My favorite camera bag is...

I have many camera bags. From 3 Billingham's, 3 Think tanks and numerous backpacks. I just can't seem to find the one I Like. everyone has good and bad. But this is what I have learned so far.

1) I like the bag to be stylish. If I like the looks I will be happier with it and also grab it more often.

2) Protected from the elements. Rain or snow. I don't want to baby the bag or worry about it.

3) slightly larger than what I need. I like taking a 3 lens setup when walking around most of the time. 3 primes, 3 zooms, or a combination of. Room for accessories. I don't like things to tight that I have to struggle getting in and out of the bag. Or have to pack in a certain way in order to fit.

4) Confortable and not to heavy. The lighter the bag the easier to carry.

5) *Have a spot for a water bottle. This one has become a big must for me. I find when spending a day or half a day shooting I always end up getting a bootle of water and never having anywhere to put it. I don't want to hold it my hands as I want to shoot. Placing it in my bag during the summer forms condensation or can wet the inside. This one I find more and more of a must. 

Just my two cents worth to consider when looking for a bag.

Edited by bigdaddy185

I use a Think Tank Retrospective 7. It can comfortably fit my X-T1 with a lens mounted, an extra lens, a speedlight, my Instax, and whatever accessories you'd need with those with room to spare. There's definitely room for another lens in there, but I've been having trouble finding more versatile dividers for the bag, so I've got a couple compartments with a lot more empty space than there should be. Currently looking for a divider that's only velcro'd on one side, so I can use the flap between one lens stacked on another.

17301573905_a0077e98d1_c.jpgPacked bag by philbabbey, on Flickr

17114020030_2969dfae52_c.jpgContents by philbabbey, on Flickr

I'm new to the mirrorless world and the X-T2 will be my first venue with Fuji...do you think this bag will fit the X-T2 with grip attached? I plan on keeping the grip on most of the time.

• 1 month later...

My ultra portable solution - a Domke F5XB. It just about fits the following:

X-T2, with 35mm 1.4 mounted (with hood on)

90mm f2 with third party short hood mounted

18-55 (couldn't squeeze a hood onto this one)

Plus a couple of batteries, lens pen, wipes and microfibre cloth etc. It is pretty snug at the point to say the least but works! 

2zegnpv.jpg

xlayva.jpg

I do need a bigger bag for times when I need to carry more, but I'm a bit obsessed with carrying the smallest camera bag I can get away with!  I recently bought a Tenba DNA 8, which has more pockets etc than the Domke, but I didn't get on with it as the flap doesn't fold behind the bag when open, which I find extremely annoying. My fault though -  should have researched this more when I ordered it.

Edited by Gareth_E

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my favorite setup. I have found, after trying out most bag versions over the years, that there is no perfect setup. It's not even fair to try. The best we can hope for is a bag that helps us feel some relief as we manage a portfolio of tradeoffs around what we want and what we need. it helps if it has some style to it, at least for professional work that requires moving in an out of a variety of offices and meetings over a week.

The best quality bags I've found are ThinkTank and Ona. Others are good, too, but even some of the really expensive bags out there have frustrating inserts, or stiffness in the bag, that makes them hard to work out of. For those who use their bags to transport their equipment from one table top to another, I think there is a larger selection of bags that check most of the boxes you need. But if you're going to be working out of a bag for longer stretches, there are just a lot fewer options where the tradeoffs don't become overwhelming pretty fast.

I don't carry around a bunch of loose lenses. I almost never change them when shooting out of a walking bag, and I've found that the best way to get the benefit of multiple lenses is by keeping them mounted on multiple bodies. For all my professional work, I use two XT2 bodies (XT1 before that) and then I have a "third body" for a third lens, or that I use in terrible weather (never want to chance it with the main bodies if I can avoid it). My third body, right now, is an XT1 that also serves as a very small "cocktail camera" when I need it to be as unintrusive as possible.

I keep the 23mm on a body almost always, and then either the 56mm or the 90mm fuji lenses on the other. If it's during the day, I generally have the 90mm on it as it's a great tradeoff for size against the 135mm equivalent reach. I found I'd be called in to shoot a protest or a fire scene or etc, and I'd want to keep some distance. With fires, you never know the fumes present in the smoke. The three fuji bodies don't get too heavy for me, but I could never do this when I had the big DSLR rig going.

My daily carry setup is one of two Ona bags. I have the Bowery in canvas (leather does start to get too heavy with that bag) for days when I need all three bodies on me, plus a laptop or tablet. And when I only need one or two bodies and no computer, I use a leather bowery bag.

