XT-3 (NEW) locks up / freezes randomly

vitalion

Hello all.

i have found several threads on various forums and grops for this issue but mst of them are more than 12months old.
I am having some trouble with my X-T3 and I am looking for some help or suggestions.
As i have found online this is issue its called “camera locked up”
Out of the blue the camera freezes. The LCD would still be showing a live view, but the entire HUD would disappear. The camera would not respond to any buttons being pressed. Even switching it off wouldn’t work. Additionally, the orange LED light is on and not going off or going into green. The only way to recover control was to literally pop the battery out and put it back in. I am shooting on single mode not CL or CH. Compressed RAW and Fine JPEG

setup:
X-T3 with 18-55 kit lens (less than two months old from my local fuji reseller)
Original Fuji battery
Latest firmware for both the body and the lens
SanDisk 64GB Extreme 90MB/s (picture here. I had it from a 60D canon)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have reset to factory settings tried another lens as well.
Reinstalled the latest firmware via SD Card.
SD card format on camera.

to be honest i have not identify any pattern for the issue. it happens randomly and in various lighting and temperature conditions

Any suggestions or possible solutions will be appreciated.
Thank you !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue when I'm using the camera with a Godox flash light! Almost every 10-20 photos the issue occurs and the camera freezes completely, the indicator lamp turns into orange. And same here I have to literally take the battery out to resume the camera.  Look for a solution too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I recently discover the same problem I´m using an xt3 camera, xtTf trigger and a tt350f flash. first I thought the problem might be the memory (im using a 1000x 150mb/s Lexar professional 32gb)  Original Fuji battery, Latest firmware for both the body triggers and flash.

the issue occurs randomly (some times in less than 10 pictures) and the camera freezes completely, the indicator lamp turns into blinking orange and I have to wait till the camera wants to work again, sometimes it takes 50 seconds, then the flash fires and the camera works fine again. And same as here I have to literally take the battery out to resume the camera if I can not wait those 50 seconds.  

I am a little bit scared that that can happen to me shooting on a wedding day, fortunately im just starting to do this technic, but it is frustrating.

Look for a solution too. 

have an amazing day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi All:

I have had my X-T3 since May 2019 and never experienced a lock-up.  However, since upgrading to version 4.00 I had my first lock-up while shooting video.  Screen froze and I was unable to turn off camera.  Anyone else had this experience since updating to version 4.00?

Don Barar

On 2/24/2021 at 4:22 AM, Don Barar said:

Hi All:

I have had my X-T3 since May 2019 and never experienced a lock-up.  However, since upgrading to version 4.00 I had my first lock-up while shooting video.  Screen froze and I was unable to turn off camera.  Anyone else had this experience since updating to version 4.00?

Don Barar

Hi @Don Barar. I just experienced it today, Feb. 25th, while playing with the menu. Went to the lens profile tab and all of a sudden my XT3 froze and nothing could restore it to normal including pressing buttons, turning dials, and even switching off the camera. I had to take off the battery and then re-install it for the XT3 to function normally again. My firmware is currently 4.00

Hi Fathom:

I called Fuji tech support in the US.  They told be they were unaware of a lock-up issue with firmware version 4.00.  Hmmm.

Based on your comments and others on this thread there is going to being mounting evidence that firmware 4.0 is causing lock-up issues on the X-T3 that were not there with previous firmware releases.  Everyone on this forum that are having lock-up issues with their X-T3 and firmware release 4.00 need to report what is going on to Fuji so they can get this fixed.

Don Barar

Edited by Don Barar

I actually shipped my camera to Fuji Service Center in NJ, after several calls they told me I will need my shutter to be replaced (which will cost me $270 as it's out of warranty). I'm really not quite sure if it's the shutter issue as for my case the camera works fine without the flashlight, and I actually tried my friend's Fuji XT3 camera using the same Godox flash settings and his camera experienced the same lock up issue as well. I ended up not proceeding with the fix. But this lock up issue remains unsolved. 

