Zkin, Copper River, etc but most of them are more expensive (I can get Ona's with my employee discount, actually...and being Canadian, the 1:1.3 to the US dollar doesn't help).

The Prince Street is my ideal size at 12x10x4.5 and unlike a lot of other bags I looked at, they aren't just pretty bags with a camera insert in them. They're made to be camera bags. This disqualified a lot of brands like Copper River, Artisan and Artist, and lots more. Wotancraft makes some of the best quality inserts I've seen but since the Scout is $299, I might as well get a Ona Prince Street in dark truffle since it's pretty much the same price.

Dammit...I wanted to buy something more unique but I just can't find a better bag than the Ona. Seriously, I've looked everywhere. Oberwerth is twice as expensive and not as good looking, for example.

I picked up the Tenba Messenger Mini for my xt1 and love it.  I believe what I like best about it is the zipper on top that allows me direct access to camera and lenses from the top of the bag without having to pull over flaps or dig to get to my gear.  I carry the xt1, XF 10-24, XF 18-55, and XF 55-200 along with my 11" Mac-book Air in the bag plus accessories for all the above without a problem.  

I can go anywhere and have all my gear and laptop available in one small package that is light weight and easily portable.  It does everything I need it to do.  It's not as pretty or fancy as some of the expensive bags I've seen, but it gets the job done better than any bag I have ever used.

I've sort of come to the conclusion, after extensive research...that there is no better camera bag for me than the Ona Prince Street. And I'm sort of disappointed because I don't really want to buy it. Don't get me wrong...I really want one because they're great bags but it's expensive and it still isn't the "perfect" bag. There aren't very many bells and whistles and did I mention it's expensive?

This is because I can't find another camera bag in that size, that looks that good, and is built from the ground up as a camera bag. I've looked a few others like Wotancraft, Zkin, Copper River, etc but most of them are more expensive (I can get Ona's with my employee discount, actually...and being Canadian, the 1:1.3 to the US dollar doesn't help).

The Prince Street is my ideal size at 12x10x4.5 and unlike a lot of other bags I looked at, they aren't just pretty bags with a camera insert in them. They're made to be camera bags. This disqualified a lot of brands like Copper River, Artisan and Artist, and lots more. Wotancraft makes some of the best quality inserts I've seen but since the Scout is $299, I might as well get a Ona Prince Street in dark truffle since it's pretty much the same price.

Dammit...I wanted to buy something more unique but I just can't find a better bag than the Ona. Seriously, I've looked everywhere. Oberwerth is twice as expensive and not as good looking, for example.

I bought my Bowery when they had a sale.  If you don't want the Leather Prince you can snag the Waxed Canvas at a great price during one of their sales.  However if I could get a discount, I'd probably have several already.  I'm hung up on the Brixton right now myself just because I think it'll be awesome to have a bag that my laptop can go in instead of my Timbuk2 with an insert.  I also know a photographer that has the Brooklyn that she uses at all her weddings and loves it.  She's had like 7 years of hard use on that bag (trust me she isn't gentle) and it just gets better.

They are expensive, but in my opinion, they are worth every stinking penny you spend on them.  I love my Bowery.  Perfect street bag and would be a great lens bag for a wedding photographer in my opinion.

Had a look yet at the newest from Peak Design ?

Yes it's a Kickstarter but it's not the company's first one and they have always delivered so far. So kinda good on that side.

Plus the bag does look nice, I like the tan version, and does a few things right to me.

Yes, I was so close to backing and they would have my money already if the bag was closer to 14" rather than 17-18.

That bag is designed with DSLRs in mind and after 10 years of carrying heavy ass DSLR gear around, I want a much more portable system and the Prince Street is the correct size. It also has a lot to do with depth and width. It's 4.5" thick while most camera messengers are between 5-7". Walking around with something nearly flat against your back is a lot more convenient and comfortable. I want it to fit a mirrorless system, not a DSLR.

