LCD not showing Menus

Alan Wallace

My XT3 has had a full reset at the camera shop and I have had to reprogramme all of the settings. Foolishly I didn't spend an hour recording all of the settings.

My recollection is that before the reset I used EVF + eye detection for the display. When in this mode the EVF came on when I placed my eye at the EVF and turned off when my eye was away from the EVF, but my recollection is that I could press the Menu button when my eye was away from the EVF and the menu would display on the LCD. This was really handy as I only need EVF for taking images and battery life was saved by using eye detection, but I still had the practicality of using the LCD if I wanted to change any settings. The problem now is I cannot get back to this mode. I have set the display to EVF + eye detection but the LCD screen won't work if I press menu.

I am wondering is there is some setting that I have wrong which prevents the Menu button turning the LCD on when in EVF + eye detection mode.

Hi Jerry. Yes, I am aware of that button and I have tried all 5 settings and checked the manual. I have tried all 5 settings and none work as I thought it worked before. Therefore I assume I am mistaken as to how I used it before the reset (as  it's probably been a while since I looked at the menus on the LCD.

For mine, the view mode setting is ‘eye sensor + lcd image disp’, to get the viewing method you want. I was thinking that going through all of the options would reset that for you.

If you set it to ‘ lcd only’, are you able to use the menu button?

There is another reset approach, pull the battery and let the camera set for two or three days. The internal capacitor that powers the chip holding the settings will discharge and everything will go back to original settings.

If I go to ‘eye sensor + lcd image disp’ then I agree that I get the viewing that I like, but the cost is that if I am shooting (and not interested in the menu) and I take my eye from the viewfinder the EVF turns off but the scene is then displayed on the LCD (which wastes battery).

Basically I just want the LCD to be blank all the time unless I want to look at the menus for an extended period (i.e. if I just need a quick menu view I can do this via the EVF).

The more I think about this the more I think that pre-reset I must have changed the display to 'LCD only' when I wanted to work on the menu for an extended period, and then back to 'evf only + sensor' once I had finished.

Thanks for you help Jerry, even though I think I've been wasting your time because I now believe I was wrong to think the displays worked in the mode I thought I'd remembered. :-)