Real X-T10 Vs. Mock Up X-T10... which one do you prefer?

I just received an email from a FR-reader with a slightly modified X-T10.

Some thought that the top plate is to fat. So he made a slimmer version of it.

Personally, the more I see, the more I like the X-T10 as it is now.

So, here is the mock up vs real X-T10

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's just what we're used to. But nothing to be done about it now! -_-

Not really concerned with it anymore honestly, seems like an awesome little machine with all the speed, good controls, and a fine EVF, but without the high price of the X-T1.

When we're complaining about the little things it just shows how much they did right. :P

I'll just pretend it's a Canon FT.

1966_ftql.jpg

It remains an ugly camera and I still cannot understand why it really exists either. Is there for Fujifilm such a significant market to conquer by dropping a few features and making the design somewhat cheaper (if that is even the case)? The X-T1 was a winner - nobody is going to discuss that - but I'm afraid this is a complete misfit and a waste of development resources - while a lot of people had been hoping that Fujifilm made a true next step with a compelling X-Pro2-concept.

Prepare to be proven wrong ! :lol:

(about it being a waste, it's going to make them lots of money for more bodies and more glass)

People keep speaking of R&D like there is a finite amount of it, but Fuji is a BIG company, when they have an idea they can put as much resources on it as they want or need to. Nobody has to be pulled away from working on the X-Pro2, they will just put a team together that works on one project, and another team that works on something else. It's not a couple dudes in a basement you know.

Hi ChatNoir, I remeber taking images with the ugliest ever camera made, the Contarex Special Bullseye. At that stage camera aesthetics did not come into mind, only functionality and the quality of the lenses.

The functionality if various Fuji systems seems to be good, their lenses are what makes the image. If the tool works (the lens) who cares about the box ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at it this way. Most people don't need the features of the top shelf model. The X-T10 looks more attractive to them due to lower price point and will allow them to capture sales which would normally go to competitors like OM-D EM-10 kit. This will allow increased revenue and more money to spend on raising the bar on the top shelf model for next gen.

Ps. To drive this point home consider that OM-D EM-10 was recently on sale for $499 including cheap plastic kit lens. Sony A6000 bodies are now $460. Fuji needs to be able to answer a challenge like that.

I think X-T10 could be that with eventual discounting.

Prepare to be proven wrong ! :lol:

(about it being a waste, it's going to make them lots of money for more bodies and more glass)

People keep speaking of R&D like there is a finite amount of it, but Fuji is a BIG company, when they have an idea they can put as much resources on it as they want or need to. Nobody has to be pulled away from working on the X-Pro2, they will just put a team together that works on one project, and another team that works on something else. It's not a couple dudes in a basement you know.

I agree about the first part completely. It will generate more revenue.

The second part not so much. The company is split into business units (BUs) which need to have operational expenses inline with revenue from the point of view of the BU; not company as a whole.

I agree about the first part completely. It will generate more revenue.

The second part not so much. The company is split into business units (BUs) which need to have operational expenses inline with revenue from the point of view of the BU; not company as a whole.

Being around in industry for 30 years I can tell you there are many limitations why engineering and design depts can't be expanded without boundaries. Living to tight budgets and the almost permanent concern to generate savings in bigger companies is one. The true market availability of technically competent resources with a fair level of education and experience is a second one. The current wave of engineers are much more management oriented than purely interested in a technical career, for most it's just a 'bridge' to jump to a major, leading function one day and I see less and less people that can present a full technical record of more than a decade. No, I don't think Fujifilm's resources and capabilities are endless. The reason why the X-Pro2 was delayed so many times.  Wether this X-T10 will generate revenue.... well the cheaper versions like the X-A1 and X-M1 apparently didn't. Premium on a very tight budget doesn't fully work because you're entering as a company a different market with not the same expectations. That's a risk and it's not the first company that experiences a decent sales erosion in one model range by releasing another one. Let's hope for Fuji I'm wrong - but isn't it precisely this where the DSLR-world got into trouble?

