FUJIFILM X Webcam not working on macOS Catalina.

Has anyone had success using FUJIFILM X Webcam with macOS Catalina?

It was working for me (with my XT-3) on macOS Mojave. I installed macOS Catalina lastnight and now I can't get Google Meet (which worked previously) to display my image. It just shows the FUJIFILM X Webcam screen.

I removed FUJIFILM X Webcam and reinstalled it, did not seem to help.

According to the official documents, Catalina is supposed to be supported, so I'm wondering if anyone has had success with it.

I get close!  The installer works fine, and apps like Zoom and OBS recognize the device, but it won't, um, show any video.  I just get the Fuji splash screen.

Are people generally getting that far?  I've been over the camera settings (on my Xpro-2) a dozen times, and everything is set up correctly as far as I can tell.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, sramsay said:

I get close!  The installer works fine, and apps like Zoom and OBS recognize the device, but it won't, um, show any video.  I just get the Fuji splash screen.

Are people generally getting that far?  I've been over the camera settings (on my Xpro-2) a dozen times, and everything is set up correctly as far as I can tell.

I'm able to get that far. I see the Splash screen but my video doesn't pop up (on macOS Catalina). Worth noting that my work computer is still on macOS Mojave and I use it with the software successfully every day, so its definitely not my camera configuration. When it works successfully, you will see the splash screen for a few seconds and then your video pops up.

I had the same problem on Zoom, but another post on another forum recommended that I make sure I had the latest version of Zoom, as well as everything else. Opened Zoom, upgraded to latest version, and 'Hey Presto!' - everything works as it should. 

I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 and only after updating to the latest Zoom does the FUJIFILM X Webcam option appear and then I also had to give permission for Zoom to access some files and then everything worked.

It worked right off the bat with Google Meets and I can't get the FUJIFILM X Webcam to appear as an option for Facetime.

Thanks @MacimusPrime I believe I've figured out the solution thanks to your post. FUJIFILM X Webcam does in fact work with macOS Catalina! I noticed when I updated zoom and started using it I got a popup that said "“Zoom” would like to access files on a removable volume." After I granted access it started working.

Google Meets however still did not work. To fix that, I had to manually grant Google Chrome access to Removable Volumes. This will be true of any software you want to work with FUJIFILM X Webcam.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders > Ensure Removable Volumes is checked for Google Chrome, zoom.us, any other browser or software you want to work.

10 hours ago, MacimusPrime said:

I can't get the FUJIFILM X Webcam to appear as an option for Facetime.

According to https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/webcam-support/ the only software that is officially supported is: Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, Microsoft Teams. I wouldn't expect Facetime to work unless there is a browser based version.

In general I think browser based video chat software in a Chromium based browser will work. Slack for example, doesn't work as a desktop application, but will work if you used the browser based version in Chrome.

@joel_damien_55 I was so hopeful!  But I have granted every kind of permission I can think of for Zoom (and interestingly, it does not offer "removable volumes" as an option in the Files and Folders section for me -- only the Downloads folder).  And this doesn't change even I do a clean re-install and ok removable volumes during the reinstall.

That almost makes me wonder if some element of Zoom permissions persists even after the Zoom client is removed (through the app's own uninstall menu item).  But I've been all over ~/Library and /Library, and I don't see anything.

On 8/2/2020 at 4:02 AM, joel_damien_55 said:

Thanks @MacimusPrime I believe I've figured out the solution thanks to your post. FUJIFILM X Webcam does in fact work with macOS Catalina! I noticed when I updated zoom and started using it I got a popup that said "“Zoom” would like to access files on a removable volume." After I granted access it started working.

Google Meets however still did not work. To fix that, I had to manually grant Google Chrome access to Removable Volumes. This will be true of any software you want to work with FUJIFILM X Webcam.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders > Ensure Removable Volumes is checked for Google Chrome, zoom.us, any other browser or software you want to work.

J, Genius! Zoom works with your recommendation. THX.