In truth, if you look up Tenba P211 Classic, that's actually my ideal camera bag because it fits mirrorless and has a cool compartment on the bottom for lenses. Why hasn't anyone else done this? It just seems like a much more efficient use of space. Even the Peak Design bag recognizes that we're wasting space in bags on top of our stuff. Problem with that bag is...it's so damned ugly.  :lol:

I bought my Bowery when they had a sale.  If you don't want the Leather Prince you can snag the Waxed Canvas at a great price during one of their sales.  However if I could get a discount, I'd probably have several already.  I'm hung up on the Brixton right now myself just because I think it'll be awesome to have a bag that my laptop can go in instead of my Timbuk2 with an insert.  I also know a photographer that has the Berlin that she uses at all her weddings and loves it.  She's had like 7 years of hard use on that bag (trust me she isn't gentle) and it just gets better.

They are expensive, but in my opinion, they are worth every stinking penny you spend on them.  I love my Bowery.  Perfect street bag and would be a great lens bag for a wedding photographer in my opinion.

Oh the problem isn't the leather. If I'm buying an Ona bag, it will be the leather rather than the canvas. If you're spending $300, you might as well spend $400.

The problem is the Prince Street still isn't "perfect" but I can't find anything better that fits my exact specs.

Yes, I was so close to backing and they would have my money already if the bag was closer to 14" rather than 17-18.

That bag is designed with DSLRs in mind and after 10 years of carrying heavy ass DSLR gear around, I want a much more portable system and the Prince Street is the correct size. It also has a lot to do with depth and width. It's 4.5" thick while most camera messengers are between 5-7". Walking around with something nearly flat against your back is a lot more convenient and comfortable. I want it to fit a mirrorless system, not a DSLR.

In truth, if you look up Tenba P211 Classic, that's actually my ideal camera bag because it fits mirrorless and has a cool compartment on the bottom for lenses. Why hasn't anyone else done this? It just seems like a much more efficient use of space. Even the Peak Design bag recognizes that we're wasting space in bags on top of our stuff. Problem with that bag is...it's so damned ugly.  :lol:

I rather like the Peak Design style, at least is uncommon enough to not be targeted as a camera bag at first glance.

But have you taken a look at Vanguard ? Their Up Rise series is rather nice, I have an older version of the Up Rise 33 and I lost the shoulder strap during a trip to Asia, contacted their support to find out where I could buy a new one again and to my surprise they offered me it to me free of everything and shipped it to my home.

I know it doesn't cost them much, but they have earned my respect with that move.

Also, there is also the old and venerable Billingham, the Hadley Pro or Hadley Large should both fit your needs.

I like the Peak Design too. If they made a smaller one, it would be awesome and probably at a great price point too.

Vanguard still looks too camera bag. Co-worker actually has that Up Rise bag. Even the smallest one is pretty big and they're also bags with inserts, albeit quite a nice insert.

I dislike the look of Billingham. I looked at the Hadley Pro but not a fan. I'd rather buy a Prince Street than any Billingham.

[...]I dislike the look of Billingham. I looked at the Hadley Pro but not a fan. I'd rather buy a Prince Street than any Billingham.

I can understand the dislike for the look of them, but I have had my 335 for almost a decade now, and while I do take care of it, it is still the most pratical camera bag, there a lot of small details that are done just right, like it won't turn on itself if you move gear around, the waterproofing is nice and trustworthy too. Got caught under a tropical downpoor in Thailand a few years ago and the bag kept all the things inside pretty dry considering the amount of water we got.

With the Fuji gear, I can pack my gear and still have enough room for my ultrabook and 3 days of clothings easily. Still my favorite bag if I have to travel for long distance for a short time.

Last resort I have for you, is t steal over some inserts and use a smaller man bag and slightly convert it toward your everyday camera bag, akin to what I did with that Fossil bag.

My favourite camera bag for my Fuji X system currently is the Billingham Hadley small Black/Tan.

I only recently acquired it and tested in on both a 2 day city trip to Paris and a 5 day holiday inside the Alsace region of France.