That's a risk and it's not the first company that experiences a decent sales erosion in one model range by releasing another one. Let's hope for Fuji I'm wrong - but isn't it precisely this where the DSLR-world got into trouble?

I think Fuji marketing knows what they are doing better than I do. They have more information and overall strategy. They can pull the strings as required to maximize overall profits both in long and short term.   If something is not working, they will adjust. I think they are playing a few different strategies here.  

I think many of us were attracted to the top tier of their brand. However, Fujifilm as a whole is still missing out on a large share of lower entry or mid range bodies in the hope to attract more customers to the brand. Many of us were entry level DSLR consumers at one point before we upgraded.   I hope most agree that upgrading to higher tier model within the brand is a lot simpler than switching brands.   Fuji need a strong entry/mid tier hook than what they have had so far. I think that is what they are working on now. 

It remains an ugly camera and I still cannot understand why it really exists either. Is there for Fujifilm such a significant market to conquer by dropping a few features and making the design somewhat cheaper (if that is even the case)? The X-T1 was a winner - nobody is going to discuss that - but I'm afraid this is a complete misfit and a waste of development resources - while a lot of people had been hoping that Fujifilm made a true next step with a compelling X-Pro2-concept.

I think it fits the market perfectly. I've got a couple of X-T1s for pro use and they are great but this aligns with buyers looking for their first DSLR. Simpler to use, intelligent Auto, better price point for new buyers - it ticks all the boxes. Those folks won't be on this forum, but they still exist.

I think it's wrong, because what Fuji should have developed is not another non-weather sealed body right now. IMO if they want to attract more people to the system they should release real quick weather sealed 35mm f2 and 23mm f2 and a weather sealed body that is cheaper than the x-t1 and smaller/lighter. Otherwise they are not gonna attract many Olympus customers if any, people are still reluctant for street and hiking. It's often raining in real life you know...

Think back to the Spotmatic and then the SP500. Drop a few features and lower the price. Success!

It was so successful that it was carried into the Pentax "K" series of cameras also. The K-1000 was produced from 1976 till 1997! A really long product life!

I want to chime in with others here and say look at Olympus. AFAIK they have had success with both E-10 and E-5 so there is room for market segmentation even within the (small) Fuji line. What I DON'T understand is why they insist on making both the A and the M line. They have to make their mind up. Maybe they have? I haven't heard about an X-M2 yet

I think the really interesting thing is that after all the feedback on the X-t1 about the D-Pad they have gone with the same solution as opposed to reverting to the button design from the X-E2

Given that the whole reason for that design was touted as weather sealing that leaves 2 options

1) Exciting - Its actually weather sealed - Unlikely given that the shutter button is threaded like X-E2 and there is not alternate rubber capped shutter release socket.

2) Disappointing, its not weather sealed and its still has annoying d-pad.

Personally as an X-E2 user there is a lot to like about this camera, putting aside my disappointment about the fact that it is unlikely that they will be upgrading the X-E2 again.

This camera has a nice balance of features if rumors can be believed.

Manual VIdeo

Drive Control which means you can go to video mode BEFORE recording video allowing you to frame your shot.

Built in flash

Tilt screen

EV wheel works in Full Manual mode (which in some ways negates need for ISO wheel so this means that the lack of one compared to X-T1 is not as significant as before the new firmware.

New AF Zone focus which it sounds like we won't get for the X-E2

Dials are non locking which is a personal preference thing, but for me I think better.

View Mode button 

Full Auto (don't get me wrong I never use my X-E2 in full auto, in fact most of the time its in full manual and occasionally full manual with Auto ISO but its a pain when I ask someone else in my family to take a picture as its a bit complicated to change everything back. This is actually useful flick switch hand camera to family member, picture taken camera handed back flick switch and you are back where you were before)

So in some ways it fills a niche that the X-T1 does not.

