If you could choose only 2 lenses for the Fuji X System, What would you choose?

Anish

I have decided to get only 2 lenses for the XT-4 which I am going to purchase pretty soon. I've decided on the 23mm f1.4 for the wide end. I cannot decide what other lens to get with the 23mm. I dont require weather sealing and I prefer sharpness over any and everything else.

Please suggest me a good lens to go with it. Primes, Zooms anything will do. But my budget is $999 for the 2nd lens.

I am new to this forum so please excuse any mistakes I have made.

Regards,

Anish

You asked an open question for 2 lenses and then closed it down by saying you had decided already on the 23mm!

My 2 choices would be (and in fact are) the 10-24mm and the 18-55mm standard lens. If you wanted a third choice then I'd add the 55-200mm zoom but very often I just crop an image from the 18-55mm on my X-T2 and that suffices. With the X-T4 you'll have even more pixels to play with so you may not need a longer zoom. 

Only 2 lenses? 10-24 and 55-200 would be my choices. But I'm a landscape/nature shooter who hikes, as much as I love primes if limited to two lenses I'd have to go with those.

For a second lens to pair with the 23/1.4, I'd pair the 56mm f1.2 for sure.

Which genres of photography are you in? Landscape, portrait, reportage, food, stills, animals, family ... ? I think that's what would narrow  down the possibilities considerably. I wouldn't call 23 mm "the wide end" in the Fuji X system, it's really more of a standard focal length (a 35 in the full frame world). Personally, if I could only have two lenses, I'd go with the 35 f1.4 and the 18 f.2, but that's more because of their special rendering (almost film-like, as many would argue). That would be about the equivalent of the 50 mm and the 28 mm in the full frame world, my standard kit back in film days ... For sharpness, versatility and still acceptable low light capabilities I'd chose the 16-50 and the 50-140 (+1.4 converter). But that would be huge and heavy kit ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 6:10 PM, khollister said:

I agree that the 56/1.2 is the obvious partner to the 23/1.4. A lot depends though on what your specific interests are.

I would second this. In fact the only 3 lenses I own are the 23 1.4, 56 1.2 and 10-24, and the first two are used the most.

The only downside to the 56 is that it's not the fastest lens in terms of AF but still more than capable, and produces stunning images.

For me it's a no brainer to pair with the 23mm

Without knowing your shooting preferences and style it's a hard question to respond to. In case you look for something longer than the 23mm (35mm FF equiv.), the 35, 50 or 56 are all great lenses. Depends on how much longer you need. The 56 has by the way the same filter thread as the 23 which can be convenient. If you really need 'long' then the 55-200  or the 50-140 are good additions that won't make your 23 redundant. The 50-140 however is well-over $1000, but you can look at used ones.

In case you want something wider, the 16 or even better the 14 or the 12mm Zeiss are great additions to your 23. Esp. the 14 pairs nicely since it has the same manual focus clutch as the 23 (in case you focus manually at all). The 16/f1.4 also has that, but might be too close in focal length to the 23.

As for zoom lenses, I guess you bought the 23 for a reason. The issue with buying a standard zoom next to it (like the 16-55 or the 18-55) is that you probably leave that on and might not use the 23 that much anymore. That is a pity since in terms of IQ it is one of Fuji's best lenses. Adding the 10-24 (which is on sale) is perhaps a better alternative as the long end (24) of that lens isn't the best part of that lens, which keeps the 23 a good extension.

Edited by Herco

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 2:26 AM, Herco said:

Without knowing your shooting preferences and style it's a hard question to respond to. In case you look for something longer than the 23mm (35mm FF equiv.), the 35, 50 or 56 are all great lenses. Depends on how much longer you need. The 56 has by the way the same filter thread as the 23 which can be convenient.

Definitely agree, without knowing what you're trying to capture, it's difficult to make a suggestion. If you're just looking for general photography coverage, the 56 is a good pairing with the 23. If you're shooting video, you'll probably want to consider something significantly wider with the crop factors for 4k and 240fps (also the vertical loss shooting landscape).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting thread! I've enjoyed reading everyones 'desert island lenses'

I have an X-T30 with 18-55mm lens. I really like it and have no plans to get rid of it. I'm thinking of getting another lens next year and at the top of my list is the 10-24mm mk ii. I'm also tempted by a prime and the 35mm f2 is on my list. I'll have to start saving up! 😂 I've tried out the 55-200mm for a few days and I did like it but not sure how much I would use it.

