Can someone explain the different click sounds when pressing shutter button on X-T4?

bem

Hi all,

I'm new to X-T4 (I have only used it for 3 days so far).
Can someone explain what  the different click sounds tell me when I press the  shutter button?

In most cases it is that nice little slow "cliiiick", soft and nice.
Then suddenly there is a horrible short and hard CLICK sound (schhhhh) when I press the shutter button.
First I thought the shutter had broken but later it was that nice little slow "cliiiick", soft and nice.
But soon that horrible click sound was there again now and then. I was confused since I did know what this
strange sound was trying to tell me, I still do not know.
It almost feels that the sound came from the LCD but it can not be I suppose.
Even in bright sun this happen now and then so it can not be any light condition problem I suppose.
Is it something with the focus the camera is trying to tell me?
Is it when the camera is unable to focus properly this terrible sound is used when pressing the shutter button?
Sorry for asking maybe such basic question but for me it just a mistery at present. I have never used a Fujifilm camera before.
Thanks,
Bo (Sweden)

Edited by bem

Now when I look at the photos that I took today with my X-T4 I maybe understand what the terrible click sound tell me - "this is going to be a terrible photo quality".
I have this lens on my X-T4: Fujinon XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR.
This is an example below of a photo after the terrible click sound was heard - see the church, very bad quality.
Example of photo when I heard proper click - see white house with the three cherries in foreground. It is OK but lacks sharpness and notice the river under the bridge is just a black hole.
The arch under the bridge where water is flowing is suppose to look like this... - see last photo.
It is obvious a light and a focus problem here as I understand it. I have used most Auto settings in the camera since I'm new to it.
I have hundreds of horrible photos after  today that is just to throw in the recycle bin, like the first photo of the church.
I have to figure out what I'm doing wrong or need to change in the camera settings.
I just do not understand... It was a beautiful day with sunshine.
Seems this camera is very picky as soon as there is slightest shaddow somewhere in the photo area despite full sunshine? I have looked at the photos taken during the 3 days I have used it so far and even in bright sunshine I get not so good photos. The camera is so picky with slightest shaddow in vicinity and then it just a black area there in the photo. I'm sure if I have taken a photo with my iPhone at same moment it would have been very good...
My iPhone gives super photos compared to this camera, so far, but that is obviosly because I do not understand the X-T4 camera settings yet. I have read whole X-T4 user manual (before I took all the photos today). That did not help, I did not understand all, as expected, so I need to learn more to understand a Fujifilm user manual better and probably much more.
It will probably be a steep learning curve with this camera... :)
Is there any good book on the X-T4 "how to" or good video tutorial to set me on right track?
I'm willing to learn :)
This camera is obviously for a pro photographer and I'm not I can assure You :)

I have before used mostly my faithful iPhone since I take photos mostly in terrain and conditions I just can not drag a heavy camera with me (like an X-T4). An iPhone gives so nice photos (good enough for me), so I just doubt if an X-T4 will be that much better (for me) in situations I can drag the X-T4 with me. I will probably get an Iphone 12 when it is released later this year, it is suppose to have excellent camera. If that is the case my X-T4 will probably be used only when I walk (and that is not often, I run alot and then a light "camera" is only option, like an iPhone). I have taken tens of thousands photos with iPhones and not many photos I needed to throw in recycle bin... But today I need to throw hundreds of photos taken with my X-T4 in recycle bin - new record :)
Well, live and learn...

/Bo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bem

Compare the photo on the church in previous post taken with the X-T4 and photo taken with my iPhone some days ago on same church in this post.
It is a mystery to me why the photo taken with the X-T4 is so bad quality.
And the light condition was hard when I took the photo with my iPhone - it was at evening at half past eight  just some days ago and dark grey clouds in the sky.
/Bo

Edited by bem

I just do not understand what cause the blurry images taken with my X-T4.
Light conditions was good - sunshine.
The few photos that is OK that I took with the X-T4 today lacks sharpness, clarity, and is too dark.
Maybe this camera is too advanced to me but I'm willing to learn.
On the other hand must a camera be so difficult to use to be able to get reasonably quality photos without need to take almost a degree in photography with a fujifilm camera? :)

/Bo

Edited by bem

20 hours ago, Chr said:

That's really surprising, Bem. I extremely happy with my XT-4, even with full auto settings. Do you have any filter active? 

Hi Chr,
I have the "Drive dial" on top to the left on the camera set to HDR now (I have not touched that dial yet).

HDR, High Dynamic Range (is according to user manual):
Each time the shutter button is pressed, the camera takes three shots, varying exposure each time, and combines
them into a single picture. The resulting photograph preserves details in highlights and shadows.

To use Effects one need to set the Drive dial to ADV (=Advanced Filters), and then a selected filter in Shooting Setting, Drive setting, ADV. Filter Setting will be used). I have checked now and the Drive dial is still set to HDR.
/Bo

Edited by bem

Aaron,

I have checked all settings now in my X-T4 camera and set all I can see in settings pages to Auto.
I have Focus mode selector set to S since I take photos of stationary objects.
I will take some photos of the church later when it has stopped raining (if it stops) :)
Forecast here is rain all day and little better tomorrow afternoon so it will probably not be until early evening tomorrow I will take new photos of the church.
/Bo

Edited by bem

Hi,

It stopped raining for a while and I took two photos of the church. I have used Auto on all settings I can find in the camera settings.
I had the camera set to Autofocus mode S (Single, for stationary objects).
The photos are not fuzzy but not sharp really. And way to dark. The trees was beautifully green when I watched them with my eyes but in the photo it is all black. It is a mystery to me. I can quarantee if I had taken same photos with my iPhone it would have been great photos, sharp and vibrant colors. I have a photo I took of the park in my town some says ago in sunshine with my iPhone, see last photo. I took same photo with my X-T4 the other day, but it was terrible, only place that photo belong is in a recycle bin.
/Bo

Edited by bem

My brand new X-T4 (used it for 6 days only) was returend to the reseller yesterday, after advice from Fujifilm Nordic support to do so.
I hope the new I will get next week as replacement (both a new X-T4 and a new lens XF 16-80 mm F4 R OIS WR) will work OK.
I use two Sony Tough SD cards, SF-G64T, and they should be on the comptibility list (the Sony G-series SF-G SD cards are on the list, not specifically the one with a T in, like SF-G64T that I have but my cards I suppose must be be compatible also, make no sense otherwise to me. T cards are basically same card as SF-G, just faster write speed on T cards then non T Sony G-series cards and the T is more durable card also, that is what "Tough" stands for).

/Bo 

Edited by bem