Advantages of X-t1 that remain are to me

EVF (this is a biggie though)

Looks nicer (personal pref)

ISO Dial

Weather Sealing

More function buttons

Which begs the question everyone assumes this is going to eat the X-E2's lunch, but I wander if given that its SLR in  style it might end up eating the X-T1's lunch, as rangefinder guys might just wait it out till the X-Pro2

My 2 pennyworth.

Personally I think they've ditched the X-E and X-M lines and replaced them with the X-T10. Just my 2p worth.

I don't think so - Fuji has a successful line of cameras in the "rangefinder look" format, why would they discontinue it?

More likely is product price point differentiation - X-T1 and X-T10 in the DSLR look, X-Pro2 and XE in Rangefinder look, X100T and X30 in fixed lens high end compact.

Gordon,

You shot in manual but you don't find yourself mentioning the metering modes dial as a priority? Interesting.

ISO dial remains useful if you know you are going to want to work with Raw and forcing ISO if you have DR mode set by default for jpegs.

Sorry just read my post back and edited it.

The sentance that said I never use my X-t1 was a typo, I own an X-E2 so should read I never use (or rarely) use the X-E2 in anything other than full manual.

Still to address your point. I am looking at this camera as to what it could bring to the table above and beyond and X-E2 or X-T1, ie its a blend, its missing some things from the X-T1 but it adds good things to the X-E2. I was not really dealing with anything that they all have a solution for.

Ie in terms of metering. I have the AE function button set up on my X-E2 to handle metering so I CAN do it, maybe not as easily as on the X-T1 but its there. Granted I have ISO set to the Fn2 button so its also there. But I reach for ISO more than I do metering. That might be my failing as a photographer, thats how I work. Are you saying I would have to do less ISO adjustments if I made better decisions on what metering mode I was using? Ps this comment is not meant as a challenge, I genuinely want to learn. Before I had the X-E2 I had a Lumix camera and I stayed in A priority mode. The X-E2 i bought deliberately so I could start learning more about how to use a camera properly and it has worked as I now live in Manual mode 90% of the time, but if there is a trick I am missing let me know. So far I just look through EVF and fiddle with stuff till the little voice in my head says NAILED IT. I guess i am relying on my eyes to be my meters, maybe I need to rethink :)

For now even if changing the metering mode is a good thing to do more often, I still think being able to just reach up and tweak the Ev ring (or if I get an X-T1 the ISO ring) to slightly change my exposure without having to sacrifice my chosen SS or A would be great.

I grant you that the above statement is completely predisposed on what the EV effects in 'M' mode. I have noticed in A mode if I push EV mode it changes SS, and vice versa in S mode. I await to see how the new firmware handles it. I my ideal world in 'M' mode tweaking the EV would change the ISO and leave my other settings alone. It would in effect become an ISO dial. OR an ISO fine tune dial. You get close to the ISO you want, or use Auto ISO and then if you want to expose creatively you can fine tune to get the effect you want. Very very quickly. Currently I have to press a Fn button scroll to correct ISO. shot missed. Or if its in a time critical environment ie capturing a moving scene I currently sacrifice either SS or A based on which is more important ie Good DOF or with a really quick moving subject relatively high SS.

This is just my personal thinking and the way I shoot, so I accept my original post and this one is assessing the X-T10 in terms of what it could bring to my photography. My hope is that I am not a complete whacko and others might be in a simlar position.

gorden,

If you are truly 100% happy with the accuracy of the EVF in multi or average metering mode to get exposure correct in high contrast scenes, then there won't be anything I can say change your mind.   For me being able to switch into spot mode quickly in these challenging situations, and mapping the tone I want using EV offsets from middle gray just takes the guess work out for me and is faster.  The pupils in my eyes reacting to ambient conditions tend to throw off my perception of true exposure when switching to look through the EVF with large EC values dialed in + or - from multi/average mode's exposure basis.  For example, shooting  backlit scenes or shooting lighted objects in darkly lit buildings.