Happens to my 2nd X-T3 multiple times in every artificial light shooting session. TWICE WITH A CLIENT!!! I never used Fuji for studio type setups but was forced to do so when I sold my Nikon D810. 

This is not an inconvenience but SERIOUS GEAR FAILURE. Cameras should be relied upon to just work. 

I use an X2T trigger from godox to trigger all kinds of studio strobes: AD600B, AD200 PRO ETC. 

ATTENTION FJUJIFILM: Please fix this problem ASAP!!!!

I'm a serious X shooter with multiple bodies over many years. I only use Fuji for casual shooting and more serious documentary photography. Now that I'm considering Fuji for studio work it fails me unfortunately... It's hard to hide my frustration in front of clients in a food shoot where we need to complete a long shoot list. 

Initially I thought it was an issue with Capture one pro for Mac. But this latest shoot was untethered but expering it again is frustrating as hell guys. 

Edited by Johnedlt

Hi All,

Everyone that is having lock-ups with their X-T3 and firmware version 4.00 need to express their concern to FujiFilm service centers in their home country.  I have spoken with FujiFilm in the USA and they seem to be unaware of what is becoming a more widespread problem.

But only if we let FujiFilm know by calling them will they fix this problem.

Don Barar

Totally agree. But I'm just not 100% sure if it's the problem with the firmware version 4.00, as I first experienced this problem with the older firmware version, then I upgraded to version 4.00 the problem still existed. So to me it feels the issue is with the XT3 model, at least for my case using flash light. 

Ive had the xt3 for a year and a half. I also have the same lock ups using flash. I recently bought a new camera for video work and will also replace this one. Luckily I haven't been caught off guard yet but I can't imagine being at a wedding and this happening. Considering the $5000 invested in Fuji Im not happy.

Hi,

I'm having the same issue, my xt3 locks up while shooting video (when idle). Firmware version 4.0. Does anyone know if this issue is being looked at by Fuji or has anyone got any solution (apart from taking battery out...)? This happens with kit lens, just cleaned the connectors on the lens and hope this might help, but doubt it. 

Are you guys experiencing the issue with kit lenses or different ones?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use my XT3 primarily for clean HDMI out. I do over 10 hours of video conferencing on it each week. I have no issue with it on the video setting.

But each time I have gone into S mode, I have the lock-up issue. Especially when using the self-timer. I just tried tonight and the first attempt at a shot locked it up. And this time I can’t seem to get it unlocked by removing the battery. 

I’ve used Nikon for years. Never had a single issue. I did a lot of research before making the switch to Fuji and this is a bad first impression. I’ll get in touch with Fuji here in Germany, but who knows how long a fix will take if you folks say they aren’t aware of anything presently. Frustrating.

Edited by markdc

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Same here but with my X-T30. Happens only when I use my Godox flash and trigger (X2T). The LCD would be blank however the red orange (or red) light remains on. I think it takes about a minute before the flash fires and the camera start to play nice again. Nearly sold the X-T30 to buy and X-T3 because of this but it would appear from the threads in this forum that the X-T3 is also experiencing the same problem. This has happened twice so far and only when I use my Godox TT350F flash and the X2T trigger. I will be getting in touch with Fujifilm Australia regarding this..

• 1 month later...

I bought my second t3 last week. This one also freezes and my old one does not. Both are on the newest firmware. I tried the same sd card on both. The new one freezes when i shoot a lot of images in series, the old one does not. This is really bad. Also on the new one the back dial button is somehow soft and does not feel good - i think i got a monday-model and will check with my local dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the same issue shooting my XT-3 with Godox X2T trigger and Godox 860II speed light.

Camera locks up and nothing responds but led blinking. Turning off camera does not help either.

Eventually the shutter will fire after a minute or more and then back to normal. But not really good enough. I hope they get a software fix for this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience this can be down to a faulty sd card. If you have two cards in, the faulty one will still cause the lock up as the camera cannot write to it. Replace both cards with good quality new ones and try again.