Sign in to follow this  
MilkAndCookiesKiller

Anyone used the Rokinon/Samyang 85mm?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello fellow Fuji enthusiast,

Was wondering if anyone have any experiences in handling the Rokinon or Samyang 85mm 1.4?

A little long for some, but from the limited images found online, I like the results. I'm not great with manual focus, but am patient enough to learn how to perfect the manual focus as much as possible. I'd like to hear your experience with this lens. 

Thanks!!

I'd like to hear your experience with this lens.

Thanks!!

I own the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. I bought it a year ago or so, since the Fuji 90mm wasn't available at that time.

Pro: distinctive look and feel of the image (if you like it)

Con: (1) it's huge and heavy, (2) colors need post processing, mostly too flat, less contrasty, and it stays that way even when stepped down, (3) chromatic abberation is quite obvious.

I would not especially recommend this lens, since Fuji has now better options available. The Rokinon gets the job done, but requires some skills, patience in post processing and will always be the heaviest lens in your bag.

I own the Rokinon 85mm f1.4. I bought it a year ago or so, since the Fuji 90mm wasn't available at that time.

Pro: distinctive look and feel of the image (if you like it)

Con: (1) it's huge and heavy, (2) colors need post processing, mostly too flat, less contrasty, and it stays that way even when stepped down, (3) chromatic abberation is quite obvious.

I would not especially recommend this lens, since Fuji has now better options available. The Rokinon gets the job done, but requires some skills, patience in post processing and will always be the heaviest lens in your bag.

The new 50 from Rokinon may be a better buy, I understand it's not a 135 FF equivalent but may be worth looking into. I find the Rokinon lenses have some of the best bokeh out there, at least on Full Frame. But for the money you could probably find an old vintage lens in a similar focal length that is just as adequate and not as heavy.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I shoot with Rokinon 85mm with Lens Turbo II all the time... here's some of it shot on X-T1 + Rokinon 85 + Lens Turbo II

I had rokinon 85mm f1.4, sold it a year later.

It had way too much CA,

soft @f1.4 but tack sharp @f2

It basically you get what you pay for lens.

btw it was almost impossible to focus @f1.4. Depending on what you will use it for, you need to consider this as well.

I'd recommend trying another good alternative within that budget - old Nikon lens  Nippon Kogaku 8.5cm f2 . It can be found in different mounts, and corresponding adapter to Fuji X is not expensive.

It's very compact rangefinder type lens and nicely fits Fuji body. The only cons is it's 1lb weight.

This lens is known as one of 3 primes that made Nikon name. It produce beautiful bokeh and nice colors, sharpness is also good. Build is very durable and solid.

I used it for about year making a lot of nice portrait shots.

I took this today with X-T1, Samyang 85mm 1.4 and a Lens Turbo II:

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3934/33229756631_669da24867_b.jpg&key=ac0130ffe13c2108fa020b6c1238b59a15a584dae06244e84d9329782c3c15d1">

Samyang 85mm f1.4 is anche amazing lens. It is cheap, with a really high aperture and also easy to use. Bokeh is sweet, colours are creamous and the focused area is really well defined.

Otherwise, construction is not perfect. After less than 18 months, my ring of diaphragm was broken and now I can use it only between 1.4 and 2.8..

I had one for a time and didn't use it anywhere as much as it deserved - for me I never really got the hang of manual lenses, but to be honest that was just being lazy!!

Anyway heres almost the only shot I took with it...

Lagging behind by John Norton, on Flickr

I had one for a time and didn't use it anywhere as much as it deserved - for me I never really got the hang of manual lenses, but to be honest that was just being lazy!!

Anyway heres almost the only shot I took with it...

Lagging behind by John Norton, on Flickr

This one is super!