Continuous Focus Question plus HDR Question

BobB

I am new to the Fujifilm system.

I use back-button focus (AF ON button.) When my AF switch is set to C and I want to continuously focus on a moving subject, do I need to keep holding the AF ON button down while taking multiple shots to keep my subject in focus?

One more question - I know that the X-T4 Drive Switch has an HDR function that automatically takes a selected number of images and the camera processes them into one image. Is there a way to take the multiple exposures without the camera processing them into one image so I can that myself in post processing?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

On 8/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, BobB said:

I use back-button focus (AF ON button.) When my AF switch is set to C and I want to continuously focus on a moving subject, do I need to keep holding the AF ON button down while taking multiple shots to keep my subject in focus?

Yes - isn't this the same for back button with all systems - not just Fujifilm?

On 8/10/2020 at 8:11 PM, BobB said:

One more question - I know that the X-T4 Drive Switch has an HDR function that automatically takes a selected number of images and the camera processes them into one image. Is there a way to take the multiple exposures without the camera processing them into one image so I can that myself in post processing?

You could use bracketing instead of HDR

On 8/10/2020 at 3:11 PM, BobB said:

Yes, if you aren't pressing AF-ON, the camera is just leaving the focus point where it is. You need to be pressing AF-On for the camera to actively focus. This is the same behaviour as every other ILC system unless it's doing some sort of Pre-AF.

Thanks for your help.

Bob

Check out the Bracketing function. Not only does it allow you to do exactly this, it gives you a LOT more control over what you are getting. In Drive Setting, set your Bracketing to AE Bracketing, then set your AE bracketing to the settings you want. You can take up to 9 frames with up to 3 stop difference between shots, depending on your settings in AE Bracketing, you set number and type of shot in one half of the screen and per-shot exposure change on the other half.

Once configured, just set the drive mode dial to BKT to use.

Edited by mawz