I don't really have a specific photography niche and I enjoy landscapes, nature, some urban, pretty much willing to give anything a go. The one thing that doesn't really interest me is portraits of people.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Goonerjr said:

just my opin: 16/2.8 and 35/1.4 

How is the 16/2.8? I am debating this lens or the 14 f2.8. The 14 doesn’t seem to get a lot of talk but looks to be a fantastic lens, at a premium of course. 

The 16 has the lower cost going for it & weather sealing. I already have the 23, 35 and 50 so it seems I should just complete the set... but the 14 just seems so nice.

I’ve tried the 16/2.8 but didn’t find it good enough to replace the 14/2.8. The 14 is a very underrated lens. In my view it comes very close to the 16/1.4 which is one of Fuji’s best lenses. The 16/2.8 is less sharp wide-open (corners) and lacks the beautiful micro-contrast of the 14. For general use and street shots that’s less of an issue as it has faster AF and is smaller (and WR for those who care). But for landscape and architecture I much prefer the IQ of the 14.

24 minutes ago, Herco said:

I’ve tried the 16/2.8 but didn’t find it good enough to replace the 14/2.8. The 14 is a very underrated lens. In my view it comes very close to the 16/1.4 which is one of Fuji’s best lenses. The 16/2.8 is less sharp wide-open (corners) and lacks the beautiful micro-contrast of the 14. For general use and street shots that’s less of an issue as it has faster AF and is smaller (and WR for those who care). But for landscape and architecture I much prefer the IQ of the 14.

Appreciate the quick response, if I may, one more question. You referenced it less sharp wide open. How was it stopped down? It would be used for landscapes but on a casual basis. Sort of trying to talk myself down from the extra $500 of the 14...

Agreed on the 14 - very few reviews - I spent the weekend perusing Flickr and it got to the point where I knew a picture was taken with the 14 (at some point I also realized the few folks using the 14 had a higher level of skill so sort of compounding the quality of the lens). I also developed an appreciation of the 10-24 f4. 

6 hours ago, dward said:

Appreciate the quick response, if I may, one more question. You referenced it less sharp wide open. How was it stopped down? It would be used for landscapes but on a casual basis. Sort of trying to talk myself down from the extra $500 of the 14...

Agreed on the 14 - very few reviews - I spent the weekend perusing Flickr and it got to the point where I knew a picture was taken with the 14 (at some point I also realized the few folks using the 14 had a higher level of skill so sort of compounding the quality of the lens). I also developed an appreciation of the 10-24 f4. 

Stopped down to 5.6 or so, the 16/2.8 improves in sharpness, but never quite reaches the level of the 14/2.8. The 14 has that same 3D-like rendering effect that the 35/1.4 and the 23/1.4 also have. When you compare field-of-view, the 14 is quite a bit wider, allowing for more dramatic wide-angle shots. The 16 is more of a universal wide-angle.

Here in Europe there are ample 14/2.8s second-hand for around €450. Esp. when the 16/1.4 came out, people sold their 14s. You might see the same effect whit the mkII of the 10-24/4. The 10-24/4 is a very good lens as long as you stay away from the long (24) end. It’s much bigger though and personally I prefer a prime lens.

21 hours ago, dward said:

How is the 16/2.8? I am debating this lens or the 14 f2.8. The 14 doesn’t seem to get a lot of talk but looks to be a fantastic lens, at a premium of course. 

The 16 has the lower cost going for it & weather sealing. I already have the 23, 35 and 50 so it seems I should just complete the set... but the 14 just seems so nice.

I also own the 14/2.8 and its a great lens but the 16 fits my eye better for go to wide angle and it goes in my light weight setup w 23, 50 and 90 

This is a really difficult question! ( T_ T) I have the 23 1.4 myself but also have too many others.

If you want an all-purpose, the 55-200 or 18-135 will get you some zoom at a fair price while the 50-140 is the high-quality version.

If you want a fixed focal length, think about what kind of pictures you take the most often. For myself, I use the 14 2.8 indoors (architecture) and for outdoor landscape, 56 1.2 for portraits and other FF 80-ish stuff, and the 80 macro for a wide range of close and far shots.

The 23 1.4 is in that 35mm full frame spot so you have to decide what kind of photos you will take a lot of that the 23 cannot do with a little walking; wide angle, portrait large aperture, macro, or zoomy one-lens. This is how people end up with a heavy bag.

Edited by bhu