IBIS on Fuji XT-4 - How do you turn it off?

Tom W

Hello.  Very new here.  I have the Fuji XT-4 with the most current firmware as of July 2020.  In the menus there are two options for IBIS - Continuous & Shooting Only.  I can't seem to find anything in the user manual or online about this - maybe I'm not looking in the right places.   Can anyone please advise on how to turn the In Body Image Stabilization to "OFF" for shooting on a tripod?  I've heard some folks talk that you don't really need to do this as this mechanism may not introduce "shake" the way some IBIS systems do.  However, I don't see an option for OFF in the camera menu.  Just Continuous or Shooting.   Anyone have any experience they can offer?  I imagine I am just missing it.   Thanks in advance!

Tom

On 7/22/2020 at 3:38 PM, Kasumi3344 said:

Read my post that shares Ken Wheelers XT-4 book.  He goes through the ins and outs.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:38 PM, Kasumi3344 said:

Read my post that shares Ken Wheelers XT-4 book.  He goes through the ins and outs.

I'm new here.  What is your post called and where do I find it?  That is kind of a vague answer but I appreciate the reply.  

• 4 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 5:04 AM, Tom W said:

I'm new here.  What is your post called and where do I find it?  That is kind of a vague answer but I appreciate the reply.  

I agree, I'm pretty new at the X-T4 as well and I found Kasumi3344's reply a bit insulting. (Later) I read through the book Kasumi3344 offered and found the author's attitude insulting. Come on guys, why not drop the sharp, impatient, know-it-all attitude and just offer helpful information?

Edited by murigius

• 6 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 5:27 AM, LeonD said:

Are you using a lens with OIS?  If you are, turn image stabilization on and off with the lens.  

If you put a lens on the camera without OIS, OFF will suddenly appear in the menu.

Things are not so simple or consistent. One of the kit lenses, the 16-80mm F4, for example has OIS, but does not have a lens On/Off button. Rather,

"The OIS is designed to automatically detect when the camera is being used on a tripod, and therefore there is no switch to turn the OIS on/off. In fact, there are no switches on this lens at all." (quote is from a PetaPixel review). 

In my case, with the 16-80mm kit lens, the OFF option is included. I've seen YouTube guru's recommend selecting for IS mode: "Shooting Only". This way, the IBIS isn't moving internally while you are carrying the camera. So, in this case, it will be ON for hand-held shooting, and will default to OFF (at least the 16-80mm) when on a Tripod. 

On 7/22/2020 at 8:51 PM, Tom W said:

Hello.  Very new here.  I have the Fuji XT-4 with the most current firmware as of July 2020.  In the menus there are two options for IBIS - Continuous & Shooting Only.  I can't seem to find anything in the user manual or online about this - maybe I'm not looking in the right places.   Can anyone please advise on how to turn the In Body Image Stabilization to "OFF" for shooting on a tripod?  I've heard some folks talk that you don't really need to do this as this mechanism may not introduce "shake" the way some IBIS systems do.  However, I don't see an option for OFF in the camera menu.  Just Continuous or Shooting.   Anyone have any experience they can offer?  I imagine I am just missing it.   Thanks in advance!

Tom

I shot with tripod and never turned it off, no issues for me.