I remember being able to use my camera as a webcam with no problem earlier in the summer. However, with schools starting up, I can't seem to escape the Fujifilm splash page! It seems that it's the version of Mac OS I'm running on from other people's comments. Is there a way to avoid this? Or am I stuck using my laptop webcam?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that it's the version of Mac OS I'm running on from other people's comments. Is there a way to avoid this? Or am I stuck using my laptop webcam?

No one really knows what's going on.  People seem to have no problem with MacOS versions earlier than Catalina, but most people can't seem to get it to work with Catalina (it's a Heisenbug; some people can get it to work!).  For awhile, it was looking like a permissions problem with particular applications (like Zoom), but I'm now pretty skeptical of that.  I've definitely tried every combination I can think of -- including Full Disk Access.  I really wish Fuji would address this.  It's frustrating to have to use a lousy built-in webcam when you have a really gorgeous (not to mention expensive) camera sitting right next to it!

Did I mention that I got it to work exactly once?  There was a new version of Zoom, it asked for removable folder permissions (which were already enabled), I hooked up the camera, and it worked.  Next time I fired up Zoom, it didn't work.  And it hasn't worked since.

I suspect that there's some kind of disconnect between the Fuji driver and the new(ish) Mac permissions system, but it's hard to tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problems like many here.

I also use Mac OS 10.15.6 with a Macbook Pro 2015 15" DG.

All the recommended settings have been set in my X-Pro2.

I have installed Fujifilm Webcam V2.0, but that application doesn't recognise that I have my camera attached.

Zoom and MS Teams only show Fujifilm Webcam Software splash screen.

I have no clue how to get this working right now. Also checked the permissions in Privacy & Security.

I really hope someone finds a solution to this issue.

Even I had the same issue in my Mojave and extended into my Catalina update as well. Turns out the Zoom app needed to get updated on the Macbook.

For some reason, the updates on Zoom app had to be done manually on my Mac as i didn't get any notifications for it earlier.

Once i updated the Zoom app on my Macbook, the Fuji Web Cam kicks in!

On another note, the Fuji X Web Cam software has a version 2 out! Do check it out for improved features.

33 minutes ago, Akhil said:

Even I had the same issue in my Mojave and extended into my Catalina update as well. Turns out the Zoom app needed to get updated on the Macbook.

For some reason, the updates on Zoom app had to be done manually on my Mac as i didn't get any notifications for it earlier.

Once i updated the Zoom app on my Macbook, the Fuji Web Cam kicks in!

On another note, the Fuji X Web Cam software has a version 2 out! Do check it out for improved features.

That is good to hear that it works for you!

The only thing that I am thinking is that perhaps the USB connections on my Macbook Pro perhaps don't deliver the right amount of power for the connection to kick in? What kind of Macbook do you use?

And do you use a normal USB cable? Whatever 'normal' means for a USB cable. 🙂 Or do you use something particular?

DID SOMEONE SAY VERSION 2?!

Surely, surely, this will fix it.  But alas: the same old thing.  Splash screen with everything updated and permissions set as permissively as possible.  Not only does it not work, but the Fuji Cam app (a) does not launch when the camera is connected and (b) all the options are greyed out when you launch it manually.  In other words, a total fail.

Someone said they'd be willing to pay someone to fix this.  Me too!  But here's thing.  I arguably did pay for it by purchasing a really expensive camera with this feature.  And honestly, that makes me want to look around at other cameras, which, I'm told, Just Work.

Steve

For me the problem was the Cable.

So..

MacBook Pro 15" 2018 Model, Catalina 10.15.6 (latest version), Fuji X-T3, USB-C cable in to the Fuji and USB-A (the wide rectangular one) in to a dongle from my Mac.

When I opened my Cam app(s) Zoom, Teams, WebEx and choose the Fuji Cam option for video input I would get the default Fuji Webcam image background but no live video.  I was pulling my hair out trying to get it to work, double checked all the camera settings, updated the Zoom, Teams, etc software... nothing.

Then I tried removing the dongle.. and using a USB-C to USB-C cable directly in to the Mac Book. BAM! works perfectly now.

Here's a list of tested USB cables from the NYT... https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-usb-c-cables/#fast-charging-and-data-transfer-for-laptops I assume any of these will work well.

Hope this helps.