anyone used a Peak Design Clutch on X-E2?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think the reason has anything to do with rangefinder style, it has to do with where the metal lugs sit on the camera. The cuff needs a lug on the right side of the camera that sits very high. Otherwise it won't be very comfortable. Most DSLRs have that and there it works fine. 

I use Peak Design Cuff and Leash (depending on mood) on my X100T, works well.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey guys, I read somewhere that the Clutch from Peak Design doesn't work well on rangefinder style cameras and I'm not sure why. Has anyone tried the clutch on your Fuji?

Yeah, I bought one and am very disappointed with it.  The thing is, once it is tight enough to fit your hand whilst carrying the camera, you can't move your index finger to hit the shutter button.  So then you have to loosen the strap, which means it is no longer as comfortable or safe when carrying. 

I guess it would be better on DSLR cameras where the shutter button isn't directly on the top of the camera, but further forward.

I've used the Cuff and Leash. I've given up on them though. It's not the Leash's fault. I've just decided that my style requires a very small bag (Lowepro Event Messenger 100) and a camera with a wrist strap. No more shoulder/cross-body straps. I use the camera, and when I'm temporarily done it goes back in the bag. I know this is not a common shooting style. I don't need quick access to my camera at all times to shoot what I shoot. The Cuff is another story. I like the anchor concept in principle, but in practice I'd rather just keep the strap on the camera and slide my hand in and out frequently. The anchor system is just too fiddly and seems always in my way.

So, I've got a Gordy's on order. I'll see how that works out. You'd think camera straps would be simple things. But no. :)

I use a Gordy's on my Leica.  It's a great strap for small cameras, and I'm gonna get another for my X70 (when I get it), and my Ricoh 500ME soon.

I like the versatility of the anchor.  I have the anchors on my Pro1 and T1 and use both he cuff and the leash depending on what I'm shooting.  I've also added anchors to a lot of my SLR film cameras as well.  That's Peak Design's whole concept and it works for some, but not for others.  Only way to know is to try.

I certainly don't think I'd like to have my hand attached to the grip though, so never had a desire to try the clutch.

Luke I already wrote in another thread. So I just quote myself:

"I have no experience with hand straps on Fuji myself. But the upright shutter release button of the Fuji make the use of hand straps less ergonomic than the more to the front tilted buttons of most other modern cameras. In fact, I remember that one manufacturer of hand straps gave this reason why he does not recommend his hand straps for Fuji X cameras."