I find both bags to be outstanding in terms of both function and style. I can wear them with a tux or with jeans--in a boardroom or on a loading dock--and never have to think about it. All in all, I love this setup and it is, by far, the most productive set up I've worked with in my career. I can wear either of these bags, loaded with my equipment, all day long with only minor complaints about strain after even a long day of constant wear. I love the large pockets on the front of the ONA bags--they're among my favorite "front pockets" in the business. I only wish they had some sort of locking mechanism for slightly improved security when traveling.

Cell phone pics, but you get the idea.

F5ivkxz.jpg

n1UoPZ9.jpg

nysxfxu.jpg

stweOMQ.jpg

Wlr2ffW.jpg

Edited for spelling.

Edited by JackParrish

• 1 month later...

Here's my favorite setup. I have found, after trying out most bag versions over the years, that there is no perfect setup. It's not even fair to try. The best we can hope for is a bag that helps us feel some relief as we manage a portfolio of tradeoffs around what we want and what we need. it helps if it has some style to it, at least for professional work that requires moving in an out of a variety of offices and meetings over a week.

The best quality bags I've found are ThinkTank and Ona. Others are good, too, but even some of the really expensive bags out there have frustrating inserts, or stiffness in the bag, that makes them hard to work out of. For those who use their bags to transport their equipment from one table top to another, I think there is a larger selection of bags that check most of the boxes you need. But if you're going to be working out of a bag for longer stretches, there are just a lot fewer options where the tradeoffs don't become overwhelming pretty fast.

I don't carry around a bunch of loose lenses. I almost never change them when shooting out of a walking bag, and I've found that the best way to get the benefit of multiple lenses is by keeping them mounted on multiple bodies. For all my professional work, I use two XT2 bodies (XT1 before that) and then I have a "third body" for a third lens, or that I use in terrible weather (never want to chance it with the main bodies if I can avoid it). My third body, right now, is an XT1 that also serves as a very small "cocktail camera" when I need it to be as unintrusive as possible.

I keep the 23mm on a body almost always, and then either the 56mm or the 90mm fuji lenses on the other. If it's during the day, I generally have the 90mm on it as it's a great tradeoff for size against the 135mm equivalent reach. I found I'd be called in to shoot a protest or a fire scene or etc, and I'd want to keep some distance. With fires, you never know the fumes present in the smoke. The three fuji bodies don't get too heavy for me, but I could never do this when I had the big DSLR rig going.

My daily carry setup is one of two Ona bags. I have the Bowery in canvas (leather does start to get too heavy with that bag) for days when I need all three bodies on me, plus a laptop or tablet. And when I only need one or two bodies and no computer, I use a leather bowery bag.

I find both bags to be outstanding in terms of both function and style. I can wear them with a tux or with jeans--in a boardroom or on a loading dock--and never have to think about it. All in all, I love this setup and it is, by far, the most productive set up I've worked with in my career. I can wear either of these bags, loaded with my equipment, all day long with only minor complaints about strain after even a long day of constant wear. I love the large pockets on the front of the ONA bags--they're among my favorite "front pockets" in the business. I only wish they had some sort of locking mechanism for slightly improved security when traveling.

Cell phone pics, but you get the idea.

F5ivkxz.jpg

n1UoPZ9.jpg

nysxfxu.jpg

stweOMQ.jpg

Wlr2ffW.jpg

Edited for spelling.

Hi jack .. the black ona bag . Are you sure is the bowery. It's look more like a prince or union street bag ??

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the mirrorless world and the X-T2 will be my first venue with Fuji...do you think this bag will fit the X-T2 with grip attached? I plan on keeping the grip on most of the time.

Even the smaller Retrospective 5 can hold an xt with grip and an extra lens easily.

• 3 weeks later...

I now own four ONA Bags :

ONA The Bowery black leather : X-T2 + 16-55 f2.8 + 35f 1.4 (Day bag)

ONA The Berlin black leather : X-T2  + 16-55 f2.8 + 90 f2 + 35 f1.4 (Short trip bag)

ONA Prince Street black leather : X-T2 + 16-55 f2.8 + 90 f2 + 10-24 f4 + Tablet (Short trip bag)

ONA Brixton nylon black : X-T2 + 16-55 f2.8 + 90 f2 + 35 f1.4 + 10-24 f4 + 13" laptop (Travel bag)

Edited by Pierre

• 4 weeks later...

