Traveling Setup with X-T30 and ???

EverythingIsAwesome

I have horrible FOMO. I'm going to Europe for the first time next year and doing an almost 2 week tour. It will be a lot of hustle and bustle to get to all the places we are going, and we'll be in cities and mountains and everywhere in between. I have a x-t30 which will be my main camera, along with my phone camera and a GoPro. I do enjoy taking some video but mainly photos with the x-t30. For lenses I have the 18-55, the 50-140, and the 12mm Samyang. I'm curious what others would do for lenses on a trip like this.

Option 1: Bring just the 18-55. I had that at Disney with my family last year and it seemed to work just fine, even though there were a couple of times I wish I had a longer reach. But it was the only lens I owned at the time, and Europe isn't Disney with the kids.

Option 2: Get a different lens for the same 1-lens setup, specifically the 16-80. I'll still have only one lens but it'll be just larger, heavier, and maybe not ideal in low-light. 

Option 3: Get the 55-200 and bring it with the 18-55. I'll have much more options for the longer reach, but without the size and weight of the 50-140. I like my 50-140 for kids sports and concerts so I'm not getting rid of it, but I really don't want to take it on this trip. 

Option 4: Anything I'm missing? 

I know everyone shoots differently and will have different opinions, but I want to hear what others would do.

Hello, new to the forum, but spotted this post. I live in the UK and have visited plenty of Europe. It depends on your interests, but lots of the classic cities, history and architecture can be small and tight. So personally I’d take my 10-24 too if that was possible for certain subjects. The older and old town cities with the history are very tight and small and you can’t always walk back. BUT, this depends what you intend to shoot! 

11 hours ago, EverythingIsAwesome said:

I have horrible FOMO. I'm going to Europe for the first time next year and doing an almost 2 week tour. It will be a lot of hustle and bustle to get to all the places we are going, and we'll be in cities and mountains and everywhere in between. I have a x-t30 which will be my main camera, along with my phone camera and a GoPro. I do enjoy taking some video but mainly photos with the x-t30. For lenses I have the 18-55, the 50-140, and the 12mm Samyang. I'm curious what others would do for lenses on a trip like this.

Option 1: Bring just the 18-55. I had that at Disney with my family last year and it seemed to work just fine, even though there were a couple of times I wish I had a longer reach. But it was the only lens I owned at the time, and Europe isn't Disney with the kids.

Option 2: Get a different lens for the same 1-lens setup, specifically the 16-80. I'll still have only one lens but it'll be just larger, heavier, and maybe not ideal in low-light. 

Option 3: Get the 55-200 and bring it with the 18-55. I'll have much more options for the longer reach, but without the size and weight of the 50-140. I like my 50-140 for kids sports and concerts so I'm not getting rid of it, but I really don't want to take it on this trip. 

Option 4: Anything I'm missing? 

I know everyone shoots differently and will have different opinions, but I want to hear what others would do.

Buy the XF18-135mm. For your type of trip - doing Europe in less than two weeks - that is the best option. I own the 18-135, as well as the 18-55 and 55-200, and I know from experience that the 18-55 is not enough, and changing lenses is not what you will want to spend precious time with, not to talk about extra weight and bulk, and all the hassle that comes with changing lenses.

Another vote for wide lenses. Most cities in Europe are pretty tight, so unless you're expecting to shoot wildlife or have a lot of time for scouting/shooting landscapes, I can't see a long lens being overly useful.

Depending on the type of shooting you're planning on doing, I'd almost be worried about 18mm not being wide enough, if anything. For casual photos it would be fine, but if you're looking to do any architecture or cityscape type stuff, you may run out of room.

I'd say just bring the 18-55mm and 12mm. If it were me, and if I was working with your setup, I'd get the 23mm f/2 and bring that and the 12mm, and that's it. But it seems like you prefer zooms, and you've already got the 18-55. :)

Edited by Phil

I would echo the comments about wanting a wide angle. I'd be tempted to take the 16mm f2.8, 23mm f2 and 50mm f2, all pocketable, light, easy to carry. I have owned the 18-135mm before and it's very versatile but I wasn't overly impressed with the image quality compared to the primes. I eventually sold it as I found myself avoiding using it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last year I went to Italy (Rome) with only my X100T and its fixed 23mm lens. Never regretted it. Fantastic camera.

However, I since bought the X-T30 for some extra versatility.  When I travel to Europe next, I'll take my 15-45 XC kit lens for wide angle to normal (I like this lens...very sharp from 15-~30) and my 35 1.4 ('normal' and low light). I'll probably leave my larger 55-200 at home, unless I'll be river cruising.  I'll also bring my compact X100T as a second camera.

If most of your travel is located in cities, IMO, having wide angle (around 16mm), normal (23 or 35), and one that is low light (1.4-2.0) will fit most of your needs. Keep it as light as possible (that's what Fuji is all about) -- you'll have lots more fun than lugging around multiple or heavy lenses. Of course, all depends upon your type of photography.