High speed flash

Hello,

I have recently moved over from the Hasselblad H system and although I love the 50r I’m struggling with the 1/125 flash sync. I have an Elinchrom Transmitter Pro for Fuji and a Quadra pack with HS head as well as a 400 mono head which is apparently HS compatible but I can’t get good results, the loss of power and grading beyond 1/125 is too poor to use. Does anyone have experience of working successfully with HS flash and the 50R? I often shoot on location so this is something I really need to address and will be happy to change my flash system if that’s what it takes. Thanks.

no magic there ... classic HSS will get you even illumination when you go above X-Sync, but a big loss of power because it is not one impulse, but a lot of small impulses... HS is one impulse but going beyond X-Sync means you have a traveling slit and impulse is not even  ("grading") across its duration and for GFX50R that duration (beyond X-Sync no matter what is the slit it will travel across the frame still in X-Sync time... even if the slit is very narrow and you have 1/8000 exposure time that narrow slit will still cover sensor in X-Sync time) is X-Sync time of 1/125 (actually a little faster, but let us stick with nominal numbers). I do not think Quadra HS head can keep a single 100% power impulse very even for 1/125 sec, it might keep it sufficiently even for dSLR/dSLM with 1/200 - 1/250 X-Sync times, but 1/125 shall be a a challenge... did you see a tech spec about t0.1 & t0.5 durations (actual numbers) of 100% power impulse for HS head ?  - albeit some say that their strobe models can make it almost not noticeable or correctable in post ... if you can't keep yourself within X-Sync shutter speed (to avoid grading) and kill ambient light outdoors using either aperture and/or ND filter then it is a tough luck then ... 

https://www.elinchrom.com/learn/hss-hs.html

Edited by deejjjaaaa

I’ve tried several HSS set-ups and most of them only work fine if you have a small scene to lit. Any larger than 2-3m away, and the HSS can’t deliver the power needed. I see two options: (a) switch to constant light set-up with LED panels or (b) use a Hasselblad H lens with leaf shutter on an adapter. That way you can sync up go the max shutter of the lens. Fuji has a GFX to H adapter for that.