I have 2 very cheap and cheerful bags which I use regularly..

Dorr motion system photo bag - holds my XT1 with 16-50 lens, hood reversed, and 35mm f2 or 18mm f2 and 2 batteries

Ultra cheap canvas shoulder bag, satchel type with padded compartments which holds xt1, 4 lenses, 3 batteries, 2 chargers and usual bits

Now looking to buy a nice shoulder/satchel/messenger type bag which fits the class of the XT-1, some very nice bags on this thread

I currently have 2 bags:

In town walk around:

Billingham Hadley Small: 1 body + 2 lenses

14462494272_1293f9ccf9_z.jpgFuji Lineup 2 by Nick, on Flickr

Travelling overseas:

Normal vintage canvas messenger bag, plus camera inserts: 1 body + 3 lenses

14277213289_a7fdd84627_z.jpgMan's stuff 6 by Nick, on Flickr

And i am buying Ona Prince Street in smoke canvas next!!

Just because that bag is so damn sexy!

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me whether an XT-1 with Long Eyecup, and with 18-55 lens complete with lens hood attached, will fit lens down in an Apache 2 bag?  Specified measurements suggest it may be problematic.  I am considering both the Apache 2 and 4, but with advancing years the latter is bigger than I would like to carry everyday while walking around cities on holidays.

Hi

The short answer is yes  i have just tried it, fits ok  with lenshood mounted

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

One of the most commonly cited reasons for people loving Fuji's offerings is the compact size and light weight of the bodies/lenses. And so it's interesting to me to see how many folks seem to like loading 'everything except the kitchen sink' into their bags. Personally, I'll sometimes carry my Think Tank Retrospective 5, but more often than not it's just my X100T or X-Pro/27mm in my hand and spare battery in my pocket. Then again, I shoot mainly street. I guess my approach is unlikely to work for pro wedding photographer.

• 2 weeks later...

For a low cost option, I have just picked up an AmazonBasics Medium DSLR Gadet bag. I was looking for something small to carry a X-T20 with 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200. It holds this kit well and is deep enough to fit the body with 55-200 attached. It seems reasonably well made and is a ridiculous deal at $18.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002ZB8LOE/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1489308916&sr=1-3&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Cullmann

This is my everyday bag. Its size is perfect for a body plus three lenses or a body, two lenses and a x100. The concept is very similar to the famous domke f5xb, but the cullmann has a rear zipped pocket that is a perfect fit for the mobile Phone without opening the velcros every time.

I'm looking for a bag very similar to the Cullmann but with a zipper in the camera and lenses compartments. I don't like to show everybody what's in my bag every time I open it to take the keys, the wallet when buying or such things.

Maybe I will find that perfect bag!

(sorry for my english!)

Enviat des del meu LG-H815 usant Tapatalk

I've sort of come to the conclusion, after extensive research...that there is no better camera bag for me than the Ona Prince Street. And I'm sort of disappointed because I don't really want to buy it. Don't get me wrong...I really want one because they're great bags but it's expensive and it still isn't the "perfect" bag. There aren't very many bells and whistles and did I mention it's expensive?

This is because I can't find another camera bag in that size, that looks that good, and is built from the ground up as a camera bag. I've looked a few others like Wotancraft, Zkin, Copper River, etc but most of them are more expensive (I can get Ona's with my employee discount, actually...and being Canadian, the 1:1.3 to the US dollar doesn't help).

The Prince Street is my ideal size at 12x10x4.5 and unlike a lot of other bags I looked at, they aren't just pretty bags with a camera insert in them. They're made to be camera bags. This disqualified a lot of brands like Copper River, Artisan and Artist, and lots more. Wotancraft makes some of the best quality inserts I've seen but since the Scout is $299, I might as well get a Ona Prince Street in dark truffle since it's pretty much the same price.

Dammit...I wanted to buy something more unique but I just can't find a better bag than the Ona. Seriously, I've looked everywhere. Oberwerth is twice as expensive and not as good looking, for example.

I have the ONA Brixton, and I use it for both work trips carrying the XP2 with up to 4 lenses (mostly only the 14/2.8 23/1.4 (attached) and sometimes the 56/1.2 though).

It is a really good bag and my SP3 with keyboard and charger also goes in there with spare batteries, headphones and assorted gubbins. It's more or less the perfect size for me, although I think I could make the price street work too. However, no matter how gorgeous the leather looks (and it is!) I wish I'd bought the waxed canvas version as the leather is HEAVY!

