film simulation?

stegzzz

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum but probably someone here will be able to advise. Using my XT2 using RAW there are some film simulation options e.g. shoot in black and white. I was at first thinking this would apply some (reversible) in camera processing to save time in post processing. However, looking at the RAW images in SILKPIX (EX3.0) I can't see a way to recover the colour image. Assuming the selection of film simulation is actually non-reversible what are the relative advantages of shooting in RAW full colour and then post processing to obtain e.g. black and white images versus using film simulation? Is it just a matter of time saving versus 'throwing-away' the original RAW image?

Thanks, stegzzz 

The film simulation is most certainly reversible when shooting RAW.

I can't comment on SilkyPIX, as I would never even bother with that. Most likely SilkyPIX does allow you to change things, it's just buried in that awful UI.

I'd suggest trying Capture One Express for Fuji, it's free and supports film simulations on the X-T2, and will also let you change the film simulation at will (and turn them off and use the default C1 colour profiles as well).

Works perfectly fine in SilkyPix, my day to day RAW converter. All the film simulations (that your camera model supports) are available, plus the SilkyPix standards (which I never use). They are called the "color profiles" in SilkyPix.

Hi, thanks for the comments. I found the color profile option under View -> Parameters controls, it is perfectly possible to change things in the post processing phase as thought (hoped), so nothing is lost. Using film simulation during shooting is therefore a time saver without penalty!

Film simulations only affect the jpegs, not the raw files. However, in the data of the raw file Fuji also stores which film simulation is used (if any). SilkyPix and CaptureOne use that information to display the raw image as per the selected film simulation setting. You can easily switch that off (In C1: Base Characteristics -> Curve). When it is in 'auto' it will pick up the film simulation you've used in the camera. When you put it in 'linear response' it is the flat raw file without film simulation.