Lighting

Lakshmi

Hi guys. Love this forum, thank you. 

When I’m in a well lit area, the background will be too bright, but if I drop my iso down, the subject is too dark and you can barely see any colour. Any settings or adjustments that could help with colour? I want to try adjust my scene as manually as possible. That’s why I bought this camera 😍 

thank you in advance for any responses 

RTFM. Read the Fuji Manual. 

Normally you would leave the ISO at 200 (unless there is not enough light) and adjust the exposure with Aperture and Shutter, depending on the DOF you want or whether you want to freeze movement of an object or not. 

Leave Image Preview on and you see the changes. Use the histogram. Adjust Shadows and Highlights to your liking and depending on the scene. Etc etc. 

It sounds like your subject is backlit — the light source is behind them. Try turning on your flash if you are reasonably close to the subject. That will “even things up a bit”. The front side will now have enough illumination. (Or carry reflectors, etc. around with you.) situations like you are describing are similar to what the studio photographers face, so they have a lot of experience in those areas.  And listen to George.

p.s. Read The Fuji Manual — George, ..., ...., George, I am so going to borrow that line! 😄