If I'm not travelling I'll tend to just sling the body with the 23/1.4 or else I'll grab my ONA Roma that I've had some D rings stitched to the outside of - which gets pretty much the same stuff in it.

If I'm using my big zoom 50-140/2.8 with the T/C I'll use my Timbuk2 medium messenger bag with the small camera insert thrown in (sadly no longer available) where my long lens kit (XP2 grip, 50-140, T/C, tripod collar, assorted attachment plates, more batteries...) live permanently.

• 3 weeks later...

I've sort of come to the conclusion, after extensive research...that there is no better camera bag for me than the Ona Prince Street. And I'm sort of disappointed because I don't really want to buy it. Don't get me wrong...I really want one because they're great bags but it's expensive and it still isn't the "perfect" bag. There aren't very many bells and whistles and did I mention it's expensive?

This is because I can't find another camera bag in that size, that looks that good, and is built from the ground up as a camera bag. I've looked a few others like Wotancraft, Zkin, Copper River, etc but most of them are more expensive (I can get Ona's with my employee discount, actually...and being Canadian, the 1:1.3 to the US dollar doesn't help).

The Prince Street is my ideal size at 12x10x4.5 and unlike a lot of other bags I looked at, they aren't just pretty bags with a camera insert in them. They're made to be camera bags. This disqualified a lot of brands like Copper River, Artisan and Artist, and lots more. Wotancraft makes some of the best quality inserts I've seen but since the Scout is $299, I might as well get a Ona Prince Street in dark truffle since it's pretty much the same price.

Dammit...I wanted to buy something more unique but I just can't find a better bag than the Ona. Seriously, I've looked everywhere. Oberwerth is twice as expensive and not as good looking, for example.

The Ona Prince at Henry's is  $489. http://www.henrys.com/96917-ONA-THE-PRINCE-STREET-LEATHER-DARK-TRUFFLE.aspx as apposed to the  $1,000 on Amazon.ca that you linked too. I hope this helps.

Edited by bigdaddy185

I still use my old LowePro Nova 4 bag. Over ten years old now, but it is still going strong. And I'd rather put my money in lenses or cameras than in a shiny new camera bag.

I've been tempted though, especially by the leather and canvas bags, but cannot justify the cost ;)

Edited by johant

• 1 month later...

Wow, thanks for you sharing. All the bags those shown on this forum are beautiful. But my favorite camera bag is Bestek camera bag. Friend recommends it to me in three months ago, I have bought a black one. It is made of canvas, easy to proof water. The most important thing is that it is much cheaper. Have a nice day. 

I have bought the same Bestek bag ( comes under many brands and in several sizes I had a large one and still was too small for me because I hate piling up lenses and bodies)  and the bag came from China folded inside its insert (interesting shipping method) which was in a black plastic bag.

moacc-camera-bag-622x332.jpg

It is as cheap as chips and nice looking on pictures, a bit less from close up.

I've used it for a couple of weeks and sold it, locally, for the price that I paid ( I think that I still have a couple of dividers that i forgot to give the buyer).

It is not that I want to dis this bag, but is really (for me) very very flimsy. You can find the same bag in more expensive versions on the market but I was disappointed.

The reason why I bought the bag above ( yes, the Jack by Jill.E costs 5 times as much or more than the Bestek) is not only durability and manufacture quality but also the fact that you can use this bag to go on holiday and pack it full of everything that you need, photographically and tourist wise.

I also have a soft bag by Crumpler where I put  an insert inside or not and carry a body and two lenses as absolute minimum for holiday which don’t require me taking much.

ddm-m-013_front_2.jpg

I paid peanuts for this Crumpler and I would recommend it for short trips , with a cheap insert it certainly works wonders even with a lot of equipment

Edited by milandro

I have just received a brand new sparkly Billingham Hadley 1, in Sage green fibrenyte/chocolate leather, a new design by Billingham in the Hadley range! Seems quite bit deeper than my previous Hadley Pro and absolutely swallows a Fuji X-T2 and the following lenses 16mm, 23mm, 56mm and 90mm lenses with room to spare and an internal pocket for an iPad and a rear pocket for a 13" MacBook in a rear pocket. And now including a detacheable strap!  Built to Gillingham's usual superb quality but yes expensive!

Plenty of room for a Fujinon 100-400mm and a 50-140mm zooms!

https://www.billingham.co.uk/photographic/bags.html

Edited by Mike G