So far i am very satisfied with this bag as it is able to carry all the Fuji gear i currently need to walk around. 

The gear which it carry's for me is the following;

- Fuji X-T1 Graphite body with any of the 3 lenses i have mounted depending on the situation.

- Fujinon XF 14mm lens

- Fujinon XF 23mm lens

- Fujinon XF 55-200mm lens

- Fuji Remote RR-90

- Manfrotto Pixi tripod

- Extra 2 battery's

- Extra SD-cards

- Wallet, keys, pen, ...

So conclusion, for being such a beautiful small bag it is super practical and can fit a bunch of equipment.

Highly recommended.

I have a small kit so I wanted a small and sleek bag.  I don't like how deep most camera bags are, I like my bag to be as thin as possible.  So I roll with a Timbuk2 x-small classic messenger.  I know its not a camera bag but works really well for me.  I bought a piece of foam to put in the bottom to protect when setting on the ground but otherwise there are no inserts.  Since I only carry two lenses, I have a lens pouch inside where the extra lens lives.  There is a netted pocket on the inside that holds my mini tripod secure and plenty of zipper pockets for extra batteries and memory cards.  This works extremely well for my needs!

I'm trying to save up for the ONA Prince Street: http://www.onabags.com/store/messenger-bags/the-prince-street.html?color=field-tan

Would love the leather but might have to settle for the waxed field tan.

I've been using an ONA Prince Street for a couple of months now and I'm crazy about it.  

XT-1 or XE-2 with 18-55 or 18-135, also 35 f1.4, 55-200 lenses;  Nissin i-40 flash and lots of miscellaneous stuff.  

Good looking bag, very well made, extremely well padded,  fairly inconspicuous and very comfortable to wear/carry.

I have probably dozens of bags sitting around, in corners, in closets, in the basement, etc, and I haven't found anything that  fits my small Fuji mirrorless systems as well as does the Ona Prince Street.

The Brixton by OnaBags in Leather Cognac variant - really amazing bag. It holds XT1 + 35 + 56 + 10-24 + 5D3 + 35L + 85 + flash + tons of batteries and memory cards, Instax printer with spare magazines ... 

• 4 weeks later...

I'll throw in a vote for the CosySpeed Camslinger 160 for carrying around a small kit.  I can fit my X100T plus the WCL adapter and a few memory cards and batteries in mine.  I won this bag from a giveaway mentioned by Fuji Rumours last year, and didn't expect to like it at all.  After using it for a couple days, it has now become my go-to camera bag.  I like the fact that it sits on your waist, instead of hanging on your shoulders.  I can carry it much longer than a shoulder bag.  And it is pretty compact, so it is easy to hide if you're trying to keep a low profile on the street or somewhere else.

They are also doing a crowd funding campaign to make a new version of the bag, with a slightly larger main pocket and a couple external side pockets.  I think I'll probably jump on the black one, as its even more discrete than my gray one.  The bag I have is really high quality and can take a lot of wear and tear without showing it.

Here is the link to their campaign for the new bag.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/camslinger-streetomatic-street-photography-bag#/story

My kids gave me a Think Tank Retrospective 5 based on my wish list. Very nice bag, but now I wish I had wished for a Retro 7. The 5 is too small for my XPro-1 and four lenses. I also carry a EH20 in case I need a little fill. I am going to trade up. Basically, my camera never goes into the bag now. I keep the 18-55 zoom on it as it is my default lens.  And since I'm geeking it out here, my other lenses are the 14, 60 & 90.  All great lenses, but I sometimes wonder if the 60 is necessary. I do like to shoot macro though ... 

I also use a Everest Messenger Bag to carry a couple of flashes, flashpoint blast packs, cables, chargers, tabletop tripod, etc.  Good value: http://www.ebags.com/product/everest/large-cotton-messenger-bag/207663?productid=10119299  Image below is the Everest bag in the background. Olive canvas pairs well with the Retro 5 bag. 

Hey Jimphotos - where do you park your car?  ;)