X-T4 wildlife improvements?

MJM

Hi all, I recently bought an X-T4 with 100-400 and 1.4x TC. Upgraded from a LUMIX G9, and absolutely love it so far, as I like 'hybrid'.

I'm very much an amateur, and dont claim to be any good. But whilst I'm very impressed with the combo, I do think there are a number of small, easily fixed areas Fuji need to seriously look at for wildlife shooting:

1 - Panasonic's implementation of focus bracketing (which goes forward and backward from the focal point, potentially saving many shots) is much better for this type of photography.

2 - Customisation options need to be improved, especially the ability to switch quickly between 2 completely different sets of settings, including focus area, AFS/AFC, drive mode, and minimum shutter speed etc (like Sony do).

3 - Panasonic's implementation of the focus check magnifier is also much better, just because it doesn't lag, can be set to automatically happen for a variable period with initial focus, and shows the focal point.

4 - a good affordable and compact longer zoom would be nice 🙂.

Also the OIS seems to temporarily disable itself at inappropriate times, requiring a restart - not good when you're trying to get a shot - plus the min shutter speed setting with ISO settings seems to be limited to 500 max. Or am I missing something?

Changes like this would make an already great wildlife setup absolutely perfect in my book! I'd be interested to hear other thoughts?

Edited by MJM
typo

Well I was actually thinking more along the lines of a good, sub-£2000 200-600mm or similar.

I know the X-T4 isn't really aimed at wildlife photography, but many wildlife photographers prefer APS-C over FF, for the extra reach. So it's a big niche that Fuji could easily fill, should they choose. The Sony APS-C cameras are the only real competition (at the moment, at least) in the mirrorless world, but whilst they do some things really well they're just a weird, horrible design that few serious photographers would consider. Fuji, on the other hand, just needs a few tweaks as I mentioned - in my humble opinion.

On 8/18/2020 at 5:07 AM, MJM said:

Well I was actually thinking more along the lines of a good, sub-£2000 200-600mm or similar.

I know the X-T4 isn't really aimed at wildlife photography, but many wildlife photographers prefer APS-C over FF, for the extra reach. So it's a big niche that Fuji could easily fill, should they choose. The Sony APS-C cameras are the only real competition (at the moment, at least) in the mirrorless world, but whilst they do some things really well they're just a weird, horrible design that few serious photographers would consider. Fuji, on the other hand, just needs a few tweaks as I mentioned - in my humble opinion.

Look into the Fringer EF adapter, I'm heaving very good things about it and the long zoom options in EF mount.

I think everyone agrees that Fuji needs to spend some serious time on telephotos, they have a single lens past 230mm and only one other one known to be in the pipeline (the 70-300). They need a couple tele primes (300/4, something ~500mm) and that 200-600 you mention.