joel_damien_55

FUJIFILM X Webcam not working on macOS Catalina.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had success using FUJIFILM X Webcam with macOS Catalina?

It was working for me (with my XT-3) on macOS Mojave. I installed macOS Catalina lastnight and now I can't get Google Meet (which worked previously) to display my image. It just shows the FUJIFILM X Webcam screen.

I removed FUJIFILM X Webcam and reinstalled it, did not seem to help.

According to the official documents, Catalina is supposed to be supported, so I'm wondering if anyone has had success with it.

I get close!  The installer works fine, and apps like Zoom and OBS recognize the device, but it won't, um, show any video.  I just get the Fuji splash screen.

Are people generally getting that far?  I've been over the camera settings (on my Xpro-2) a dozen times, and everything is set up correctly as far as I can tell.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, sramsay said:

I get close!  The installer works fine, and apps like Zoom and OBS recognize the device, but it won't, um, show any video.  I just get the Fuji splash screen.

Are people generally getting that far?  I've been over the camera settings (on my Xpro-2) a dozen times, and everything is set up correctly as far as I can tell.

I'm able to get that far. I see the Splash screen but my video doesn't pop up (on macOS Catalina). Worth noting that my work computer is still on macOS Mojave and I use it with the software successfully every day, so its definitely not my camera configuration. When it works successfully, you will see the splash screen for a few seconds and then your video pops up.

I had the same problem on Zoom, but another post on another forum recommended that I make sure I had the latest version of Zoom, as well as everything else. Opened Zoom, upgraded to latest version, and 'Hey Presto!' - everything works as it should. 

3 hours ago, chrisgib said:

I had the same problem on Zoom, but another post on another forum recommended that I make sure I had the latest version of Zoom, as well as everything else. Opened Zoom, upgraded to latest version, and 'Hey Presto!' - everything works as it should. 

@chrisgib what version of macOS are you using?

I'm on MacOS Catalina 10.15.6 and only after updating to the latest Zoom does the FUJIFILM X Webcam option appear and then I also had to give permission for Zoom to access some files and then everything worked.

It worked right off the bat with Google Meets and I can't get the FUJIFILM X Webcam to appear as an option for Facetime.

Thanks @MacimusPrime I believe I've figured out the solution thanks to your post. FUJIFILM X Webcam does in fact work with macOS Catalina! I noticed when I updated zoom and started using it I got a popup that said "“Zoom” would like to access files on a removable volume." After I granted access it started working.

Google Meets however still did not work. To fix that, I had to manually grant Google Chrome access to Removable Volumes. This will be true of any software you want to work with FUJIFILM X Webcam.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Files and Folders > Ensure Removable Volumes is checked for Google Chrome, zoom.us, any other browser or software you want to work.

10 hours ago, MacimusPrime said:

I can't get the FUJIFILM X Webcam to appear as an option for Facetime.

According to https://fujifilm-x.com/en-us/webcam-support/ the only software that is officially supported is: Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, Microsoft Teams. I wouldn't expect Facetime to work unless there is a browser based version.

In general I think browser based video chat software in a Chromium based browser will work. Slack for example, doesn't work as a desktop application, but will work if you used the browser based version in Chrome.

@joel_damien_55 I was so hopeful!  But I have granted every kind of permission I can think of for Zoom (and interestingly, it does not offer "removable volumes" as an option in the Files and Folders section for me -- only the Downloads folder).  And this doesn't change even I do a clean re-install and ok removable volumes during the reinstall.

That almost makes me wonder if some element of Zoom permissions persists even after the Zoom client is removed (through the app's own uninstall menu item).  But I've been all over ~/Library and /Library, and I don't see anything.