Lens hood for XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR easily deattached while walking.

bem

Hi,

I have Fujifilm X-T4 with lens XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR.
When I have the lens hood attached I have noticed it rather easily deattaches by itself when I walk with the camera, with the camera sling strap on and I carry the camera on the shoulder. The lens hood has so far deattached by itself two times and both times I have noticed it.
Any trick to have the lens hood fastened better? Or any lens hood that "lock" and do not unscrew/deattach by itself when touching the lens hood out in the terrain?

regards,

Bo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I wish I could give some great advice. But I’ve found all of my Fujifilm lens hoods on all my lenses are difficult to mount correctly. I once lost my 50-140mm lens’ hood into a raging, water filled gorge in Yosemite! That was an expensive lesson.

So do you think your lens hood is popping off when it impacts something, or is it not getting securely mounted? It is all to easy to miss the “sweet spot” while attaching the lens hood.

Maybe someone could recommend a third party metal hood. Though I wonder if the downside might be damage to the lens if the metal lens hood get a hit?

Hi,

If I for example walk in the woods with the camera on the sholder and the lens hood is attached, then if I happen to touch some branch, when I walk, the lens hood very easily is deattached. My solution so far is to not have the lens hood mounted and have it in my pocket until I plan to take some photos. I just prefer to have it mounted ready for use... The lens hood snap in place correct, I'm sure, but despite that it is too easy deattached by rather light touches out in the woods.
/Bo

Edited by bem

Since launching their x-system lenses, Fuji has had two main issues: the lens caps sucked and the lens hoods even more. The first issue they solved. The flat front lens caps are far better then the slightly dome-shaped ones. The lens hoods they solved for a few lenses by offering ridiculously expensive metal hoods. Unfortunately none of them fit the 16-80. However, Haoge offers a metal square lens hood for the 16-80 (Amazon). I don't know if it is really better, but usually the Haoge lens hoods have a more snug fit than the standard plastic ones from Fuji (I have one for the 14mm). How it is really done is showed by Sigma with their Art-series (esp. the newer DN-ones). Let's hope Fuji can copy that in the future...

I have ordered a Haoge LH-X18 square metal lens hood now from amazon in UK. It was a review on this lens hood saying it had fallen off for one user so maybe it is similar problem with this one. I take a chance. Maybe it will be OK and stay on the lens tip on my XF 16-80mm F4 R OIS WR lens.
/Bo 

Should the new hood still be too loose, there's one other DIY solution. The issue is that the clamp mechanism is not stiff enough. You can solve that by inserting a splinter of soft wood (like from a [safety] match) and insert it in the small notch underneath the clamp mechanism. Like in the attached image. That stiffens the clamp mechanism and provides a more snug fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have got the Haoge LH-X18 square metal lens hood now. It seems OK but the plastic cover is little "sharp" in the edges so I will need to smooth it little with fine wet sandpaper. Since it is square it will probably be easier to get stuck in various tree branches and such out in the woods compared to a round lens hood. I think a round metal lens hood had been better. It is hard to imagine the Haoge LH-X18 square metal lens hood will come loose by itself, but usage will tell. I have not been out in the woods yet (I got the Haoge LH-X18 yesterday). I will report back later when I have used it more outdoors.

/Bo

Edited by bem

Update: So far the new Haoge LH-X18 square metal lens hood has not deattached while out in the terrain. So it is probably safe to draw the conclusion that it will not deattach by itself like the original round lens hood for X-T4 did several times out in the terrain for me. Here are two photos with my Haoge LH-X18 square metal lens hood attached, I was too lazy to deattach the battry grip, I do not use the grip that often and never out in the terrain.
/Bo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I had the same issue occur last week. I was walking in Sultan Ahmet in Istanbul, got on the tram and walked out. When I left the tram gate, I noticed the hood was gone. Tried in vain to find one in Amazon Turkey and Amazon US but no luck, and Fujifilm UK is out of stock. It had gone off quickly previously but what caught it was the lens cap string that was attached to the lends itself. It was very loose from the first day I bought it. I went out and bought a replacement JJ brand one and another non name brand that screws on. Done with that and won't bother buying an original again...not well made if it falls off that easily. Not really happy about it but i'm not going to spend more money trying to replace it if this has happened to another person. I initially thought it was just my camera but after searching for another one online, I stumbled on this post and now I am definitely not going to bother with my search. I would not use an original again even if it was for free.  I got these two used from two stores in the city for 60 Turkish liras (one for twenty and the other for 40.)..they were collecting dust on their used camera shops windows displays...literally covered in dust LOL had to wipe it down.  

Edited by HaithamXT4Lover

• 1 year later...

I am aware this post is old but I have come across the same problem. I have a lens on loan whilst on holiday and I was paranoid thinking it was just my lens hood that had this problem so I thought I would Google it and this seems to be a known issue with others. The chances of it coming of are very high, think I will prefer not to have it on at all.